Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

need help: vsc, check engine, trac off ON

Old 10-02-2006, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member

ok, sorry to bring this back to life but I am experiencing the same exact problems CheXmiXB was experiencing. The same codes and the same problem with it smelling like gas. I had it diagonosed again, the mechanice said its the PCM what the???? it runs fine. Please someone help
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member

Default gman

Just went thru the trac/vsc/cel prob on my '05 xb auto w/ 77k mi. reset gas cap w/no luck...then diconnected neg. battery cable for 5 min. and reconnected. Problem Gone!!! lots of different approaches about this problem..guess i got lucky!!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'll know for sure in a couple of days. Because if the problem isn't fixed the lights will come back on.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi I have a related issue with my 06 XB . Bone stock runs great but had the vsc,ce and trac off lights come on. got a p1010 code ( maf sensor range/performance). the code does reset but has returned. I took it to the dealer who said it was a missfire code and they could do a dia for $200 , the emissions are still under warranty but I dont think the maf is covered. I am under the impression that if a MAf is bad the codes dont reset. Im also leary of the dealer because they didnt tell me the correct code info. Also wanted to point out that Toyota has a campaign for the missfire issue for several XB 's but not with my emission package. Any advice with this issue would be great as my wallet jumps out of my pocket when I get near the dealership.
thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Clean it? Its the most sensitive component in the efi system, also check your air filter.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who told you P1010 was the MAF sensor?

If I'm not mistaken, that code is for the VVT system. Usually when you get that one, you and your (empty) wallet will go hand in hand.

Actually, I think it's for the oil control valve for the variable valve timing system.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sorry wrong code

Sorry I posted the wrong code, p0101 is the correct code, I cleaned with CRC MAF cleaner and reset, I guess a new sensor is the next step if it codes again. On the code summary it lists ECM failed 1 st followed by MAF connector, MAF sensor, and MAF sensor circuit open. The car runs great anyone think there is a chance the ECM has a prob. ?
Old 10-17-2012, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That one is usually a dirty MAF sensor. You MIGHT have fixed it. You'll know soon.

If it comes back, it most likely needs replaced $$$$. I doubt the ECM has anything to do with it. All the ECM does is supply 12V to the MAF sensor heater to measure the air flow across it.

Let us know the outcome...............
Old 10-17-2012, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for all the help so far ,I really appreciate it. I cleaned it and after about a 100 miles it coded again . I replaced the MAF today ( sadly couldn't do org. equp part) guess Ill see if that gets it done,
Thanks again everyone
Old 10-18-2012, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi again, well I replaced the MAF and still got codes. I was wondering if anyone has the diagnostic tree for the p0101 code or any other suggestions. I hate to do the dealership thing when the cars runs so well.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0101

Google is your friend!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the link, i found reference to PCV causing this issue, I will change that next. I also found reference to a mass air filter, is that the permanent filter that is in the top half of the filter box? Does anyone know why the codes take so long to appear, they seam to come on after about 2 good drives , maybe 50 miles or so. Does the ECM have a delay in miles or cycles? Waiting for the codes is a drag and just when you think you have it solved the pop on and #@#$ up your day.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update , crazy thing all the check lights went out last night, could i be that lucky
Old 10-19-2012, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's the air filter, if its dirty then replace it so you keep the MAF sensor clean.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks to everyone for there input, I think I have the problem solved and wanted to post it for the next person with the same issue as a possible resolution,it seams the PCV was the cause , must have been leaking past and causing the MAF to read out of range. You all are very sharp its great to have a resource where i can count on the info.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:36 PM

I'm just got these 3 lights on today. My 06 Xb has 192k+ miles and a couple days ago started sputtering at take off a bit. I've never had any issues and it's factory original, no mods. Any ideas?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have to have someone read the codes, the dealership or even most parts stores can plug in and get codes. It could be anything from some emission control device to a coil pack. Also Toyota has a recall out on some 06's for a miss issue ( i think its a cam gear sensor or something). When I took mine to the dealership the service writer checked my emission code, sadly mine wasnt part of the recall and Im still chasing down the prob.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 PM

Thanks. I did have it read this morning. The code I got was p0301 cylinder 1 misfire, which would explain the engine stutter at take off. We replaced the spark plugs a while ago, so now I just have to make sure nothing is loose and that there's no oil pooled in the cylinders.

If anyone else has info on this code it would be appreciated.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

its prob. the #1 coil pack , you could replace it or if you want to test it just switch it with one from a different cyl and see if the code changes to the cyl you moved it to. For example if you move the #1 pack to cyl #2 and you get a miss code on #2 you know the pack is bad. With the high mileage you stated (192k) if you still have the org. packs i would change them if you have the $
Old 12-05-2016, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey viewers.
I've run my OBDII diagnostics tool on my '04 xB and I am also getting the P0301 code (cylinder 1 misfire). Swapped the coil pack between cylinder 1 and 2 and the error code remained with cylinder 1, so it doesn't appear to be the coil pack. I've also changed out the spark plugs. I have 363K miles on my toaster now. I think there's low compression on that cylinder.
I will check the compression this week.
I've had the same 3 dash lights (VSC, Check Engine, trac off) for awhile now.
Surprisingly, I'm still getting over 32mpg, so I don't seem to be having an issue with emissions, but until I can find out what to do to clear my check engine, I'm not going to pass the SMOG test. Any advice is welcomed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help: vsc, check engine, trac off ON