Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

How fast can a Stock Auto-xB Go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Originally Posted by killerxromances
Who cares about straight line. Right mods and you will corner a hell of a lot better than a vette and better than a lot of sports cars. Especially RWD ones. Thats the only problem with RWD and lots of power, when you talk road courses they can't push it as hard as a FWD or AWD car because they will start to fishtail and fall into a skid or loss of controll. Especially when you factor in LSD and weight.

Cya
That's only true to an unexperienced driver. F1 cars are RWD for a reason. The most common error is lift throttle oversteer which is a driver error. If you learn to properly drive a RWD car, you won't lose control or fishtail.

The Nurburgring is by far the least straight-line oriented track/road course on the planet, and the current Z06 C6 has the top time. Furthermore, the C5R has a very long record of wins against the likes of Porsche and BMW (supposed handling KINGS). Throw in the recent victories of the C6R. . . in the hands of capable driver, the Corvette will beat an xB, straight line or not.

I don't know why so many people take it so personal that an xB cannot beat a Corvette. I love xB's. . . and they can be made pretty damned fast. I'm not trying to bring down the xB in any way whatsoever. . . but there is fact and there is fiction. And fiction is an xB outperforming a Corvette. If you've ever driven one, you'd know that.

And no, I don't own one, nor do I think they are the greatest car in the planet. I'm just trying to be reasonable. And that's that. . . I'll stop arguing now.
^^ ^^
p2filz Ya happy now
Old 12-28-2005, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what the hell was that up above me 10 lines wasted! anyway corvettes suck any way why are we talking about vettes as if their gods to rekon anyway vettes are horrible cars along wih all other american bastard children the dealers sell them away to strangers and never care for the owners or what they do because the car will shortly live anyway... now good day i say... new addition YES to the above question
Old 12-28-2005, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now my eyes hurt from trying to read that.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by p2filz
what the hell was that up above me 10 lines wasted! anyway corvettes suck any way why are we talking about vettes as if their gods to rekon anyway vettes are horrible cars along wih all other american bastard children the dealers sell them away to strangers and never care for the owners or what they do because the car will shortly live anyway... now good day i say
Punctuation is a good thing
Old 12-28-2005, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who cares about straight line. Right mods and you will corner a hell of a lot better than a vette and better than a lot of sports cars. Especially RWD ones. Thats the only problem with RWD and lots of power, when you talk road courses they can't push it as hard as a FWD or AWD car because they will start to fishtail and fall into a skid or loss of controll. Especially when you factor in LSD and weight.

Cya
That's only true to an unexperienced driver. F1 cars are RWD for a reason. The most common error is lift throttle oversteer which is a driver error. If you learn to properly drive a RWD car, you won't lose control or fishtail.

The Nurburgring is by far the least straight-line oriented track/road course on the planet, and the current Z06 C6 has the top time. Furthermore, the C5R has a very long record of wins against the likes of Porsche and BMW (supposed handling KINGS). Throw in the recent victories of the C6R. . . in the hands of capable driver, the Corvette will beat an xB, straight line or not.

I don't know why so many people take it so personal that an xB cannot beat a Corvette. I love xB's. . . and they can be made pretty damned fast. I'm not trying to bring down the xB in any way whatsoever. . . but there is fact and there is fiction. And fiction is an xB outperforming a Corvette. If you've ever driven one, you'd know that.

And no, I don't own one, nor do I think they are the greatest car in the planet. I'm just trying to be reasonable. And that's that. . . I'll stop arguing now.
Unexperienced or not, yeah they are able to produce extremely well times thats a given, i've been to a few corvette events when i was in Ga and it was autox. However, experience doesn't stop the fact you are slugging lots of weight, lots of power on the rear wheels. You can't push it as hard regardless of what you say. That doesn't mean they can't win, however because they can go into controlled mini-slides and things along the lines of that. I'm sure if you've done it for 30 years you would know all the secrets.

But at that Corvette autox i went to, there were a few there that have been doing it for years, one or two professionals (instructors) and even they wen't into a slide at some point or another. But still produced some of the fastest times.

Cya
Old 12-28-2005, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, F1 cars don't weight near as much as vettes. They are also designed specifically for racing, vettes aren't.

