Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

New Maniflod Back Exhaust System.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 06:16 PM

Default New Maniflod Back Exhaust System.

I was bored the other day and decided to make my own exhaust system, Just like the one I made for Eric M. But on mine I installed a High Flow cat so the light doesn't come on. I used aluminized 21/4in pipe, Carsound high flow catalytic converter, 21/4in high flow resinater, and a MagnaFlow mirror finish Stainless Steel Muffler and tip. The sound is deep and only makes a little noise at 65 and up. Barely noticable, and I love it. http://scionxb.net/index_files/styli...is_exhaust.htm
Enjoy!

Old 09-11-2003, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can you make me one????

Ad-roc
Old 09-11-2003, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member

Are you running a CAI?

Any plans to dyno your setup?

How much would you charge to build/install one of these?
Old 09-11-2003, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gonna have to pay you a visit one of these days Stylis and check out your xb is your shop near the Indoor gun range place ? I used to go there, not sure if they are still in business....
Old 09-11-2003, 08:38 PM

I do not have a CAI yet. I can make these at any time and please PM me if you are interested. I am located next to the gun range, they are still there. My Address is 1339 Minnis Circle Milpitas, CA. Anyone can come over and take a peek. Today I also added my 18in Velox Rims.

Old 09-11-2003, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

How much for that set up with carsound cat ill be adding e.l. header and cai
soon
Old 09-11-2003, 09:30 PM

usdmbB,
The converter by itself? Because that means you have to cut your pipe and have someone weld it on for you. Let me know

Old 09-12-2003, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member

Default FL exhaust

No emissions testing in Florida, so...
No cat, No problem

Blu
Old 09-12-2003, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I like I like! Sounds nice. Maybe you can make a 0-60 video? I have an automatic and is really slow. I did 0-60 in 11 seconds. Oh well, i bought a muffler and i am probably gonna get a manifold back exhaust custom made also. Nice job!
Old 09-12-2003, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this exhaust looks very very nice...i like your professional work with the dual hangars and very nice welds. the exhaust tip looks nice too.

l. garcia 8)
Old 09-12-2003, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok, i got my exhaust on and the car feels great. of course i got the good old P0420 code (cat inefficiency) from my friendly OBD-II system so i am going to try the MIL eliminator from pony express performance. works great for subaru people, so i will see what happens. basically, it just fools the sensor into thinking it's getting the reading it needs for smog purposes. i don't know if it works yet, but if it does, i will let you guys know. they usually sell these as a pair since the mustang has 2 pipes, but you can buy one if you go to the wrx page.

http://www.ponyexpressperformance.co...liminator.html

the exhaust sounds good. really deep at idle. kind of raspy at high rpms but not that bad. the only way to eliminate that would be to add a high flow cat which may decrease some power output. i'm not sure. i am going to try a cold air intake and we'll see how that works out.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: New Maniflod Back Exhaust System.

Originally Posted by Stylis
I was bored the other day and decided to make my own exhaust system, Just like the one I made for Eric M. But on mine I installed a High Flow cat so the light doesn't come on. I used aluminized 21/4in pipe, Carsound high flow catalytic converter, 21/4in high flow resinater, and a MagnaFlow mirror finish Stainless Steel Muffler and tip. The sound is deep and only makes a little noise at 65 and up. Barely noticable, and I love it. http://scionxb.net/index_files/styli...aust.htm<br /> Enjoy!
it sounds good...
what size magnaflow muffler did you end up going with?
the 11" or 14" long bodied ones?
i was thinking the exact same thing.
but i don't have an xB yet to take measurements.
nice subtle choice in tips...looks clean!
Old 09-12-2003, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

i got the good old P0420 code (cat inefficiency)
is this something we can expect with any cat back modified exhaust systems? i was looking into the SPFR cat back system
Old 09-12-2003, 06:34 PM

I used a 14in case for the magnaflow muffler and the reason why eric got the code was because he does not have a catalytic converter hooked up. He has the powerful straight through exhaust. I have had my exhaust on for about 3 days now and there is no check engine light.

Old 09-12-2003, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

no, cat back means you cut the exhaust off after the cat and weld on a bigger pipe. since i wanted the bigger pipe all the way back from the header, i removed all the stock piping from the header back. and yeah, since there is no cat, i get the error. i'm going to try the eliminator mod, and if that doesn't work, i will buy one of stylis' custom high flow cats to put in my car.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:47 PM

Yeah Eric, let us know. That would be cool if the eliminater worked on our cars. Now remember to reset the codes after you install the eliminater, or else the code will stay there. What am talking about, you should know this already.

Old 09-12-2003, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

exactly. for anyone who wants to know how to reset the ECU (and the codes), you can use an OBD-II scanner; or if you don't have one of those lying around your garage, then disconnect the negative terminal of your battery, and press down on the brake pedal for a few seconds to discharge any remaining power from your electrical system. then reconnect the battery and the codes should all be cleared. note that this will also default your ECU to the factory engine settings and your car might feel a little slower and get poor gas mileage until it learns how you drive and adjusts accordingly. today's ECUs are much more powerful than we give them credit for. that is why it takes so long for efficient turbo kits to come out. at least i hope that's the reason. come on you guys, stop slacking on the turbo kits.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:09 PM

hey eric did those elimintors work?

Old 09-19-2003, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

didn't have time to check. but i was doing some research and i think i know how to make it work. basically, the ECU is looking at 2 sensors, one before the cat and one after. the the readings for both sensors are the same, then the ECU sees this as an inefficient catyltic converter and throws an engine service light. the MIL eliminator basically changes the output voltage so that the computer thinks everything is fine and dandy from the sensor. however, not all sensors are the same so the thing i bought might not work. we'll see i guess. i'll try to install it tonight and let you guys know what happens.

BTW: my gas mileage sucks right now because the car is running extra rich since the check light is on.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that exhaust came out nice. is there anyway to make it with mandrel bent piping? also, if you plan on mass producing these then let me know. i have friends at magnaflow and maybe they can see about selling the product at a discounted price if you buy a certain amount. that is of course if you don't already have a dealer for them.

Quick Reply: New Maniflod Back Exhaust System.