Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

gas mileage after intake installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member

Default gas mileage after intake installation

I find that I get about 306+ on a tank of gas, which is awesome for me...and the power, oh the power, I cannot complain at all. Going on 101 from the off ramp, just take the O/D off and my baby kicks right on in by the time I get on 101 doing about 60mph, switch the O/D on and she kicks to 70, so there is no holding this baby back
Old 08-20-2003, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

oh yeah. once you feel the power of the xB automatic, you'll be hooked on speed. it's like an addiction.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member

:twisted: RUNNING 87 GAVE ME 327 ON A FILL UP. RUNNING AEM V2 INTAKE WITH RACTIVE FILTER WITH SHIELD. THE AUTO IS DANK, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE O/D, THE XB CAN TAKE OUT MOST 4 BANGERS OFF THE START BUT AFTER 110-112, IT'S PERTY MUCH A GAME OF CATCH UP FOR MY XBOX. ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A IGNITION KIT AVAILABLE, LIKE THICKER WIRES, MSD, ETC, ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member

Default 30-31mpg before intake/exhaust/lowering, 32 after

hey all,
Here's my 2 cents. I agree of course with Eric - I am considering wearing a G-Suit while driving my Scion b/c the acceleration is so intense my gums are flapping, my insides turn to jelly, all that good stuff. ;-)
Seriously, though, after the intake (colder denser air) exhaust (freer flowing=more power) and the lowering (lower Cd I would imagine) the car gets better mileage, feels faster, especially on the freeway, and I'm definitely not just satisfied but happy with the performance, especially with all else about the car consiered.
I'm driving back from Santa Barbara to Berkeley tomorrow - maybe I'll try to drive that 32 up even higher. I can't say what just the exhaust would do, but I expect that, especially given that the Scion revs high on the freeway, that the exhaust will help. With just exhaust installed I didn't check mileage but noted low power down low but more up high.

jb
Old 09-05-2003, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member

You might want to try turning off the traction control, and use atleast 89 oct, with intake and exhaust upgrade. You may get better low end response. Some ngk iridiums will help. (same size as the echo)
I found that msd does has a ignition kit with adj. rev limiter, has the hookups for a tach. and advance the timing.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:50 AM
autosound

there must be something seriously wrong with my xb auto i only get about 210 to the tank before the light comes on so add another 50-60 miles after that and i cant even break 300

Old 09-05-2003, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member

I now have about 3300 miles and it seems like the more it gets broken in, the better it runs....it seems faster and just an all out dream to drive. I can't say enough of how I LOVE MY SCION...and I am VERY VERY happy with it.

Question thoug? I was thinking about lowering about 2 inch, but I do have a daily load of 4 people, with 17 inch rims, will that make my ride smoother, or will I bottom out. With out the load, I was told that if I lowered my xb, that it would make my ride smoother, right now, the ride is a little bumpy,(but I don't mind), but is that true?

still getting great gas mileage...I love it when I go to put gas, I'll pull up right next to a burb and pump my gas....filled just under 20 dollar, and I look over, going on 40, I just smile at them and say, "still going, can you believe the price of gas now days!"
hahaha...lol
Old 09-05-2003, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by autosound
there must be something seriously wrong with my xb auto i only get about 210 to the tank before the light comes on so add another 50-60 miles after that and i cant even break 300
I would be *seriously* concerned about that. On one of my last fillups I got close to 340 miles before even the low gas light came on....take it in immediately...unless of course you are racing to each stop light, revving everyone at the lights, rev to redlight before each gear change and have the a/c on full blast.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i have close to 9000 miles now, and my car definitely feels like it's getting faster. i don't know if it's just me, but i don't care. i'm enjoying it. screw anyone who thinks i drive a slow car. it's still faster than 88.4% of the cars out there, and that's good enough for me.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by autosound
Don't forget that you are also running 19's versus 15's. Taller tire throws off the mileage by -X%. George did a calculation on this. Also, your driving habits will also affect your mileage. I tend to drive my car on the higher RPM band and I'm getting between 25 to 30 MPG. The more you put the pedal to the metal the lower the gas mileage you're going to get from our Scion or from any cars.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:53 PM
autosound

this tank of gas im staying around 65 with light ac and see where it is

Old 09-05-2003, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

that sounds about right with 19s and auto trans. also, make sure overdrive is on if you're on the freeway a lot. that will help. i don't think i ever got 300 miles before i had to fill up when i had 19s, but now with the 16s i get like 330 or more sometimes. so don't stress. the guage is just off.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: 30-31mpg before intake/exhaust/lowering, 32 after

