Go Back   Scionlife.com » Scion xB Classic » Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge » Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Baine 114/M

Default HELP - Strange Power Loss

I have a 2005 xB with a manual transmission. I have been experiencing a strange
power loss that feels like the car is going into limp mode. It happens every time
I take a certain freeway cloverleaf ramp. It’s an up hill right turn at about 40 mph.
The car just looses all power and will barely hold 10 mph and wont go over
3000 rpm. After an hour it will sometimes run normal. I have replaced the fuel pump
and strainer. Checked the fuel tank for foreign matter/debris. I have replaced the MAF
sensor. If I park the car down hill and turned off, it has gone back to normal within
a few minutes on two occasions but not always (coincidence?). There are NO codes
or warning lights of any kind. I have about 110,000 miles on the car and it has always
run strong. My mechanic and I are out of ideas. I have driven it over a hundred miles
testing in every cornering condition I can find after the MAF replacement without
problems and then this morning it died again.

ANY IDEAS?

(and I don’t need the comment of “just don't take that off ramp”, it’s how I get to work)
xB RS 2.0 #39 A.K.A. "DUCKY"
xB2 RS 5.0 #110 "24k BOX"
Baine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
SL Member

ajcadoo 21/M

ajcadoo ajcadoo ajcadoo ajcadoo
Send a message via AIM to ajcadoo Send a message via Skype™ to ajcadoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baine View Post
I have a 2005 xB with a manual transmission. I have been experiencing a strange
power loss that feels like the car is going into limp mode. It happens every time
I take a certain freeway cloverleaf ramp. Itís an up hill right turn at about 40 mph.
The car just looses all power and will barely hold 10 mph and wont go over
3000 rpm. After an hour it will sometimes run normal. I have replaced the fuel pump
and strainer. Checked the fuel tank for foreign matter/debris. I have replaced the MAF
sensor. If I park the car down hill and turned off, it has gone back to normal within
a few minutes on two occasions but not always (coincidence?). There are NO codes
or warning lights of any kind. I have about 110,000 miles on the car and it has always
run strong. My mechanic and I are out of ideas. I have driven it over a hundred miles
testing in every cornering condition I can find after the MAF replacement without
problems and then this morning it died again.

ANY IDEAS?

(and I donít need the comment of ďjust don't take that off rampĒ, itís how I get to work)

Yeah, dont take the offramp. Duh...
FlowLighting Blaze 7 Underglow | 12" Kenwood Sub w/ 1800W Class D Amp | Neo iPhone Adapter | LED Dome
JDM Window Visors | Rostra Cruise Control | Aftermarket Front Bumper Grilles | eTrailer.com Custom Tow Hitch Kit
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #3
SL Member

ajcadoo 21/M

ajcadoo ajcadoo ajcadoo ajcadoo
Send a message via AIM to ajcadoo Send a message via Skype™ to ajcadoo

hahahaha just kidding. It is weird that your are going into limp mode with no CEL lights of any sort. Maybe check for codes anyway? Or also check your intake and make sure it isnt blocked by anything. MAF was the problem when I last went into limp mode. 3000RPM limit is a pain. I had to buy a brand new one.
FlowLighting Blaze 7 Underglow | 12" Kenwood Sub w/ 1800W Class D Amp | Neo iPhone Adapter | LED Dome
JDM Window Visors | Rostra Cruise Control | Aftermarket Front Bumper Grilles | eTrailer.com Custom Tow Hitch Kit
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keith 56/M

any other Idea, my 06Xa has the same prob... going on the ramp, all power lossed, its like beening in "N", I step on the gas and the eng just revs up... pull over to the side, trun off the car for few min, start it back up, all isfine... so far.

need Help..
Keith.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
SL Member
05sciko 27

the xa sounds like it may be low on trans fluid. if the engine is racing and the tranny is in gear then something is slipping
05sciko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keith 56/M

Thanks... I'll Look into the MAF and trans.. hopefuly it's one of them.

Keith..
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
SL Member
TheUglyOne 101/M

I had an issue like this on my mustang once and it was my Throttle position sensor. I don't know if our scions have one of these but mine just needed to be cleaned and this problem stopped. Maybe you can check on this?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:58 AM
Scionlife.com
Scion TC

Paid Advertisement

Tags
05, cel, change, drivetrain, gen, header, limp, loss, mode, noise, power, scion, start, strange, uphill, xb