Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Filling NOS Bottle with Co2... ...Any Experience???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Filling NOS Bottle with Co2... ...Any Experience???

I recently acquired a ZEX nitrous system which I'll be installing in my xB. I go to a lot of indoor car shows and I know its illegal to have the bottle filled with No2 when entering. I've heard people filling the bottles with Co2 so they can still purge and "show-off" but be legal to enter the show. Anybody have experience with this and if so what kind of place did you get the bottle filled at? I was thinking maybe a place that fills paintball bottles or something similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old 03-18-2007, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

paintball shop, they can also fill it with nitrogen or hpa (high pressure air) depending on where you go

should cost you like 10 bucks.

now i dont kow a lot abut this but cheaper guns run on c02 the pros use hpa or nitrogen which almost ever shop has an extensive filtration system for since its being run through 1000$ regulators on some of the pros guns. If you can get the same effect with nitrogen or hpa (i dont think you will be able to see it tho when you purge) id use that cuz its super clean.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah I wanted Co2 cause you can definately see it when its purged. In fact the warmer the air is outside the more the Co2 condenses and is visible. I will definately be calling some paintball shops tomorrow....
Old 03-19-2007, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

excessive amounts of CO2 is toxic - be careful
Old 03-19-2007, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Excessive amounts of No2 arent great for anybody either. I think the same precautions apply. I also dont plan on installing the purge line inside the car.... Thanks for the warning though.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just a thought but don't fire extinguishers use CO2 ? Some fire extinguisher companies could recharge for small fee.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

interesting idea....
Old 03-19-2007, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah that would be my guess too but I am not sure what pressure the CO2 tank would charge at - tank may not handle the pressure. Also a lot of fire extinguishers are dry chemical now instead of CO2 due to the choking hazzard when used in confined spaces. It only takes a small percentage in the air to sufficate. But a recharging shop would be the place to go or a torch gas supply place since CO2 is also used in welding and they handle all sorts of pressurized gases.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElChupacabra
Excessive amounts of No2 arent great for anybody either. I think the same precautions apply. I also dont plan on installing the purge line inside the car.... Thanks for the warning though.
HA HA , Nitrous is used by dentists, it more commonly called 'Laughing Gas". Any type of chemical , used in excess isn't good for your body.

CO2 is found all around , it is a common carrier gas for anything in a spray can.

Either could be used, just make sure the system isn't armed while driving ( if CO2 is used), if it was to go off you would come to a quick stop.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I wont be installing a WOT switch so the system will never be armed. Its simply for points at shows and to purge for kicks. I know No2 is laughing gas. Just because its used in the medical field doesnt mean it cant still be harmful....
Old 03-19-2007, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

there is a big diff between medical N2O and the stuff we inject into our cars.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

At concentrations greater than 17 percent, such as those encountered during carbon dioxide fire suppressant use, loss of controlled and purposeful activity, unconsciousness, convulsions, coma, and death occur within 1 minute of initial inhalation of carbon dioxide (OSHA 1989, CCOHS 1990, Dalgaard et al. 1972, CATAMA 1953, Lambertsen 1971). At exposures between 10 and 15 percent, carbon dioxide has been shown to cause unconsciousness, drowsiness, severe muscle twitching, and dizziness within several minutes.

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/fire/co2/co2report.html
Old 03-19-2007, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dugzillaxb

x2
Old 03-20-2007, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by redwar1441

x2

????? what difference ??????

n2o=n2o
Old 03-20-2007, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

hmmmm, maybe the sulfer they add to it. saying n20=n20 is like saying Strup exhaust= ebay exhaust, or wal mart soap= tide detergent.

But hey if you want to take a hit off my nirtous bottle come by and I will have 911 on speed dial.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

So nobody has tried what I wanna do? I installed most of the kit tonight. Just have to mount the bottle and wire the electronics. I mounted the control box and purge cylinoid in an interesting and stealth location.....
Old 03-20-2007, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is just me. i used to play paintbal... semi professionally.. i would never dare putting co2 into a n2o bottle. thats just me. i guess these bottles are different.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

yeah co2 bottles go off weight not pressure, and hpa goes off pressure, 3k to 4500 psi, much higher then the n2o bottle. i dont think the co2 would hurt the bottle, but not sure, and btw the colder it is, the more you c the co2 in a purge not the warmer, try playin paintball in the cold or rain wit co2, the gas seems to go just as far as the ball lmao.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmmm, maybe the sulfer they add to it. saying n20=n20 is like saying Strup exhaust= ebay exhaust, or wal mart soap= tide detergent.

But hey if you want to take a hit off my nirtous bottle come by and I will have 911 on speed dial.
Sorry to redirect your post with schooling this yay-hoo.

