Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

AEM ebay outlet store

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:51 AM

Default AEM ebay outlet store

1st, i wanna say that i did search for a couple of days now, if this topic was already stated but i found nothing. I want to apologize if it has been already covered.

Has anyone purchased an AEM intake from the AEM outlet store on ebay? I've been looking for a decent intake for my gf's 06 xB and i'm on a budget. I found AEM intakes from the AEM outlet store on ebay for 95 dollars but they are closeout and/or discontinued.

Here is the item i was looking at:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-P...Q5fAccessories

And here is the store: http://stores.ebay.com/aem-outlet_In...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Do you guys think that would be an issue? were they closeout and/or discontinued for a reason? Any info on this would be great guys and gals. I love this forum and everyone seems to be so helpful.

-Rock on
Old 02-26-2009, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

It's a pretty good price and they have good feedback. I'd say go for it.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AEM cold air intake

Busterhimself:

One thing i noticed was the ebay CAI you mentioned did NOT have the special bypass valve in the middle piping. There's only a rubber connector shown where that bypass valve would be located.

One potential problem for all CAIs is hydrolocking of the motor caused by ingestion of water thru the low-mounted filter. The bypass valve detects the initial pressure difference caused by water instead of air and opens to allow ONLY air to reach the motor.

If this ebay AEM CAI doesn't have that filter, you may want to buy one online from AEM, TireRack, etc. websites. Manufacturer Part #: 20-400S. Cost, about $50 vs a new top-end for your motor. Just MHO . . .
Old 02-26-2009, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

This was an xB question, but fyi - the bypass has been discussed in several tC threads. Unless the filter end of the intake is completely submerged, the chances of hydro-locking are very slim. If a puddle is that deep, you shouldn't be attempting to go through it anyway. I've got 86K miles on my tC, never had an issue - and I'm in the Northeast, where we do have rain, and puddles.
Again, from a tC standpoint, I have an Injen; I know a few people with Fujitas, and one or two with a K&N. I don't know anyone with an AEM.
That's not to say an AEM intake is any less of an intake than the others. In theory, they all should be about the same - it's a piece of pipe, all with very similar filters on the end. Performance gain is minimal, it's mainly for looks. Sounds a little better too.

If price is your main consideration, I'd say the AEM would be fine. They're likely closeouts, simply for the fact that AEM does not sell as many as Injen and Fujita for Scions, and they're sitting on excess inventory.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:22 PM

Thanks a lot for the input guys!

Short bus, i would have never thought of that. thats a great piece of info.

if anyone else has anymore input that would be great also.