Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, I finally figure out how to post pics, now just have flip the order they should be seen in. The black grille doesnt give up the slots near as easily. Just have to change out the grille for monsoon days. Oh, btw, it loves cold air days. I can put a cold pack in it during the summer, theres room. Havent doen it yet. Cant do that with the typical pipe setup.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The grille work looks great mike! How does the Volant airbox feel? Do you have water issues with that external vent in your grille?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks...I have two other stock grilles for now. If it looks like its going to monsoon rain, I change it out. Like the last few days, nasty out. I did drive through a big bunch of rain once, with the slotted grille. I took everything apart and cleaned it out. A small hole in the bottom of the airbox would have taken care of that. It really wasnt a prblem though. It was like uncontrolled water injection..lol.
The Volant works well, Ive made all my mods for increases in airspeed. Im not going to do any dyno work, its all been by seat of the pants. Im getting the good weaponr 4-2-1 this friday, it should really cap off the combination.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i have the injen short ram and with no header or exhaust it sounds pretty good. sounds real throaty when you get on it around 3k and after that it sounds pretty good too
Old 09-17-2008, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Bringing it back from the dead, Perrin is blowing out their remaining Scion stock and dropping Scion product line, so $110 now gets you their intake (another $110 gets you their exhaust as well)

I should have a review in a week or 2.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-20-2019 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 09-19-2008, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by captdownshift
bringing it back from the dead, perrin is blowing out their remaining scion stock and dropping scion product line, so $110 now gets you their intake (another $110 gets you their exhaust as well)

i should have a review in a week or 2
Thanks for the heads up, I just picked one up from them yesterday. I'll give my 2 cents once it's in.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

I got mine in last night (along with the Perrin axle back exhaust) and it makes a nice difference, esp above 3500 it seems to breathe better. above 5000rpms the car used to feel like it was in pain and now it keeps pulling til close to Redline.

The butt-dyno isn't telling me any def. gain in power, but the power band is much longer, mid range is now from 2500-5000 where before things started to fall off around 4300-4400

Install was a bit of a pain in the butt due to having to remove the one grommet from the OEM setup for the crankcase ventilation. other then that is was easy and straight forward. I left the factory snorkle in after removing the airbox to have some added airflow in the engine bay, it doesn't increase airflow around where the intake draws from, but any added airflow is good and it should help cool the exhaust manifold a lot. the entire drivers side of the engine bay has REALLY opened up (to the point that if i relocated my battery to the hatch a 1/3 of it would be completely empty). The filter fit very snug against the back of the grill (i had to remove a train horn ) and almost touched the intake manifold. i wasn't sure where to mount the supplied support bracket as the instructions didn't show or describe where (other then off the upper rad support) so i didn't install it, the setup is well supported without it anyways thanks to high quality stiff silicone plumbing. i will say be sure to wash and blow out all the pieces before install as mine were full of packing peanuts.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-20-2019 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i know ive seen why in a earlier post but why do they make parts only up too 05 i heard its all the same except for an inspection purpose, but if i get an intake thats for an 05 but not ok will it throw the cel and will it all bolt up?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Psy-ON
i know ive seen why in a earlier post but why do they make parts only up too 05 i heard its all the same except for an inspection purpose, but if i get an intake thats for an 05 but not ok will it throw the cel and will it all bolt up?
The emissions changes in the 06 (and some 05.5) have a different filter setup. This change nulls any potential intakes for our cars. Now then, if you don't live in the state of california... install away. Also, keep the OEM stuff just in case you do need to perform an emissions test.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 AM
lem
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default SRI's

I have a '06 xB with Fog lights.

Will finally put in a Short Ram Intake, Injen and Fujita have been praised well here.

Which one will not be an issue with the fog lights? I have read all the posts but I just want to make sure. Thank You!!

Lem

_______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-20-2019 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 03-21-2010, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just received a BOMZ intake that I ordered for like $35. Ordered a K&N cone filter for around $50. When the filter comes in I'll let you know what I think of it.

BTW, the Bomz piping doesn't look too bad. I was actually thinking of heat wrapping it but decided not to.

I'm actually going to spend a couple hours and install a cheapy header (speed daddy), Tanabe exhaust, and the KN/Bomz intake all at the same time. I went hella cheap except for the exhaust everything was under $50. Everything together will end up being less than $400. Not bad, and should get a few mpg better too. I get about 33.5mpg as it sits stock so I'll see what it is afterwards.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SilentSide
I just received a BOMZ intake that I ordered for like $35. Ordered a K&N cone filter for around $50. When the filter comes in I'll let you know what I think of it.

BTW, the Bomz piping doesn't look too bad. I was actually thinking of heat wrapping it but decided not to.

I'm actually going to spend a couple hours and install a cheapy header (speed daddy), Tanabe exhaust, and the KN/Bomz intake all at the same time. I went hella cheap except for the exhaust everything was under $50. Everything together will end up being less than $400. Not bad, and should get a few mpg better too. I get about 33.5mpg as it sits stock so I'll see what it is afterwards.
Just curious if you had any updates. I've messed with v8's for to many years and have always had the best results of shortest pipping to the inner fender well. Has the Weapon R intake gotten any better or is it just junk?
Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

As right now which is the best intake for the Scion xA?

K&N Typhoon CAI?

Thank you

_________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-20-2019 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 09-30-2010, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

any thoughts on Scion xA 2004-2006 Fujita Short Ram Intake?
pros cons?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FredyMendez
any thoughts on Scion xA 2004-2006 Fujita Short Ram Intake?
pros cons?
i have a fujita sri on my 05' xA. can feel the hp gain and hear the difference. don't have to worry about raining days. can hear the difference. it's not loud or anything. can't really hear it unless you gas it really hard or something. if you have an exhaust to go with it, i wouldn't worry about the sound from the SRI. Con: its not CARB legal. Injen SRI is CARB legal ONLY for 04'.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by FredyMendez
As right now which is the best intake for the Scion xA?

K&N Typhoon CAI?

Thank you
I have the same question as him, What's the best intake for the xA? Prefer cold air personally.

_________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-20-2019 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 09-24-2011, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMO - Injen or Fujita, they have good reputation.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-20-2019 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by MyxA
Just curious if you had any updates. I've messed with v8's for to many years and have always had the best results of shortest pipping to the inner fender well. Has the Weapon R intake gotten any better or is it just junk?
K&n came in the wrong size so I've been running the bomz filter since install. Runs perfect. Cleaned filter today. Not much hp gains but u feel the difference in the mids.
Ended up getting very frustrated on the header install. A oe bolt was stripped so I gave up.
The tanabe exhaust is pretty good for axle back system.
My only complaint is the cabin noise on the highway mostly caused by the high rpms at high speeds.

I really can't comment on weapon r. Never messed w em
Old 03-17-2013, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member

Default AFE Intake?

AFE Magnum FORCE Stage-2 PRO DRY S Air Intake any insight on this product?

Been looking for an intake and trying to get a good idea of what I want.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-21-2020 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Year Badge
Old 11-26-2013, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Angry AEM TRD CA legal Broken chunk fell out........!

Well well well, seems you are right about the AEM intake Breaking and sucking unfiltered air in! Checked mine the other day and there is a quarter sized hole in the housing where the attachment arm is welded on! Intake is flopping around like a wet noodle, although I never heard any rattling.
I will try to contact AEM about it and see what they say, although I did not save my original paperwork. I hate that you can spend almost $400 on aluminum piping and a filter, and one random day it just snaps off for no reason sucking dust dirt and everything else in your engine!

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-21-2020 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Year Badge

Quick Reply: Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Intakes