Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Injen SES exhaust

Hey any one have the Injen SES2100 exhaust for the xB? If so any sound clips or video would be appreciated. Injen claims 3.2+ HP off of this thing and I am being offered one for $40 + stock exhaust.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

FYI - I have had a Borla cat-back since Oct 2004 (purchased xB in April 04). Never had a problem and it doesn't sound like an angry can of bees!

noticable benefits: 1) having to lift off the gas going into turns I used to keep the throttle pegged in, 2) Sound doesn't fill the cabin 3) it filled the mouse hole in the skirt really nice!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

not sure who made mine, i got it off of ebay used, but I have an elipser exhaust. Sounds good, looks great, was totally worth it.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Just picked up my Scion XA last Sunday. The first thing I did was buy a Tanabe Medallion catback, a Bomz intake, a K&N cone, and a pretty nice 4-1 speed daddy header. Not looking for any huge power numbers, just for better gas mileage and a throatier sound.

Since then I've bought Katzkin leather seats and a Pioneer AVH-P6000DVD player with all the bells and whistles. Should be comfy.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kkburt1
rs-r has axle back for scion xa on clearance for 100.00 and 25.00 for shipping. i put it on my car in about 40 min and sounds really healthy has a rumble to it and i can feel a diffrence on highway when i get on it. picks up speed better. worth the money and you cant find a cheaper axleback any where for this price get them before they are gone and they come with a silencer. check out rs-r on line and find there clearance site
I placed an order according to the quote above. Shipping is a little bit more now. About 135 total. http://www.rs-r.com/store/pc/viewPrd...&idproduct=136
When I have it installed I'll give a review.

Edit: I have it installed and it sounds great. I feel the gain and hp boost. Its not too loud either and fits perfectly.

Anyone know how i can rearrange it to make it lower so it won't burn my bumper?

Last edited by itscurtsk; 09-12-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bumpssss
Old 08-13-2011, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since this is a buyers guide, I will give my review of 2 different exhaust systems for the xB (since these are the 2 I have experience with).

I see alot of posts in this "buyer's guide" where people keep just posting that one system or another is the best, and only because it happens to be the one that's on their vehicle. I don't claim to know which system is the best, but I can tell what experiences I've had with a couple of them (just in case someone actually looks at this thread to get ideas on what system to buy- or not buy).

5zigen "fireball" axelback-
Install was super easy. It tool about 1 minute to unbolt the old system...about 10 minutes to get it off of the rubber hangers, and about 5 minutes to get the 5zigen on and adjusted properly.

It has a good deep sound, and not much louder than the stock exhaust... just deeper.

Performance... who knows? My butt duno said it was peppier, but maybe it just sounded more powerful.

What I found to be bad with this system- It has a small resonater can right at the pipe bend above the rear axel, so anytime you made a sharp turn it would vibrate a little. It wasn't terrible, but it annoyed the crap out of me. Also, only the muffler itself is stainless steel. The rest of the piping is not. I had this system for years in SoCal, but after 1 winter of salted northern roads, the whole piping started to rust and decay from the axel all the way to the muffler. It rapidly decayed to the point of having holes and starting to detach from the muffler

I don't really recommend this one to anybody (which is okay, because I doubt it's made anymore).

Magnaflow catback exhaust-
Install was not so easy. It requires that you cut the exhaust from behind the cat. This was fine. ...The problem was that I had done my own measuring, but decided to follow the included Magnaflow directions. It says to cut the pipe from "approimately 4 inches from the center of the second O2 sensor". In reality it's more like 3 inches behind it, so I had to remove the whole thing in order to cut it shoreter and get the exhaust off of the gast tank heat shield.
This is not a complaint, just a heads up. Don't expect installing a cat back by yourself to ever be easy.
Aside from the above, the system fits perfectly!! Nice and snug. Flexible, but not just swinging around on the hangers like alot of other systems.

Sound- It has a nice deep growl. Nothing like a fart-can-Honda at all. Maybe the deepest sounding exhaust I've heard on a first gen xB.

Performance- I don't know if I can say that it is so much faster, but it definitely drives differently now. It was noticable the first time out after installing. I don't think I gained anything from a stop, but it isn't any less responsive. It's at higher RPMs where I can truly feel a difference. So much easier to get up to speed on the highway!!

I don't have anything negative to say about this exhaust. Very solid. Well made. Stainless steel all the way from the cat back. Good weld job.