Cya
Old 12-28-2005, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
"kept up with" seems believable to me, I guess it depends on what else you are reading into it:

i kept up with a C class benz, a hemi C, and an S40 on the freeway...

i kept up with a C class benz, a hemi C, and an S40 on the Auto-X track

i kept up with a C class benz, a hemi C, and an S40 in the 1/4 mile

i kept up with a C class benz, a hemi C, and an S40 at Laguna Seca

i kept up with a C class benz, a hemi C, and an S40 at Daytona

i kept up with a C class benz, a hemi C, and an S40 in reverse...

it was the first one

Nate aka Nate2085 was with me and suprised that the box did what it did, but i think that there was a significant amount of areo influinces from FOLLOWING the cars, because i never had that much control at 100 before or since
Old 12-28-2005, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pish-posh to all this, my new Bugatti Veyron hits 253mph! But my box will roll a nice 99mph. Anyway, just kiddin about the Bugatti but that would be cool.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cya

Unexperienced or not, yeah they are able to produce extremely well times thats a given, i've been to a few corvette events when i was in Ga and it was autox. However, experience doesn't stop the fact you are slugging lots of weight, lots of power on the rear wheels. You can't push it as hard regardless of what you say. That doesn't mean they can't win, however because they can go into controlled mini-slides and things along the lines of that. I'm sure if you've done it for 30 years you would know all the secrets.

But at that Corvette autox i went to, there were a few there that have been doing it for years, one or two professionals (instructors) and even they wen't into a slide at some point or another. But still produced some of the fastest times.

Cya
You can sit back and badmouth high horsepower (torque) rear wheel drive cars all you want. If that is what will make you feel better. But the fact remains there are very few properly driven, properly suspended powerful rear wheel drive cars (or trucks) that an xB could come close to holding a candle to. Yup, even on a road course. They might stand a chance at an Auto-X course, but it would have to be a pretty short, tight course.

The first 5 vehicles I ever owned were rear wheel drive. And I will tell you from personal experience that I had much better control of those cars than I ever had with a front wheel drive car. Yup, even with all of that over steer producing torque.

If was going to a road course and had to choose between my '99 Dodge Dakota R/T when it was on a 6/8 drop on 18s or my wife's xB on 18s, I would take the Dakota every time. I would even take it over my '98 Prelude SH. Though long and light in the back end, that truck handled like it was on rails. And you want to talk about power? With 345 lb/ft of torque on tap, you could melt the tire pretty much any time you wanted.

If you have never driven, really driven, a rear wheel drive car (or truck) with significant power, you have no idea what you are missing. There is no other driving sensation like it.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s

Cya

Cya
You can sit back and badmouth high horsepower (torque) rear wheel drive cars all you want. If that is what will make you feel better. But the fact remains there are very few properly driven, properly suspended powerful rear wheel drive cars (or trucks) that an xB could come close to holding a candle to. Yup, even on a road course. They might stand a chance at an Auto-X course, but it would have to be a pretty short, tight course.

The first 5 vehicles I ever owned were rear wheel drive. And I will tell you from personal experience that I had much better control of those cars than I ever had with a front wheel drive car. Yup, even with all of that over steer producing torque.

If was going to a road course and had to choose between my '99 Dodge Dakota R/T when it was on a 6/8 drop on 18s or my wife's xB on 18s, I would take the Dakota every time. I would even take it over my '98 Prelude SH. Though long and light in the back end, that truck handled like it was on rails. And you want to talk about power? With 345 lb/ft of torque on tap, you could melt the tire pretty much any time you wanted.

If you have never driven, really driven, a rear wheel drive car (or truck) with significant power, you have no idea what you are missing. There is no other driving sensation like it.
Who says im "bad mouthing". And i can post a link here that shows an xb very much keeping up in some cases taking corners better than vettes and porches on a road course. All professional drivers. I'm not saying the xb is anything near a sports car, obviously its not. But lightweight plays a huge advantage if properly tuned, there for it can handle extremely well. I myself have beat quite a few more powerful cars on autox, but i haven't beat too many rwd cars.

And i have driven a rwd car on the track once if you count a friend letting me drive his 320whp rx-7.

Cya
Old 12-28-2005, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i love rwd. but an xb can still out handle and out beat alot of other cars. believe it or not.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who says im "bad mouthing". And i can post a link here that shows an xb very much keeping up in some cases taking corners better than vettes and porches on a road course. All professional drivers. I'm not saying the xb is anything near a sports car, obviously its not. But lightweight plays a huge advantage if properly tuned, there for it can handle extremely well. I myself have beat quite a few more powerful cars on autox, but i haven't beat too many rwd cars.