Nitrous oxide, also known as dinitrogen oxide or dinitrogen monoxide, is a chemical compound with chemical formula N2O. Under room conditions, it is a colorless non-flammable gas, with a pleasant, slightly sweet odor. It is used in surgery and dentistry for its anaesthetic and analgesic effects, where it is commonly known as laughing gas due to the euphoric effects of inhaling it. It is also used as a means to significantly increase power output of internal combustion engines found in automobiles, as the gas is introduced into the intake manifold it acts as an oxidizer which allows more fuel to be burned. Nitrous oxide is present in the atmosphere where it acts as a powerful greenhouse gas.

Internal combustion engine
Main article: Nitrous
In vehicle racing, nitrous oxide (often referred to as just "nitrous" in this context to differ from the acronym NOS which is the brand Nitrous Oxide Systems) is sometimes injected into the intake manifold (or prior to the intake manifold; some systems directly inject right before the cylinder) to increase power. The gas itself is not flammable, but it delivers more oxygen than atmospheric air by breaking down at elevated temperatures, allowing the engine to burn more fuel and air, resulting in more powerful combustion. Nitrous oxide is stored as a compressed liquid, the evaporation and expansion of liquid nitrous oxide in the intake manifold causes a large drop in intake charge temperature, resulting in a denser charge, further allowing more air/fuel mixture to enter the cylinder. The lower temperature can also reduce detonation.

The same technique was used during World War II by Luftwaffe aircraft with the GM 1 system to boost the power output of aircraft engines. Originally meant to provide the Luftwaffe standard aircraft with superior high-altitude performance, technological considerations limited its use to extremely high altitudes. Accordingly, it was only used by specialized planes like high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft, high-speed bombers and high-altitude interceptors.

One of the major problems of using nitrous oxide in a reciprocating engine is that it can produce enough power to damage or destroy the engine. Power increases of 25–300% are possible, and if the mechanical structure of the engine is not properly reinforced, the engine may be severely damaged or destroyed during this kind of operation.

It is very important with nitrous oxide augmentation of internal combustion engines to maintain proper operating temperatures and fuel levels to prevent preignition, or detonation (sometimes referred to as knocking or pinging).

nitrous oxide or nitrogen (I) oxide, chemical compound, N2O, a colorless gas with a sweetish taste and odor. Its density is 1.977 grams per liter at STP. It is soluble in water, alcohol, ether, and other solvents. Although it does not burn, it supports combustion since it decomposes into oxygen and nitrogen when heated. The gas is prepared commercially by the thermal decomposition of ammonium nitrate, NH4NO3, at about 240°C to produce nitrous oxide and water; the reaction must be carefully controlled to prevent explosive decomposition of the nitrous oxide. The gas is purified, liquified by compressing and cooling it, and stored in metal cylinders. A major use of nitrous oxide is in anesthesia, e.g., in dentistry. It is commonly called laughing gas since it produces euphoria and mirth when inhaled in small amounts. It is also used in making certain canned pressurized foods, e.g., instant whipped cream. Nitrous oxide was discovered (1772) by Joseph Priestley, who called it “diminished nitrous air”; he prepared it from “nitrous air” (nitric oxide, NO) by treatment with iron powder or a mixture of iron and sulfur powders. Its properties were further studied (1799) by Sir Humphry Davy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

n2o is n2o, no matter what its used for....yes they add sulfer, but to all of it ... do a google search before you attempt to politley talk $hit to me. Scince apparently you are clueless to this subject.

P.S. I have hit a nitrous bottle....same $hit as a wippit

in other words its like saying

dugzillaxb= n'mind, ... u fill in the blank
Old 03-20-2007, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I know what n2o is you tool, I'm saying it's not the same as medical grade.

If you want I can also copy and past info off the internet

WHAT IS NITROUS OXIDE?
NITROUS OXIDE…
…Is a cryogenic gas composed of nitrogen and oxygen molecules
…Is 36% oxygen by weight
…Is non-flammable by itself
…Is stored as a compressed liquid
…Exists in two grades—U.S.P. and Nitrous Plus:
U.S.P. is medical grade nitrous oxide; its common use is dental and veterinary anesthesia. It is also
commonly used as a propellant in canned whipped cream. U.S.P. is not available to the public.
Nitrous Plus differs from U.S.P. in that it contains trace amounts of sulphur dioxide added to prevent
substance abuse. Nitrous Plus is intended for automotive applications and is available for sale to the public.
In automotive applications, Nitrous Plus and fuel are injected into the engine’s intake manifold, which
produces the following results:
Lowers engine intake air temperature, producing a dense inlet charge.

so before you go calling someone a ya-hoo check your facts!

like I said they add sulfer.

maybe you should lay off the wippit.

Quick Reply: Filling NOS Bottle with Co2... ...Any Experience???