Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so between "Strup Performance Axle Back Exhaust" and "DC Sports single canister axleback" what should I get?

I've seen a vid of how the strup sounds. Hows does it compare to DC? and what about performance and installation?

thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member

Does anyone know is the Strup for the xA is any different than the xB version?
Old 12-15-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by solrac88
Does anyone know is the Strup for the xA is any different than the xB version?
The hangers are different between the xA and xB.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by lost1nceaga1n
so between "Strup Performance Axle Back Exhaust" and "DC Sports single canister axleback" what should I get?

I've seen a vid of how the strup sounds. Hows does it compare to DC? and what about performance and installation?

thanks
I never heard the Strup in person but I owned a DC for a while. I got rid of it because it was too loud for me. Also, I didn't like the 4" cut tip or the way that it was angled.

DC Sports:

DC Sport video:

I like the Tanabe Medallion Touring I got much better.

Tanabe video

Old 12-27-2006, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

okay..this might sound like repeating but I got a little lost in reading all the exhaust stuff up there. I have a 2005 XB and I want to put an inexspensive nice throaty sounding exhaust on it, if that makes sense. Can someone give me a name of something that will not screw up my warrenty and make my car sound good at the same time? possible something that I can put on myself? I have some experience working on cars (I went through about 2 years of college for it) however, most of my work was on a 1968 Ford Mustang and it was also a while back. I apologize if this information has already been given but I'm new here and like I said I got a little lost as to which one is better, won't ruin a warrenty, easy to put on etc. Thanks so much for any help you can give me
Old 01-03-2007, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hayalex6
Originally Posted by nightwishkid
i vote strup i got it and the more u dive the hotter it gets the louder it goes and it is bad for long trips. i just put my stock on for a road trip i was sad cause it didnt have much "umph" with out it. i got back waited a wile and i drone for 2 hrs. then after 30 min. that it had set i changed it back to strup and it is a noticeable diff. i dont rellay know how loud it is out side no 1 drives my car but it gets loud inside after a wile. and i try to go slow in neighborhoods to friend houses and they will be at the door b4 i go outside they say they can hear me (that might be my sound system tho). i heard it soulds better with the strup headers. sum 1 told me its a deeper sound but i didnt ask about how it is on long trips. ok thats my 2 cents.
something is wrong with today's schools.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CinSity Scions
SL Member

nice
Old 01-04-2007, 04:00 PM
CXT
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

soo i read thru all of this and still don't know which one 2 get. I am leaning towards precision
Old 01-06-2007, 04:09 AM
Banned
SL Member

I don't think anyone can find a DC any cheaper.

This is just a few bucks more than a 'style' exhaust aka knock-off.

I didn't think I was gonna get an American made one, but the quirky slant of it sorta fits a quirky car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DC-Sp...QQcmdZViewItem

I got it from this guy in 24 hours! Then ran up to Meineke that afternoon.

I love it and since getting the new gasket and clamp (Meineke suggested it)
I feel the loudness isn't an issue anymore.

Before the new gasket I was a little concerned.

I always thought they came with a predrilled hole for a silencer but this one does not.

Now I don't really care.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default borla exhaust

i have the borla exhaust on my 06 BOP LunchBox and it sounds great, very deep sound that you would expect from borla on a 4 cylinder.

the fitment is great, it actually sits right in the middle of the bumper exhaust outlet.
no rubbing or moving. (if you have adjusted or bent your hangers i cant guarantee the same fitment) mine was added in replacement of stock. i test drove my xb at the dealer with stock exhaust and the borla was added the day i picked my xb up. it sticks out just far enough for show also feature what i think is called a "rolled lip"

pros:
-sounds great for aftermarket
-looks good/great fitment
-gives peppy feel when accelerating

cons:
pricey - was about $450 as added dealer option
is a different look than the tip attached to the actual exhaust canister type like HKS or Greddy evo- I actually love the look of the Greddy Evo but dont want a stock sounding exhaust. I also love the look and sound of the HKS but dont wanna worry about fitment with bumper/skirt or melting/rubbing.

hope this helps!
Old 01-26-2007, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where can I find more info on Toyota's "Valve Tuned Muffler"? I'm really interested in how this all works, but I am having a tough time locating info on it.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by ShadowOnTheBayou
Where can I find more info on Toyota's "Valve Tuned Muffler"? I'm really interested in how this all works, but I am having a tough time locating info on it.

