Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Loud humming/Whining-not tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 05:09 AM

Default Loud humming/Whining-not tires

Ok.

So I have been reading the forums and searching previous posts and can't seem to find my exact problem.
Let me first say that Im not a mechanic and will be using lamens terms.

I have a Xa 2004 Manual Transmission with about 119k miles.

When driving, shifting into about 3rd gear and on, I am getting a whining or humming sound. If I push the clutch in it goes away, If I let go of the clutch it sounds as if you were to touch a bicycle tire with a stick several times before keeping the stick on the fast tire where it becomes a constant hum... like a stick on a bicycle tire. Like a rubbing sound.
Its driving me crazy.

Another problem that may be related is when driving in lower gears it revs high like you are holding the clutch in and pushing the gas harder. It does even out though and goes away. I think this might be the clutch.

I ALWAYS like to get non sales persons opinions before I drop a chunk of change on something. If its the clutch, I will have to have a mechanic do it and from what I am seeing, that's about 1500$

Thanks for reading this far.

Daniel.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's hard hard to tell without looking at/hearing the noise myself, but from what what you are describing and the mileage on your xA, it sounds like you are due for clutch replacement. Good quick test: take the car to about 30 MPH. (3rd gear speed). Push the clutch in, engage second and dump the clutch out fast. (I know this sounds harsh but bear with me). If the RPMs spike and the car jerks you, your clutch is not slipping....if RPMs do not jump up immediately on you, that disc is slipping. Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your clutch is definitely toast (I have extensive technical background so trust me). That sound you're describing is your throw out bearing which is also replaced with the clutch and comes with a new clutch as a part of the kit.

Kruso
Old 08-11-2014, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kruso
Your clutch is definitely toast (I have extensive technical background so trust me). That sound you're describing is your throw out bearing which is also replaced with the clutch and comes with a new clutch as a part of the kit.

Kruso
I don't see how his sound would be the throw out bearing being that the sound goes away with the clutch pedal depressed.....nonetheless, it needs to be replaced with the clutch
Old 08-11-2014, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FlintMica17
I don't see how his sound would be the throw out bearing being that the sound goes away with the clutch pedal depressed.....nonetheless, it needs to be replaced with the clutch
This is such basic and trivial information that I won't bother breaking this down for you further. Read the last paragraph on the article to grasp the basic understanding on the basics of a car and how they work. That symptom is pretty much THE ONLY symptom for a bad throwout bearing.

HowStuffWorks "Common Problems and Other Types of Clutches"
Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is such basic and trivial information that I won't bother breaking this down for you further. Read the last paragraph on the article to grasp the basic understanding on the basics of a car and how they work. That symptom is pretty much THE ONLY symptom for a bad throwout bearing.

HowStuffWorks "Common Problems and Other Types of Clutches"
Keep reading your internet how-to's
Old 08-11-2014, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep reading your internet how-to's
Quoted for later use

There's always that one (atleast) user on every board, didn't expect this to be any different. I'll leave the "how to's" for you, as for me... I'll continue to correcting little kids with internet access giving out hearsay to other users like gospel for as long as I'm bored
Old 08-11-2014, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quoted for later use

There's always that one (atleast) user on every board, didn't expect this to be any different. I'll leave the "how to's" for you, as for me... I'll continue to correcting little kids with internet access giving out hearsay to other users like gospel for as long as I'm bored
You got it buddy, no need to use my 9 years experience as a high-line brand technician when you have the internet, right?
Old 08-11-2014, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You got it buddy, no need to use my 9 years experience as a high-line brand technician when you have the internet, right?
Oh yeah? and I'm Elvis Presley sitting behind my keyboard This is where you proceed to get into an e-____ing contest and justify the reason why you misdiagnosed a throw-out bearing. This is precisely why I make it a point to quote the wanna-be's on the board

I've built more 600hp Supras then you've probably done oil changes in your "9 years," don't make me laugh and quit while you're not ahead.

Kruso

ps... unlike your "high-line brand" experience, you can reach me on Supraforums where I've been a member since 2002 and validate my credentials though anyone there
Old 08-11-2014, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seriously?! Lol, the floor is yours Captain Kruso
Old 11-01-2014, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this sounds like a bad cv shaft