Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

eBay short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default eBay short shifter

Hey guys,

I own a 2006 Xa and I want to buy a short shifter kit. Unfortunately I don't have $100+ to spend so I'm looking into the eBay short shifter kits available. However, I also don't want to spend $70 on something that won't work or might mess up my shifting assembly so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these kits and if they're any good?

Any help's greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Old 11-20-2008, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure about the ebay ones but I have heard good things about the Randode Pro Shifter.

http://randode.com/store/product3.html
Old 11-21-2008, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The randode short shifter is pretty good and WILL work.

Now, i had an eBay short shifter and it was crap!! It works, but only shortens the bottom gears (2,4,R), the throw length on the top gear (1,3,5) stayed the same, so that was kind of annoying. Not only that the short is shifter is very ambiguous, meaning, there is ALOT of play in the shaft, which is probably the main reason i got rid of mine. I know shelling out $100 on a shifter is hard money, but i can guarantee you that for the first months you will love your shifter but eventually you WILL get rid of it. I still of the crappy eBay shifter with me, but i think i killed it... I was so frustrated and aggravated with it that i used it to vent some of my anger. I think its in pieces right now somewhere on my garage floor.

I dont recommend it for the long haul but for the first few months it will work magically.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump, anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I'm looking at the Ralco RZ short shifter right now and I was wondering if that one is any good?

Also what do you mean by it only shortens the bottom gears? I thought short throw shifters just shortened the "throw" of the shifter and not the gears themselves? Do you mean that it only shortens the distance from 1st to 2nd and not 2nd to 3rd? I'm confused...
Old 02-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Banned
SL Member

How is RALCO as a brand?

They make pulley's too, right?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I've never heard of Ralco.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Never heard of Ralco, but I would not buy an eBay one, that is for sure.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="JSosa"... had an eBay short shifter... for the first months you will love your shifter but eventually you WILL get rid of it.... I was so frustrated and aggravated with it that i used it to vent some of my anger.. I dont recommend it for the long haul but for the first few months it will work magically.[/quote]
I bought a TRD short shifter, installed it, used it for a day, then removed it and sold it on eBay. It felt bad, the tiny **** hurt my hand, and while speeding upt he shifting it also increased the shifting effort. Worse, the faster shifting was hard on the syncrhos. I retreated to the smooth shifting and the big **** of the stock shifter, and love it.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JSosa
... had an eBay short shifter... for the first months you will love your shifter but eventually you WILL get rid of it.... I was so frustrated and aggravated with it that i used it to vent some of my anger.. I dont recommend it for the long haul but for the first few months it will work magically.
I bought a TRD short shifter, installed it, used it for a day, then removed it and sold it on eBay. It felt bad, the tiny **** hurt my hand, and while speeding upt he shifting it also increased the shifting effort. Worse, the faster shifting was hard on the syncrhos. I retreated to the smooth shifting and the big **** of the stock shifter, and love it.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Deleted duplicate
Old 02-24-2009, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

I had the Ralco RZ shifter - and ended up getting the TRD. The TRD comes complete with entire assembly. With the Ralco, you have to disassemble your stock assembly which isn't as easy as it looks and it breaks easily. Also, the Ralco needed bushings to really work well which made using the stock housing / cover not usable which is why I ended up tossing it. That said - the Ralco is adjustable by using a set screw to change the height of the shifter which allows you to adjust the throw height. With the the right bushings, you can have some very short throws which is awesome, but again, you won't be able to use the stock plastic cover that goes over everything unless you mod it which I didn't do. Whew - I rambled.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 PM
SL Member

The TRD shifter is worth the money and easy to install.