Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Starter Issues...

Old 07-05-2013, 02:42 PM

Default Starter Issues...

Morning everyone, long time owner, first time caller

I'm having a problem with my car, a 2005 xB. Last night, when I went to start the car, it hesitated slightly before turning over. It was enough to make me wonder. Later, after picking up my wife, it hesitated for at least a second before turning over. We were hoping that it might have been the fuel line, since I haven't flushed it in a couple of years, but I was wondering if it was the starter, or something to do with it.

When I went to start the car for work, it would not turn over, and all I got was a rapid click-click noise. The lights, radio, and air came on, and there was no dimming or anything like that; the battery was replaced last year, so I know that's not the issue. I feel pretty sure that it's the starter, but could it be something else, or at least something related to the starter?

I'm having a friend come over to take a look at it, mostly because he will be far cheaper than being price gouged by our local mechanic, who does a good job, but will charge me $90 just to tell me what I likely already know, then charge me another $200 for part(s) and 'labor,' which I don't have.

Any suggestions? I can afford a new starter motor (especially after the Core Return discount), but not much more than that for another week, and I really don't want to use my wife's boat car (2001 Buick Century) to get around.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you've got a lot of miles on it, it sounds like the starter.

Check the relay first though-

Back in the day you could cross a screw driver across the pos and neg terminals on the starter to get it turning and the car started- it was a drag getting under it every time- but that was when I was young and broke.