Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Sluggish at Highway speed..

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member

Default Sluggish at Highway speed..

Hello all,

I have Searched this Forum looking for threads on slow acceleration. There are plenty of those, but none seem to describe the problem I'm having. I have a 2005 xB I have owned since new. It has had no major mechanical problems with the exception of a water pump and a thermostat. My daughter drives it to college. She told me it was sluggish around town but even worse at highway speed. The last time she was home, I noticed the sluggishness and added some fuel injector cleaner which helped a lot. When I was replacing the air filter, I noticed that the air cleaner hose was disconnected. I stuck it back on and tightened the clamp. My daughter now reports that it is just like normal around town, but above 60 it's still pretty sluggish. The engine light is not on. It idles normally. I changed the oil and the old oil looked normal. The vehicle has about 150,000 miles on it and has always had oil changes at the required intervals. I replaced the spark plugs I think about a year ago so that's probably about 15,000 miles. This seems to have started after she was stuck in snow and had to work to get it out. I checked the transmission fluid and it was on the low notch when cool to the touch. There were no bubbles in it and no burnt smell.

Thanks for any help you can give.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-20-2020 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 05-20-2020, 06:31 AM
SL Member

Hi, I am not the first owner of Scion xB 2004. Few years ago the car show some signs of aging. Eating oil, smoke on the exhaust, no power delivered by engine, and much more. I took the initiative and start replacing the engine oil. From regular oil to 5- 30W full synthetic. The oil filter was replace to synthetic filter to match full synthetic oil. The spark plugs are Iridium (for high temperature), 4 brand new tire (balanced), alignment done, replace as needed (twice) the transmission filter including the transmission fluid (need to be red and clean), new battery, new high output charger alternator (200 Amperes that cost +$50), new temperature sensor, new PCV valve, new belts (two belts made in US). I add a small voltmeter (1 inch X 2 inches). Because if the computer will not get the 12 volts, or the voltage will fluctuate (up and down) the computer will be confuse on how the car will perform. Also, I replace the original front lights 55 Wats (too much consumption), to 30W new technology with a little fan to disperse the heat on aluminum heat sink. The new light give more light (6,000K). Easy to drive on dark parking spaces. To restore the cylinders compression I use one bottle from Autozone. And never, ever drive on low tank gas. Because this will ruin the gas pump.
Today the car drive like new (or better). And the best part is that today no-one is trying to break in or to steal an old car.