I would recommend the Maganflow system to anybody.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 06 Xbs stock exhaust just rusted through, needs replacing with something new - Midas wanted 1200 for a new stock exhaust and labor to install it - but I think I'd prefer to source my own stainless and have them (or a friend) install it.

Digging through this thread, I'm finding lots of axleback info, but can anyone recommend a reasonably priced catback steel replacement? Not looking for performance or sound differences (wifes car) - just something nicer than OEM!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRD exhaust? i think it's axleback only though. usually most catbacks will make it louder i think.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member

Just orderd a Tsudo Axelback should be devl. soon will let ya know how I like it on my autoxb cai and possible headers next but one thing at a time gotta save for Asylum.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Knhtrdr
Just orderd a Tsudo Axelback should be devl. soon will let ya know how I like it on my autoxb cai and possible headers next but one thing at a time gotta save for Asylum.
Itz here! will intsall today or tomorrow
Old 05-01-2012, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is the pipe that comes with the catback that doesn't come with the axleback? is it the resonator? i have an axleback and i don't want to get a whole catback system, just the extra part. so what is it that i need?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by itscurtsk
what is the pipe that comes with the catback that doesn't come with the axleback? is it the resonator? i have an axleback and i don't want to get a whole catback system, just the extra part. so what is it that i need?
I THINK its called a mid pipe? I think im wrong but hopefully some one will correct.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member

'Tsudo Axel back installed sounds great a lil more peppy on starts, and on hwy with windows up a bit loud inside but can fix wit some soundproofing. A little bit of modding to get more space between exhaust outlet and bumper.
Attached Thumbnails Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Exhaust-20120501_151455.jpg  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Knhtrdr
'Tsudo Axel back installed sounds great a lil more peppy on starts, and on hwy with windows up a bit loud inside but can fix wit some soundproofing. A little bit of modding to get more space between exhaust outlet and bumper.
Ive got the same exhaust. The drone in side the cab in loud. At highway speeds, dont even bother trying to talk cause the drone is bad. If i had my stock muffler id put it back on. Im gona have my shop weld the muffler on cause the stock clamp doesnt get it tight and over time it'll come lose. Im lowered and the axle hits. Im then gona cut the muffler off and weld a new one one. Im thinking flowmaster or magnaflow.

my .02

J.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06ToasterBox
Ive got the same exhaust. The drone in side the cab in loud. At highway speeds, dont even bother trying to talk cause the drone is bad. If i had my stock muffler id put it back on. Im gona have my shop weld the muffler on cause the stock clamp doesnt get it tight and over time it'll come lose. Im lowered and the axle hits. Im then gona cut the muffler off and weld a new one one. Im thinking flowmaster or magnaflow.

my .02

J.
Im lowered also now and it does hit the axle every once in a while gotta find a fix for that. Ive gotten use to the drone now its actually lower than when I first got on the hwy. I like IT!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so I tried reading through this thread but it is so all over the place with no centralized info, and I don't want to spend 2 hours reading through ten pages. I have an itch to mod something and my wife has her 04 xa and we just bought a 2012 gmc terrain suv so her scion is gonna get the butt end of the stick. I drive the scion a lot around town and have for a couple years and quite frankly, I hate it. Coming from muscle cars to this little box with a lawnmower engine, the performance is just sad. From what I have been reading, I won't get a big difference in power but should be noticeable from a stop and have better hwy power which is what this car lacks. I HATE 4 bangers that sounds like a swarm of ____ed off bees with a giant can hanging off the exhaust. I am looking for slightly louder then stock with deep tone but not obnoxious drone, something tasteful to look at, but also has a good performance aspect. What do you guys think? I am looking to do a full exhaust swap
Old 05-24-2012, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

save your money and don't do it ^^^ if you want a louder sound, just buy some universal muffler and get it weld on.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, is loud the only thing you got from my post. thats the one thing i dont want a lot of if you read it. i was asking to be pointed in a direction towards a decent exhaust but i already figured out what i am doing.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow to you .... i did read. "I am looking for slightly louder then stock with deep tone but not obnoxious drone..." you use the word louder, i use the word louder. is there another meaning to louder? you tell me. as for performance wise, you won't get much, maybe like 1-2hp. add on an intake and header then you got something worth settling for.

Quick Reply: Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Exhaust