Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Exhaust - Page 11 - Scionlife.com

Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Old 05-25-2012, 03:29 AM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by taman86 View Post
Ok so I tried reading through this thread but it is so all over the place with no centralized info, and I don't want to spend 2 hours reading through ten pages. I have an itch to mod something and my wife has her 04 xa and we just bought a 2012 gmc terrain suv so her scion is gonna get the butt end of the stick. I drive the scion a lot around town and have for a couple years and quite frankly, I hate it. Coming from muscle cars to this little box with a lawnmower engine, the performance is just sad. From what I have been reading, I won't get a big difference in power but should be noticeable from a stop and have better hwy power which is what this car lacks. I HATE 4 bangers that sounds like a swarm of ____ed off bees with a giant can hanging off the exhaust. I am looking for slightly louder then stock with deep tone but not obnoxious drone, something tasteful to look at, but also has a good performance aspect. What do you guys think? I am looking to do a full exhaust swap
My .02 a Borla if u wanna go full exhaust.
Knhtrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #202

Like most enthusiasts, I like to hear my engine, but I think it's silly to spend $300 or more just for a little more sound, and little or no performance gain.

Has anyone tried messing with the stock muffler tip? If you just want a touch more engine sound, it might be enough. When the tip on my wife's Civic rusted off it made a very nice little burble. Unfortunately my wife didn't like it, so she had it fixed.

I also found I could adjust the tone and volume on my WRX, which has an aftermarket muffler with a removeable tip, by using different lengths and diameters of pipe for the tip. Made a big difference.

When I get around to it, I'm going to try cutting off the tip on my box, and messing with different sizes of pipe. Can't hurt, I should be able to reinstall the stock tip if I want, by using an adaptor from the auto parts store.

Another cheap way to get a little more sound would be having a mild steel performance muffler installed. Mild steel is much cheaper, and will last at least 5 years in the rust belt, probably longer. Muffler is about $50, get it installed at the local muffler shop for - guessing here - another $50. Here's some cheap (or should I say inexpensive) mufflers: http://www.jegs.com/vpt/Dynomax/Muff...FQ6CQgodwyAAOQ
Greasyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #203
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone ever end up going with the Invidia cat-back? Considering getting rid of my Greddy axle-back, and picking one up. My brother-in-law has a Magnaflow cat-back, and I personally do not like the exhaust note on his. I want to sound a little different from him, but have the power he does, as there is a noticeable power difference between our 2 boxes with the only difference in bolt-ons being that he has the cat-back, and I only have axle-back.
mike93civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #204

Im such a car noob...but if I were to add an exhaust how much would it take from mpg
rissypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #205
5 Year Member
SL Member

you wont really notice too much a difference plus or minus. It all depends on how your right foot works for you.
firesquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:11 AM   #206

My muffler is rusting out. I need to replace. This one is 200 delivered. I saw some on ebay for 100 or less. Any good?
uwintoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #207
SL Member

for the xa? brand? where are you located?
itscurtsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #208

guys, so i work at oreilly auto parts and i want to do some upgrading to the xb. I would like to start out first with the exhaust. This exhaust system we sell i dont know if it gives performance, i mean i know i wont get it right away but after upgrading exhaust manifold and intake manifold with cai will give me a increase in power. so will that exhaust system give me a boost even if i dont upgrade the other parts? MagnaFlow Street Series 15822 - Exhaust System | O'Reilly Auto Parts
fpresiado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #209
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone know of a replacment muffler that's as good as my '06 XB 10-yr-old OEM muffler?

I plan on keeping it for another ten years.
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #210
5 Year Member

I'll offer my two cents. In all of my years of owning and driving Toyota products (going back to my first one - a 1976 Toyota Corolla SR5 Hatchback), nothing compares to the quality and durability of OEM Toyota parts. So my vote would be for an OEM Toyota exhaust system. Sure they're expensive - if you can even find one - but they're worth it.

BTW, I have a Borla stainless steel system on my 2006 xB and the fit and finish are not up to OEM standards. I do like the sound better though.
2stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #211
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go with oem, i replaced my whole system back to oem after i got tired of replacing my exhaust every 2 years. i rather hear my stereo system than the drone of the exhaust i had, i'm not looking back
jct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:37 AM   #212

I suggest a 40 series flowmaster great performance wise
JDM_Toast is offline   Reply With Quote