Originally Posted by pscionicpowers
hey all,
Here's my 2 cents. I agree of course with Eric - I am considering wearing a G-Suit while driving my Scion b/c the acceleration is so intense my gums are flapping, my insides turn to jelly, all that good stuff. ;-)
Seriously, though, after the intake (colder denser air) exhaust (freer flowing=more power) and the lowering (lower Cd I would imagine) the car gets better mileage, feels faster, especially on the freeway, and I'm definitely not just satisfied but happy with the performance, especially with all else about the car consiered.
I'm driving back from Santa Barbara to Berkeley tomorrow - maybe I'll try to drive that 32 up even higher. I can't say what just the exhaust would do, but I expect that, especially given that the Scion revs high on the freeway, that the exhaust will help. With just exhaust installed I didn't check mileage but noted low power down low but more up high.

jb

hahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahha!

i want that kind of performance in mine.....

gotta get that Nitrous!

heh he
Old 09-07-2003, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member

Default yanges 'n' me draggin' down Telegraph, MLK, whatevah

Yanges,
man it's gonna be you and me one of these days at a stoplight - Telegraph, MLK, Adeline. Kind of like Fast and the Furious but much much slower. ;-) I don't have NOS but maybe I'll cut a hole in my floor Flintstones-style to get a little xtra kick . . .
maybe if we get a good head of steam we can actually break the speed limit . . . lol . . .

jb
Old 09-07-2003, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hey jb

i was just teasing about the NOS.....

that is funny about Fast and the Furious....

can you imagine a movie with everyone in tricked out xB's and xA's and doing there thing!

can someone Please get me Rob Cohen's email address!! i know he would love that idea! lol

if you have or saw the F&F DVD, Rob Cohen does a director's narrative while you watch the movie and he was really into the whole racing thing....

on the Springs you have, how is the ride with something like that?

i like the way it rides now and don't want to mess that up.....

i see some people saying that it is very similar to the stock ride in comfort level?

what do you think?

thanks
Old 09-08-2003, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i think if you guys tried nitrous you wouldn't joke about it so much. it's pretty amazing for how cheap it is.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member

Default n00b to NOS; Eric, what's the potential for damage?

Eric,
I really want a 150,000 mile car out of this but an occasional boost could be cool. Is there any real good study out there about the long-term effects of NOS? I mean, I really see myself getting a hybrid when I'm done with this car but plan to keep it a long time and I wouldn't want the temptation of NOS there 'cause I'd use it.
Do you have anything anecdotal or any study you can point to??

Joe
Old 09-08-2003, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

all i can say is that if you want to live life on the edge, you have to be prepared for what can happen. currently, a used 1NZ-FE engine costs around $300-400. if i have to buy a new engine, i will. but toyota engines have a good reputation and as soon as i learn how much nitrous i can run on a 1.5l engine with returnless fuel system. i'm sure 30-40hp shot will not destroy it, but hey, someone has to do the research. i'm going to talk to NOS today and see what they recommend for similar size engines, so i don't do something stupid. so i will get back to you guys with whatever happens.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: n00b to NOS; Eric, what's the potential for damage?

Originally Posted by pscionicpowers
Eric,
I really want a 150,000 mile car out of this but an occasional boost could be cool. Is there any real good study out there about the long-term effects of NOS? I mean, I really see myself getting a hybrid when I'm done with this car but plan to keep it a long time and I wouldn't want the temptation of NOS there 'cause I'd use it.
Do you have anything anecdotal or any study you can point to??

Joe
hey jb

i like the idea of Hybrid xB!!

i would really like it to be all Electric, with a 300 mile range and self-regenerating batteries....

can you Imagine a completely silent xB? you could hear everyone gasp as you rolled by......

see my poll:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...?p=11560#11560
Old 09-11-2003, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member

Default hmm, that is cheap for the engine

300-400 is not bad, not bad at all. I wonder if by the time someone blows up their 1nz engine we'll have a good how-to on a Celica engine install? Should bolt on to our tranny just fine since it came out of the Celica, and there's room in the engine compartment . . .
but, I want good mileage too, and shouldn't be any reason NOS would affect the mileage until you really need it . . .

Quick Reply: gas mileage after intake installation