Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

need help: vsc, check engine, trac off ON

Old 07-21-2005, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default need help: vsc, check engine, trac off ON

Need help... Today the vsc, trac off and check engine light turned on...it was raining when it turned on... The only mod I did was rims, drop, and injen intake (sr)... Could it be the intake? I had the drop and rims for like 2 weeks and the intake for like a week... Please help... Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

some connector is only halfassedly connected. check the maf sensor and then the if that isnt it check the abs sensors
Old 07-30-2005, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the same lights came on in my car but it was because of the tail lights i put in. it was an easy fix one bulb wasnt put in the right way. if you got an injen intake it may be that, sometimes they come with too much oil and mess up the sensor and that sucks.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well I made the lights turned off... First I take off my intake... And clean the inside stainless steel piping... Thanks marsh for recommending this.... Washed it with soap and water... After dry with a heat gun... Then let it rest for an hour or so to make sure there's not water... After that... Reinstall the intake.. And what do we know... Still got the light on.... Drove it around for awhile... And still on... Research some more on scionlife... Found this thing about resetting the ecu on the fuse part... Did that... Then light is gone... Thanks marsh and sL for troubleshooting...
Old 07-30-2005, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

My polar white xB did that , took it to the dealer and it had an engine misfire and the receipt said they replaced a coil pack and it hasn't come on since then
Old 07-30-2005, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same problem when I installed the K&N Typhoon. I did all the troubleshooting listed on the forums and could not get rid of it. It kept coming back. I eventually took it out. Problem solved.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Dang it... Lights come on every 3 to 4 days.... Then I do the ecu?eci? Reset fuse... It turns off... Then 3 or 4 days later it comes on... What should I do? Plus my mileage came down... Before the intake I had like 270 miles when the empty light come on... Now I only get 210... Not sure why... But people please help... Thanks
Old 08-12-2005, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Its gonna pop on every 100 or so miles till you get the problem corrected. Does anyone you know have an OBD II scanner?? Find someone that has one and plug your car in and see what the code is. All my lights come on also but thats cause my system is running real rich until I get it tuned on Friday.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Sounds like your MAF is fouled. Get some Eletronic parts cleaner and spray it down and dry it off. Washing or wiping out a new intake is very important, but you need to clean the MAF now too. That would explain the mileage drop, too. Disconnect the battery first, then after you've re-assembled, let the engine idle for 15 minutes with occasional throttle pushes so it can detect and register and prepare itself for the engine with the intake...
Old 08-16-2005, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well I did the obdII scanner...and got 3 codes...

1. P0441 evaporative emission control system incorrect purge flow

2. P0442 evaporative emission control system leak detected (small leak)

3. P0446 evaporative emission control system vent control circuit malfunction

Not sure what is al those above means... So please help... Thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Try reconnecting all the hoses from the intake to the motor then reset the ecu by disconnecting the negative battery cable or removing the EFI fuse. This should clear everything out and fix the problem
Old 08-16-2005, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good info in this thread!
Old 08-17-2005, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i took out the maf sensor... which part i gotta clean? do i have to clean the pins that has this cryatal ball on it? or inside where the pins get connected? thanks for every ones suggestion... btw i did take it off and reinstall 2 before...
Old 08-17-2005, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took my MAF out, pulled the intake. Cleaned it out and sprayed the MAF pretty good with electical cleaner. It fired up and idled better. Now I will see what happens tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I just took out my maf sensor and clean it with contact cleaner that evaporates fast...clean it twice jus to make sure...then install it back to the intake... Did the eci reset by the fuse.... Turn on the car and let it idle for about 10 mins... Then drive around...Felt lil more better... Better response too... Now gotta wait around 100 miles or so if the vsc, trac off and check engine light come on... Hopefully it doesn't... Thanks people for the suggestion... Hopefully this thread helps other people too
Old 08-17-2005, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cheXmiXB
I just took out my maf sensor and clean it with contact cleaner that evaporates fast...clean it twice jus to make sure...then install it back to the intake... Did the eci reset by the fuse.... Turn on the car and let it idle for about 10 mins... Then drive around...Felt lil more better... Better response too... Now gotta wait around 100 miles or so if the vsc, trac off and check engine light come on... Hopefully it doesn't... Thanks people for the suggestion... Hopefully this thread helps other people too
The EXACT same thing happened to me, and I did what you did. The MAF was all dirty and black.

The car does run better after cleaning it and resetting the ECU.

-THE DON
Old 08-17-2005, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Day one. No lights and my fingers are still crossed.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey eggie... What kind of intake you got? And how much miles you went so far after you clan the intake and maf sensor? And for the maf sensor did you spray all of the metel connections? Jus wondering cause I sprayed a lot on the connection deep inside the plastic, the place that you connect the wires, and the 2 metal that make a connection on the end that have a hard crystal ball looking thingy
Old 08-18-2005, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*EDIT*

Wouldn't you know it, that damn lights came on this evening

Oh well, I am working on putting an Apexi filter on. I also remember someone doing a test where they removed the fog light cover to allow more air to hit the filter and it caused the lights to come on. He reset the ECU and drove home. By the time he got home the light came on again. Once he put the cover back on the light never came on again...

So maybe it has to do with the filter location on the "L" type AEM intake? I never had this problem with my Injen SR... Well, I know it is intake related because like I said, it never happened until I put the AEM on. I also read others had this problem with the K&N intake.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I drive w/ my lights on all day long

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help: vsc, check engine, trac off ON