Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Whats the differnce between axle back, cat back...

Old 10-03-2003, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Whats the differnce between axle back, cat back...

guys...sorry but i dont know much about the tech about cars...soo heres a question...whats the difference between an axle back, a cat back, and a "performance" muffler tip? advancetages, disadvantages? which gets the most power out of our boxes? which makes the best of each? thanks guys...
Old 10-03-2003, 02:32 PM

A cat back is a system that attaches to the back of the catalytic converter, an axel back exhaust is what is available for our vehicles. The muffler unbolts right before the rear bar. Now I don't think there will be a cat back exhaust system for our vehicles, because the catalytic converter is welded to the system.

Cat back systems usually bolt on to the back of the cat, in our case we cannot. So that is why I have made a manifold back exhaust system. A performance tip does nothing with out a system. For optimum performance, I recomend the manifold back system. Just let me know and I can help you out on that.

Old 11-22-2003, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member

Exactly, manifold back is best because otherwise you're just creating a bottleneck. Axle-back exhaust replacements may give you a tad bit of power but it's basically not worth it if you're looking for true gains. Just my .02, axle-backs are more for style than for power.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:48 AM

Now remember, not everyone can afford a manifold back system. And an axel back is still a great mod! Don't anyone forget that. :D

Old 11-24-2003, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It all makes power!!!!!! But I would prefer to pick up a manifold back exhaust....
Old 11-25-2003, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Talked to DC and they said they only saw a 2hp gain from cat-back to axle back. I don't think manifold back is needed unless more mods are done, like head work , forced induction.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member

It's not too hard to have the pipe cut just behind the cat and have your cat-back system welded into place either. I've been talking to quite a few muffler shops and that seems like the best and most legal way to get the most hp out of an exhaust mod for these little suckers :o :mrgreen:
Old 12-13-2003, 04:18 AM

thats me! I installed a cat back with a 5 zigen on scionara 's ride! His sounds pretty dam good too. I just hope he comes out to dyno day with us tomorrow. A cat back system is very easy to make. just got to make sure everything fits right or the pipe will hit the rear arm. :D Need a cat back PM me and I can make one for ya!