And i have driven a rwd car on the track once if you count a friend letting me drive his 320whp rx-7.

Cya
I can post the same exact link. I bet we have all watched that same exact video. And in that clip the only corner at which the xB was really anywhere close to catching that vette was the corner immediately after the vette passed the xB. After that the xB was never really that close. And I am sure the fact that the vette was even still within frame had a lot to do with who was driving the two cars.

Now don't get me wrong, the xB is a great little car, and absolutely fun to drive. My wife owns an '05 auto, and I plan on trying to dump my '98 Prelude SH so I can get an '06 manual xB. I just think it is delusional for people to think that the anemic little boxes we own would stand any kind of real chance against a properly driven, properly suspended high power rear wheel drive car. Again, the xB is great and handles way better than it looks like it should, but it is no superstar.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cya
I can post the same exact link. I bet we have all watched that same exact video. And in that clip the only corner at which the xB was really anywhere close to catching that vette was the corner immediately after the vette passed the xB. After that the xB was never really that close. And I am sure the fact that the vette was even still within frame had a lot to do with who was driving the two cars.

Now don't get me wrong, the xB is a great little car, and absolutely fun to drive. My wife owns an '05 auto, and I plan on trying to dump my '98 Prelude SH so I can get an '06 manual xB. I just think it is delusional for people to think that the anemic little boxes we own would stand any kind of real chance against a properly driven, properly suspended high power rear wheel drive car. Again, the xB is great and handles way better than it looks like it should, but it is no superstar.
Well what you fail to mention is the fact that the vette passes on a straight away, after that corner theres a straight away. Its a no brainer the xb will not keep up on straight away, has absolutely no chance at all. I was pointing out where if you actually watch the video, the box was able to take the corner sharper, a little firmer on the ground than the vette. If they vette guy pushed it much harder than that around that corner he would have broke loose i'm sure of it.

Cya
Old 12-28-2005, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I just think it is delusional for people to think that the anemic little boxes we own would stand any kind of real chance against a properly driven, properly suspended high power rear wheel drive car.
But if it's NOT properly driven, then things can change. When did this go from someone "keeping up with" cars on a freeway to this professional driver comparison? I must've missed some posts...
Old 12-29-2005, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
I just think it is delusional for people to think that the anemic little boxes we own would stand any kind of real chance against a properly driven, properly suspended high power rear wheel drive car.
But if it's NOT properly driven, then things can change. When did this go from someone "keeping up with" cars on a freeway to this professional driver comparison? I must've missed some posts...
Evolution?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

this thread gave me a headache...........nothing like a gobs of torque and rwd....and I have awd,fwd,rwd..the most fun to drive is rwd and if your skilled they are the fastest on the track usually
Old 12-29-2005, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
this thread gave me a headache...........nothing like a gobs of torque and rwd....and I have awd,fwd,rwd..the most fun to drive is rwd and if your skilled they are the fastest on the track usually
I would say awd is the best for road courses and other tracks along the lines of that. All drivetrain set ups are fun in their own ways, its how you use them to your advantage that makes the difference...imo.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by hotbox05
i love rwd. but an xb can still out handle and out beat alot of other cars. believe it or not.
And you are absolutely correct. . . I find it so odd that so many people are upset by the idea that it is NOT, however, the fastest car on the planet.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Cya
By the way, I have no idea where you get the info that 'Vette's are heavy. The curb weight of a C6 is 3,170lbs. . . that's about as much as a fully loaded xB and less than a tC. Autox has never been the Corvette's strong point, as autox naturally gives an advantage to shorter wheel base cars (since short wheel bases result in fast turn ins). However a short wheel base car is extremely unstable at high speed. . .
. . . this is why you see RWD Miata's and Lotus's tearing up the autox. A 'Vette has an EXTREMELY long wheelbase, in comparison.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

By the way, a Ferrari F430 weighs 3,197lbs, a Ferrari 612 weighs 4,056. . . both of which weigh more than a 'Vette.

And a Ferrari Enzo supercar weighs 3,009. . . which is only about 131lbs less than the 3,132lb C6 ZO6. The argument that the 'Vette is heavy does not hold water. The Enzo is a friggin street legal F1 car.

Quick Reply: How fast can a Stock Auto-xB Go?