Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Scion power

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member

Default Scion power

OK. I'm in college and as a highschool graduation present my parents are getting me a scion. Basically, I love everything about the car except it's straight line performance. My dad has an audi a6 2.7T with about 250 horsepower, and I was wondering if there is a way to give my XB the same sorta punch that my dad's audi has. I just dont like not being able to pass people easily. Will the turbo kits bring the 0-60 times down to the 7 second range? I plan on getting an intake, exhaust, turbo/supercharger, and a few other things. Is there any way to get some real punch out of my XB or am I hopeless?

Thank you all so much!
Old 11-07-2003, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

TRD will be releasing a turbo in about 6-8 months...words straight from the mouth of Scion corporate. They had a car with the kit installed at SEMA, it looked real clean. Suppossed boost is 35-50hp...on a car that weighs 2400 lbs and has 108hp from the factory, that's nearly a 50% increase in power. Should be impressive. I haven't seen any dynos or time trials, but I think it'll be good enough for most...especially since it won't hurt the warranty.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

forget performance, how bout a showcar system? I'll sell you mine-almost brand new.

Have you even tried the scion. Get stick, you'll love it. Its got enough punch and I easily pass everyone. even uphill is a breeze. Save up for the turbo or whatever but atleast give it a chance.

welcome to scionlife
Old 11-07-2003, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got to drive my mom's Volvo on the weekend as my college gift.

Lucky you...
Old 11-07-2003, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

scions are not ment for a lot of speed. there are ways to boost the power and adding an aftermarket turbo will be the way to go. trd will only add minimal power for too much money. plus, 5-6 months in trd lanuage is 9-15 months in real life.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Scion power

Originally Posted by tstalion79
OK. I'm in college and as a highschool graduation present my parents are getting me a scion. Basically, I love everything about the car except it's straight line performance. My dad has an audi a6 2.7T with about 250 horsepower, and I was wondering if there is a way to give my XB the same sorta punch that my dad's audi has. I just dont like not being able to pass people easily. Will the turbo kits bring the 0-60 times down to the 7 second range? I plan on getting an intake, exhaust, turbo/supercharger, and a few other things. Is there any way to get some real punch out of my XB or am I hopeless?

Thank you all so much!
You are already in college but just now you are getting a highschool grad. gift? Yes more power can be gotten out of this engine and the more power the higher the price. You might be able to get another 25hp with a better intake , headers , fuel pressure increase and better ignition. Would most likely need a reprogram or piggyback computer though. Toyota has a turbo setup for this engine in Japan and you might be able to get that , it uses the ct20 turbo wich is small and it only runs 4 pounds of boost , giving 150hp. With this setup and some mods to fuel and boost you should be able to get >200hp. Be careful if you do add more power but make no mods to the lower engine{rods , pistons and crank} otherwise you will tear it up. Also be careful to not try using the xB like a sportscar , it has a much higher center of gravity and if turned too hard will flip. The other option would be to upgrade to a better engine. It very well might be possible to put the ZZ series into this , although it would be a tight squeze.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:38 AM

Don't expect too much, or else you might be dissappointed. Or vehicles were for style not speed.

Old 11-07-2003, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Scion power

Originally Posted by tstalion79
OK. I'm in college and as a highschool graduation present my parents are getting me a scion. Basically, I love everything about the car except it's straight line performance...
OK, you say that your folks are "getting you a Scion". Question: Have you driven one yet?

If not, hold off on mods until you actually drive it. The xB is remarkably quick for 105HP. You only have 2400 pounds to push around, so you don't need the HP.

One thing about being in college, you don't have a lot of time to dink around with cars, unless you want to make cars your only hobby. If you leave your Scion stock it will probably serve you well through your MS degree with normal mantainance. If you hop it up you might not be so lucky!

George
Old 11-07-2003, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

..........And that ladies and gentlemen is what you call some smarrrrt individuals, college doesn't teach this kind of sh#$. I am glad to be apart of such a humble group of Scion owners. IonZmyscionZkid!!!