Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

installing performance intake/headers/exhaust - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default installing performance intake/headers/exhaust - worth it?

for the ppl that have installed performance intake and headers and exhaust - is it worth it?

for close to a grand, did you think it was well spent? were and are you still happy w/ the power gains?

i would like to do this, but if i'm not going to be satisfied for long time - imho it might not be worth spending the money.

your opinions, pls?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you probably wont notice a power gain from the exhaust, but they do sound great. ut as far as header and intake, they are well worth the money
Old 02-21-2007, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I would start with an intake, it will get you a noticeable performance bump, nothing too crazy, but considering the cost of an intake... it's worthwhile.
I'm planning on adding an exhaust next, it should open up a bit more, but I'm not expecting too much.
I'm still split on a header, mostly because I don't have the exhaust in yet, so I can't tell how much more it would need.

Buying your exhaust new would be the most expensive part of the I/H/E. I picked up my Fujita SRI for just under 150 shipped, headers can be had in the range of 150-300. It's the exhaust that's going to add to that final total.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the most restrictive part of the exhaust would be the muffler...so after replacing the intake start there...not quite sure of the benefits of switching the header since the stock piece seems to a decent design...cant see spending the $$$ on that if your not adding lots of HP....just my oponion.....
Old 02-21-2007, 05:36 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the most noticeable increase would be from a header and a axle back muffler, then a intake and a lightened crank pulley
Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm, i am still confused.
i already have the k&n filter, and paid $50 for it, unless the intake gives me that much more hp.
so which will have more power considering, the exhaust (cat or axle) or the header?

thanks for your help guys
Old 02-21-2007, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i personaly would get a axle back then maybe a header....but im also a cheapazz. a CAI and full exhaust is pretty expen$ive..for what...maybe 8-10hp..MAYBE....im sure someone out there has some dyno results....a K&N filter is good but a full intake is better.

none of these parts make horsepower but allow the engine to work eaiser and more efficiant which creates HP. full synthetic lubricants work well also but are also come with a higher price tag...
Old 02-21-2007, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check this out...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...9fa433cf5a658d
Old 02-21-2007, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have:

1.) Injen CAI
2.) Cheapy eBay header
3.) InVidia axle-back
4.) magnaflow: high flow cat and resonator
5.) 2 1/4" exhaust

Yes i did spend close a to a grand getting all this stuff in, but its DEFINITELY worth it. Yes the gain is about 10-15 WHP, but for an engine of our size thats a pretty noticeable difference. Our cars are very light and that helps when adding power because even the slightest change will be felt. If you have the money i would recommend doing all at once, but if not, do it in the order i did it in. I think its the best way too go, but as long as you plan on installing everything then i dont think you should really worry on what to install first.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try the MMW NA Stage 1 kit..

http://www.monstermotorworks.com/cgi...&ppinc=search2
Old 02-21-2007, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^^^ That kit seems like a good deal for the price. I know MMW makes good quality parts and has excellent customer service, but i don't have any on hand experience with them. If you don't have the $500.00 to give all at once then start with the intake and build up from there.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is what i have installed and reviews of each one.

I started bone stock, no trd perforamnce anything.

1. Custom made Cherry Bomb Axle Back Exhaust. (25$)
Beautiful tone very low and deep, no rasp, noticable increase in topend.

2. K&N Cold Air Intake 69 Series Typhoon Powder Blue (160$)
Love the "throttly" sound, almost v6 muscle car-ish, Great increase in over all range!

3. Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley (140$)
No sudden increase in power, but engine works less hard, less rotational mass, better throttle response definately

4. DC Sports Ceramic Coated 4-1 Header (230$)
Huge increase in top end, subtle decrease in low end, WAY BETTER DESIGN THAN STOCK!!! Stock headers pinch from circles into Triangles at the collector.

Id say i did less than a grand, and got more power

my setup very nice in my opinion of course ;)
Old 02-21-2007, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do it. IHE and crank pulley will make a difference.
I have the dealer AEM CAI, Strup 4-1 Headers, TRD exhaust, and AgencyPower pulley, and the results are very good for what our cars can do. i actually have never driven a completely bone stock xB, but from my experiences with headers and pulley results, it's definitely a good improvement.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i/h/e/pulley all well worth mods. throttle body spacer is good too.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll giove you my opinion based on my personal experience. The wife has an '05 xB automatic that was purchase new, and I just picked up a used, low mileage '04 xB with a manual transmission.

On the wife's car I have installed a Fujita F5 short ram intake, MMW / Weapon R 4-2-1 header and a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. If I had paid retail prices, the total bill would have come to right at $900. As it is I spent right at $450.

I would say that my personal investment was well worth the money. But I don't think I would have spent the $900 for the same performance gains. And in fact, with my '04, I won't. Before I start dropping cash on parts like intake header and exhaust I will save up. I'd much rather save up my money and go forced induction. I can live with a stock car for an extended period of time if it means more gains later. As it is, I could nickel and dime myslef to death on parts without seeing a significant enough performance gain to be satisfied.

So what does all of this mean to you? If you can find a good deal on parts, go for it. I highly recommend each of the parts I listed above as being installed on the wife's car. I just wouldn't pay standard retail pricing. None of those parts offer enough gain to be worth paying retail. Just save your money, and watch for the deals. When you see specials on the parts, jump on it if you are truly intersted.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK I'll give my 2 cents:

I have:

Short ram intake
DC Sports header
Perrin Pulley
2.25" custom header back exhaust.
Exedy Stage 1 racing clutch
Tein Coilovers

Now do I think it was worth it YES. Is my box fast NO, is anyones NA box fast? These performance upgrades do make the car more fun to drive, and that's how I judge things. Look we all would like to do 12 sec 1/4's but lets be realistic. isn't it about having fun driving? Now the real fun starts when you do the suspension, that way at least you don't have to slow down for the corners. This is where the Fun comes in. Do the performance upgrades and put some coilovers on it and get out there and learn how to go fast around corners. This ain't a straight line car, but u can whip some **** in the twisties!!

now go have fun!!
Old 02-23-2007, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ just as he said. get those fundamental power mods done, and really work on the suspension. this box is really awesome through the turns when you really push it.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default my first post on scionlife SWEET!

anyways, what do most scion fans think the best set up is for an xb? everyone has their choice of companies but i'd like to hear what everyone has to say about their set up. how do you like it? cost? worth it? anything...
Old 02-23-2007, 06:40 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got a k&n cai, dc header, trd muffler, diy ground wires, and a pivot razin voltage stablizer, and lightened crank pully, with all of it on there its smooth as glass at idle!!!
Old 03-20-2007, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone with a header seen in difference in their gas mileage????

Quick Reply: installing performance intake/headers/exhaust - worth it?