Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

need power for my xb axleback exhaust or cold air intake

Old 03-01-2007, 08:23 PM

Default need power for my xb axleback exhaust or cold air intake

whats the firs step i should take? im budgeting at about 300 bux. what will i get more power from and what brand is in my price range?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default hey

Well 2 things.. 1 you can check the buyers guide on intakes on exhausts. Just look at the top of the forum Scion xa/xb Drivetrain and Power. That should help you out.

Im also looking at intake and exhaust. Intake im thinking the Injen Short ram series that normally runs 160-170. And im getting the Strup axleback exhaust.

Normally people run intake and then get exhaust...But either one first would work, your call.

If you only got $300.00 bucks an axle back is probably going to be a lil over 300.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:47 PM

Default thanx

i really appreciate ur advice and what do you think of fujita short ram intake or do you like injen better
Old 03-01-2007, 10:32 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fujita and injen are pretty much the same product just different name
Old 03-02-2007, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

I got my Injen SRI for $160 and my Magnaflow Catback for $150. Everyone on here is buying full stainless sytems. I just went down to Master Muffler and Brake, picked out a muffler and tip and told them I wanted 2 1/4 piping from the cat back. Done. I also later installed a silencer that was like an extra $50. Although my whole exhaust isn't stainless, the important parts are; the muffler and the tip. Plus I got the performance of a stainless catback for half the price.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

an exhaust should net more gains. When looking at performance products ask yourself why didnt the factory do it that way?
The factory intake isnt that restrictive on these cars, theres no reason for it to be, but the exhaust on the ther hand has to be to be quiet, cheap and have a cat for emmisions reasons. So power is to be had in the exhaust and removing the cat.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For $300 you can have both.

Get yourself a Fujita F5 short ram. You can get it for $150 from many online stores, and as low as $119 off of ebay. The design is similar to Injen, but has better location for the vent line (after the MAF). Not to mention the lower price.

For the exhaust find your local Magnaflow dealer. Take your car to them and tell them you wasn a 2 1/4" cat-back exhaust using a glasspack for a resonator and a Magnaflow muffler with your choice of tip. You can also have them use the trick that Stylis does of running the glass pack in reverse so that it doesn't decrease the flow as much.

At the very most, I would expect you could get both of these done for under $350. And that includes pretty expensive labor and pricing from your local muffler shop.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Get them both like me and ^^^ said.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i'm getting the strup v2.0 and the k&n typhoon intake. the exhaust i will do myself and the intake i will try to to myself. terribleted recommended the intake so i will get that cuz he's a professional.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

I have the perrin intake. No regrets, it made a huge difference in the way the box drives. Honest advice, go with an intake from a reputable company and you will be happy. If you go off brand you could run in to craftmanship and fitment issues.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would get an intake. I have an Injen Short Ram and it is awesome. The xB is still no where near "fast" but it was definately noticeable that the box was breathing better.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Have you considered a pulley? I felt the most seat of the pants gains when I installed my pulley.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pulleys are bad. If you want more info pm me.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by redwar1441
pulleys are bad. If you want more info pm me.
Please share here. If they are that bad, I think everyone would like to see.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/in...pic=14934&st=0 folow the links.

even toyota says they are bad in there engineering publications.

there are no harmonic dampeners available for these cars as of now. All the aftermarket pulleys are balanced one piece units that do not include a rubber dampener. The rubber dampener absorbs harmonic(measured in hz frequency) vibrations(ones you cant even feel) that cause engine damage. This has been proven over and over again. Every peice of metal has a frequency at which it will fail. Even large structurs such as bridges have failed because of improper harmonic isolation.

And pulleys cannot incease hp, its not physically possible. Dyno a car with a stock flywheel then dyno it again with a much lighter weight flywheel (an exagerated pulley for example) they amount of power generated is the same. Once the engine gains inertia it is no longer fighting the miniscul weight of the pulley/flywheel whatever you lighten. It will help your engine rev faster but that isnt always a good thing as it will rev down just as fast and loses inertia making it feel faster when in actuality you are not.
If there were power to gain from this toyota would have done it from the factory.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by redwar1441
If there were power to gain from this toyota would have done it from the factory.
Well where the hell is the TRD turbo kit for the xB?? haha ...just figured I'd be difficult
I won't even go near a light weight pulley...I've read all the horror story posts on here and don't want any part of that.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive heard trd offers turbo kits for the euro market not sure if its true tho. Somebody should import if this is the case. Either way zpi's picking up the slack! turbo turbo turbo!
Old 03-02-2007, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

That's good information redwar1441, but I'm still not convinced it's that bad on the little XB engine. There is another post where many of us dug up as much information as possible and added many many opinions and experiences. In the end we almost came to the agreement that a pulley wouldn't be that bad on a non-forced induction 1NZ-FE because it's so small, has so little power, and isn't a super high revver. The bad news from pulley's always seems to come with larger, higher power engines that are being used for racing or driven very hard on a regular basis. The average person who only wants the pulley for a little spirited driving now and then probably wouldn't notice any problems unless they were going to try and get extreme mileage from the box. If I only get 250K out of my engine instead of 300K+, it's still worth it because it's so much more fun to drive. The pulley made a big difference in the way the car feels while accelerating.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

then why do motorcycle engines have counterbalancers? they're small too.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
For $300 you can have both.

Get yourself a Fujita F5 short ram. You can get it for $150 from many online stores, and as low as $119 off of ebay. The design is similar to Injen, but has better location for the vent line (after the MAF). Not to mention the lower price.

For the exhaust find your local Magnaflow dealer. Take your car to them and tell them you wasn a 2 1/4" cat-back exhaust using a glasspack for a resonator and a Magnaflow muffler with your choice of tip. You can also have them use the trick that Stylis does of running the glass pack in reverse so that it doesn't decrease the flow as much.

At the very most, I would expect you could get both of these done for under $350. And that includes pretty expensive labor and pricing from your local muffler shop.
How do I know where a local Magnaflow dealer is? I really want power increase as well as MPG. However, none of the intakes for the 06 xB are CARB legal.

Thus I think I may have to get my power from the exhaust, please provide more information and I will definately get some power. XD Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need power for my xb axleback exhaust or cold air intake