Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

hard to start after gas purchases

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default hard to start after gas purchases

Hello, I'm new here.

The last 3 times I filled up, I had trouble starting the car. I had to hold the ignition key down longer than usual and actually use the gas pedal and I pumped it a few times. Otherwise, I won't get the RPMs I need and it will stall. In fact, I must not let off the gas until after the car is moving. I had to try a few times to get and keep the car going. Once moving, everything is ok and it idles at @625 RPMs as it always has. The car starts just fine all other times.

Here are my details:
2006 xB w/106,000 miles
always use 87%
never step on gas while starting
usually takes only a few seconds to start
usually wait until the low fuel light is on to fill up
check engine/VSC/trac off lights on all the time, but haven't done anything about it-expect to get error code soon

Any helpful thoughts out there?
Or are there already other threads on this?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like it could be starving for fuel...have you ever changed the fuel filter? its not always good practice to run that low on fuel i usually fill up when im at a quarter bc the lower the tank gets your more likely to suck up some sediment thats in your tank

you can build up sediment very easily it can happen over time as you have 106k miles, and it also depends where you fill up... typically old gas stations have old tanks underground that are rusting and it is very possible to pump that rust straight into your tank i have done it before on a previous car and it took 4 fuel filter changes to get it all out.

im not gonna say this is the problem bc its weird that it only happens after fillup...go down the road and stick the gas pedal to the floor if it hic-cups or hesitates/bogs down thats probably your issue...and if you have never changed the fuel filter i would just do it reguardless they are ~30 bucks and easy to replace
Old 07-23-2013, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member

Some poor grade gasoline could damage your motor. Some stations tends to dilute water into their gasoline. How do I know? I see water leaking out the tail pipe and an extreme decrease in power output.

I usually only fill up with Chevron and if it's not around, I'd turn to a Shell station.