Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

JDM Parts Manufacturer "JUN"

Old 09-25-2003, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default JDM Parts Manufacturer "JUN"

alright, so I was bored at work today and did a search on the engine "1NZ-FE" and one of the things that came up is a JDM company called JUN. Has anyone heard anything about them? They make a lightweight flywheel for the engine (4.6 KG or about 10.14 lbs according to Google) that would be a great part to look for, since USDM manufacturers may be lagging a bit before they get to something so intricate as a lightweight flywheel. It runs about $312, pricewise anyone know anything about lightweight flywheels? Toda Racing sells a 4.1 kg one for Honda applications and it runs $450 here in the states so it would seem a reasonable good deal, but I don't know jack about JUN...

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, and to take a look (they have an english and japanese site) here are some links:

http://www.junauto.co.jp/products/dr...el/index.html?
http://www.junauto.co.jp/news/index-e.html?000041
Old 09-25-2003, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member

Jun is an auto tuner that produces a bunch of high horsepowered cars. I think they have two types of flywheels, a sport type and a race type. I think they are chromoly built. The company is reputable, but moreso for hard core race parts.
Flywheels make the engine rev faster (which inherently makes the revs drop faster as well), because they are lighter. This makes the throttle feel more responsive, but will also drop more revs as the transmission shifts. Hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

JUN is a very high quality and well respected tuner company over in Japan...and while they don't really have a strong U.S. presence--many of their products are used here, mainly in the Honda camp.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the feedback guys, makes feel not so bad for drooling on their stuff... they seem to have other parts to mess around with.. I wouldn't mind the throttle response changing, I'm used to shifting fast and actually find myself waiting for it to rev down before I shift...

maybe I can have a chance at hauling some of it over here, my cousin is in Okinawa (sp?), and I can get his crippled butt to get some stuff for me (marine, has a metal plate in his leg now and it's supposedly a long story that I haven't been enlightened to)...
Old 09-25-2003, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

JUN is badass. Very respected and reputable company in the US and Japan.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

JUN is a very reputable company. However for our engines, TRD already makes a lightened flywheel and strengthened clutch. I really doubt that any of us would be needing one until turbos and superchargers come out for our cars.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hadn't seen the lightened flywheel for the IST/xA, nor for the 1NZ-FE application, so if you have a link I'd love to know that TRD is looking out for us... need to see what kind of weight they have and at what cost.

As for the clutch again I had seen that as well, http://www.newscionparts.com has it for $328, which I guess has the advantage of a Toyota warranty, but performance wise I need to find out what kind of clamping force or performance numbers of what it can take. I'm not saying I expect to max it out, but if I'm going to buy one I'd like to only have to do it once and a little over engineering never hurt either
Old 09-25-2003, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can count on jun having some great quality products. there is a distributor locally to so. cal., but i don't remember who it was through.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jun is VERY high quality, and although they did have a US presence, it is pretty much all but gone, so you can usually only order their stuff through various vendors. I've got some pics of a Jun flywheel here:
http://sr20.hybrids.jp/van/badroc/vans.html
(the link is somewhere on that page)