Thanks!
Here's the post you are looking for...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...+exhaust+valve
Old 02-13-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i went with the strup performance exhaust for my xA... best exhaust out there in my opinion, and its been turning heads too. went with the headers as well and together they form an awesome system with noticeable performance gains
Old 02-21-2007, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Exhaust Me?

Originally Posted by Doctorsub
How are the Tanabe exhausts? Any word how well it matches with the Injen xb short intake?
I purchased a Tanabe axleback. It seems to have improved HP (but only slightly, if at all). I also installed a short ram at the same time, so the slight HP gain is surely a result of both mod's. Here is a link to a video where we were driving through a parking garage in Louisville KY (going to see a Dweezil Zappa concert). You can get an idea of the exhaust tone (no silencer). Please excuse the goofyness of the video, I never thought I would be posting it anywhere! Hope this helps.

Rob

http://media.putfile.com/Zappa-Plays...parking-garage
Old 03-12-2007, 07:42 AM

Default exhaust????

i need an exhaust for my xb...whats the best exhaust to gain the best hp. and not with that ricy sound..im lookin for the deep tone...please help thankss....
Old 03-12-2007, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: exhaust????

Originally Posted by HOTBOX20
i need an exhaust for my xb...whats the best exhaust to gain the best hp. and not with that ricy sound..im lookin for the deep tone...please help thankss....
Dyno results have shown that axle backs only net 1-2hp. Get one you like for style and sound. For deep tone and no resonance get a TRD or Tanabe. Gredy is supposed to be deep and not too loud but I haven't heard one in person.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im on my second exhaust. here is my reviews

i started exhaust life with a Blitz NuR spec axle back. the sexiest looking exhaust can/ muffler i ever seen. the muffler looks exactly like this but this is obsousley not the bumper of an xB

pros and cons.

1. quiet but you can feel the added power
2. pricey but was built very well in japan. polished stainless steel looked sexy too

unfortunately the weld on one of the hangers i guess got too hot and separated from the exhaust itself. causing an exhaust leak. this was easily fixed with some muffler band aid. i sold it and it still is in use by the second owner and he loves it as much as i do. his screen name is pballplayer18 i think. hes lurking in the NC forums. he has an auto PW xB

The exhaust i have now is the Strup V2.0

i love it to death and i smile every time i get on it. its a muscular tone and just loud enough for me, (my last car was twice as loud but to each their own)

my buddy took my car around the block and says it doesn't sound like a 1.5! and it sounds nice on the outside too. your not looking for a 1.5 scion when you hear it.

pros & cons

1. love it, good tone good price (if you get a sponsorship like i did :-P) otherwise its pricey.

2. polished stainless steel from tip to tip. easy to clean and still stays shiny.

3. one or two problems i faced was the muffler melting the lip. this was fixed with tweaking the muffler gasket, a heavy duty zip tie, (this thing is beefy) and a foam beer can holder. to keep the hanger closest to the rear of the car to prevent vibration on the "frame rails".

The drone is a little much for some. but i love it. it turns heads on those Honda kids.
the other problem im starting to face and this maybe only for the salty snowy regions of the US. i haven't asked anyone else yet. the tip of my muffler is starting to bronze a bit. i think from the salt. it looks ugly to me but it might just be something else that made it turn a light bronze color. but i love it. and will never get rid of it unless ill get a brand new one identical to the one i have. its so pretty ans shiny, its a same nobody can see it :-(

Blitz at the time i purchased it was around 350
the Strup i think retails for about the same.

www.partshippers.com or PM lip on here. tell him firesquare sent you

oh and for installation instructions.
it should take less then 10 minutes for removal and install of old and new. if it takes longer then 30, the stop what your doing, and call someone that knows what to do. simple hand tools is all you need, and maybe a beer for those that are 21 and older.

but don't drink the beer and drive the car, now thats illegal ;-)
Old 04-04-2007, 11:12 PM

hi im new here but have had 4 other cars with work done to them so im not a complete noob. what exhaust comes on the 2.0 series?

i would like to see pics of the tanabe exhaust system from the soundbite i heard of it it sounded great. thanks alot
Old 04-04-2007, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

on the xB RS2, is the DC sports axleback
Old 04-05-2007, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by slammed4door
hi im new here but have had 4 other cars with work done to them so im not a complete noob. what exhaust comes on the 2.0 series?

i would like to see pics of the tanabe exhaust system from the soundbite i heard of it it sounded great. thanks alot
They're on the same post above with the video clip. The 2 bottom pics are the Tanabe.

Quick Reply: Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Exhaust