Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default mufflers

I ant to get a muffler for my xb. which one is better in performance? i'm considering hte jic or the trd. does any have either of these and do you guys like them? any input is apppreciated.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can also look into getting a magnaflow muffler since they make them for trd.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member

Default TRD Muffler

I want to put a better muffler on my xB but I want one with good sound. I'm not a big fan of the rice burner sound so I want something that wont sound like a bug flying around. Does the TRD muffler have a good sound to it?? Thanks.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was thinking of getting a muffler myself. I'm either going to go with a GTII exmag, mega power muffler, or hyper spec. All of which i believe are straight through mufflers. Is it true that getting a straight through muffler will make you lose hp and gas because it will mess with the obd sensor where your "check engine" light goes on. Also, i was recomended to get a chambered muffler since it won't cause that problem. Please help.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:22 PM

I am using the Magnaflow mirrior finish muffler with a ___ tip. Here is the link to the pics. Just copy and paste the link to your browser.
http://scionxb.net/index_files/styli...is_exhaust.htm
It is completly quiet at high RPMs, of course I also had the entire exhaust system done as well.

Old 09-16-2003, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would suggest reading this article, i wish they would publish all 7 parts, but the few they have up are really informative

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...scc_ssbbpart2/

To get the least amount of backpressure, most of the good, high-performance mufflers available today have what is called a straight-through design. These type of mufflers quiet the exhaust by the absorption of high frequency vibrations in a heat-resistant packing usually consisting of stainless steel mesh and heat-resistant ceramic fibers. They typically have a straight inner core with no baffling at all, much like a straight pipe with many small holes. The pipe is louvered or perforated when it passes inside the muffler's shell, allowing sound energy to pass through the holes but leaving the exhaust gas flow unimpeded. You can see straight through these types of mufflers. The louvered or perforated core is usually wrapped with either Fiberglas wadding, hence the old-school term Glass-Pack or on the better mufflers, stainless steel mesh to help further absorb the sound. On straight-through mufflers, the longer the muffler, the quieter it is. The length usually has no effect on the backpressure, just the noise output. These mufflers work in the same manner as the silencers used on guns. If a silencer impeded bullet travel, you would definitely have problems!
Old 09-16-2003, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member

i like that tip w/ logo, looks dope
Old 09-16-2003, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice Stylis. I like the sound files on the bottom of the page. Gives you a real feel of what it sounds like.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Some is healthy

I think silencers do impede bullet travel... I thought we lose some power if we lose too much backpressure ???
Old 09-16-2003, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member

I have the trd muffler on my xB. It sounds great, but the one thing I can't stand is that it's not anywhere near centered where the groove is cut for the exhaust tip in the rear bumper. In fact the tip is like a millimeter or two shy of touching the bumper. That's kinda lame considering it's made by TRD. I figured that they'd have the best fit for their own cars. Oh well. Anyone dealt with this and/or know how I can fix it?
Old 09-16-2003, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member

speaking of lame, i notice that my stock exhaust is crooked. then i noticed that mine is not the only one...weak sauce!
Old 09-16-2003, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

don't forget to check out http://scionsporttuning.com and the SPFR cat-back exhaust they offer
Old 09-16-2003, 05:54 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

don't worry about the ricey sound. Just go to a good muffler shop and choose which ever looks best because the resonator will give you a good, deep sound regardless of which muffler you choose for the scion. Obviously don't choose a cherry bomb muffler. I have the bomz racing muffler and I love it.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

for those who don't have a centered muffler, you can help get it to center if you twist the muffler tubing where it meets the oem tubing with the clamp. try twisting it and retightening the oem tube to center the muffler. that's what i did to center the muffler tip.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:07 AM

I still would stay with the magna flow mufflers, they sound great and have a shine to match. And I have no problems with sound on the freeway either.

Old 09-18-2003, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default exhaust backpressue

exhaust backpressure is a not quite so acurate term. in an exhaust system what is important is the timming of the energy pulse that moves through the entire engine, from the end of the intake to the very end of the exhaust. whew. when that pulse reach's the end of the exhaust it returns in the opposite direction. if it reach's the exhaust valve while the valve is off it's seat it slows , and/or in some cases reverse's the flow all the way back out the intake. that phenomon is known as reversion.
intake length , cam timming , and exhaust length & diameter [ i.e. backpressure] all share a part in an engine's performance at any given time. so you got to work that thing between your ears and do your homework and getz shiznitz that works together. i.e dyno tunning backed up and verified at the track. and certified with an accelorameter.

tha tha thats all folkz

remember , just because you dont see them dosen't :? mean they aren't WATCHING you
Old 09-19-2003, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about a flowmaster muffler? I have a 40series sitting in my garage, I'm thinking about installing that but I'm believe I'll have too much back pressure.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-19-2003, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SammyPsycho: I was under the impression that the reversion wave became indeterminant after the header and going into the first catalytic converter. i.e. the wave going back up the pipe anywhere past the cat wasn't going to do much in the way of scavenging exhaust from the cylinder. Just curious, that was the impression I had gathered from reading not just that article but others as well. I'm all for tuning, but is there a point (along the exhaust, such as headers, or cats or even going out to the muffler) where tuning the exhaust system doesn't provide any noticeable benefits?
Old 09-19-2003, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have a quick question...

I just want to install a muffler...not the whole cat back at this time. Is there any decent and nice looking "bolt-on" muffler for the xB?

Looking for something that has a throaty deep sound ..rather than a high pitch screamer.

Let me know...
Old 09-20-2003, 06:27 PM

I think the only one available and not on back order is the TRD muffler from the dealer, but it is a magna flow muffler. Just to let you know.

Quick Reply: mufflers