Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Scion xA Noise when Acceleration at certain speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 AM

Question Scion xA Noise when Acceleration at certain speed

I need some help! This sound is pretty quiet but it's driving me crazy! It kinda sounds like someone is sucking through a straw with a little water in it. I only hear it when I am accelerationg, and only at medium-low acceleration speeds. If I accelerate beyond a certain point it goes away. Sounds like its coming from the passenger engine area.

What could this be? Anyone else have this?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 AM

No ideas? This is driving me nuts!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

These types of noises have been known to drive me nuts. Its like I can't rest until I figure it out. Only once did it ever turn out to be anything important. My best advice would be to get some help pinning down exactly where it is coming from. It wouldn't be uncommon for someone to think they know only to find out that it is coming from someplace totally different. Also, we tend to think drive train or suspension and sometimes that is the problem because you are limiting the options. I once had a terrible squeak coming from the passenger side wheel well on a truck I owned. I took all kinds of things apart trying to find it. No luck. So I had my wife drive while I listened form the passenger side, put my head out the window, etc. I could hear it, and it sounded a bit different, but still no lock. Tried running alongside the car. No lock. Tried ridding on the running board. No luck. Then my wife told me that she didn't hear the sound when I was outside. So I put her outside and drove. No sound. Put here back in the passenger seat. The sound came back. Started listening for the sound under the seat. Yup, that's where it was really coming from. Sprayed some wd40 on the springs and it was gone.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:03 PM

Good post! Yes, these sounds can be very hard to pinpoint, and they do drive me crazy! I want to get rid of the car when I can't solve it.

So far all I've got is that it's only on around 2000 rpms, seems like on acceleration, and it sounds like someone is sucking through a straw, kind of a growling air noise. Anyone experienced this? I've done a ton of searching. Obviously seems like it'd be an air intake thing, but only noticed the sound after my dealer tightened my serpentine belt. Still not sure it's related.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a weird sound sort of like that once that was in a way related to the serpentine belt. It would come and go and I only figured it out when the problem got a lot worse. I wouldn't have described it as sucking through a straw, but growling air nose is close. Turned out to be the clutch going out on the AC compressor. The darn thing ended up going out when I was 150 miles away from the nearest parts store. I ended up finding a shorter belt that let me bypass the compressor until I got home. Could have avoided that I guess if I had thought to take off the belt and spin the clutch. It just never occurred to me that the problem might be there. Also, in my experience, every water pump I have ever had that went bad had different early symptoms (or sometimes none at all). It might be worth the effort to loosen that one belt and see if anything is going on with the parts it is spinning.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear that sucking noise when I turn on the engine, when I accelerate. Also, when I turn off the engine, it;s the last thing I hear. I did some reading and it turned out to be normal sound from the plastic intake manifold. It almost sounds like an aftermarket intake.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:10 PM

Is there some way to get rid of that noise Archangel? I can't stand it!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does your engine sound like mine? I would first ask a mechanic to see if it's normal or if you know anyone else with an XA, XB, or Yaris, you can ask to listen to their engine.

http://s747.photobucket.com/user/Ish...O0035.mp4.html

http://s747.photobucket.com/user/Ish...00656.mp4.html
Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know the sound you are experiencing since I have it to. it happens from 1500-1800 rpms but only when pressing the throttle lightly. Any RPM below or above this range or moderate-heavy throttle doesn't activate this sound. I tried cleaning the OCV filter but no luck. I believe its some valve train noise when going through a light load.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:42 AM

I can't say it sounds like yours archangel, yours seems to be more noticeable and distinct than mine. teabox, you are describing what I am finding, just at a different RPM. Have you found any solutions to fixing it?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:11 PM

TheJosephC,

I came across this topic while trying to find a solution for a similar noise which I have in my Peugeot 107 which is equipped in my opinion with the same engine as Scion IQ (1.0 l Toyota built 1KR-FE engine).

In order to illustrate the noise I have recorded an audio using the phone from inside the car when driving. It is a very bad quality, but it actually allows you to hear the noise and probably have some clue about it.

The sound file can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/user641485394/enginerattlenoise

Starting from 48th second of the audio you start to hear the sound. On 54th second I remove the foot from the pedal and it's gone. On 59th second I press on gaz again and the sound is stronger. The strongest sound can be heard starting from 01:07.

Do you have the same problem?

Thanks for any tips!
Old 10-27-2014, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by voldemarus
TheJosephC,

I came across this topic while trying to find a solution for a similar noise which I have in my Peugeot 107 which is equipped in my opinion with the same engine as Scion IQ (1.0 l Toyota built 1KR-FE engine).

In order to illustrate the noise I have recorded an audio using the phone from inside the car when driving. It is a very bad quality, but it actually allows you to hear the noise and probably have some clue about it.

The sound file can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/user641485394/enginerattlenoise

Starting from 48th second of the audio you start to hear the sound. On 54th second I remove the foot from the pedal and it's gone. On 59th second I press on gaz again and the sound is stronger. The strongest sound can be heard starting from 01:07.

Do you have the same problem?

Thanks for any tips!
Check the vacuum lines that come off the OE airbox. If you changed a filter recently, sometimes they come off and make a similar noise. Had that in my Echo once. Either the one that comes directly off the vacuum side of the box, or the back hose that comes off the little blue sensor that's on the tab on top of the box. It was only once, but it did make a weird noise with no CEL.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:08 PM

Thanks Harvey. I will try to check these lines and will report back if it changed anything.