Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xB Overheated

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default xB Overheated

about a month ago my 04 xB overheated on the freeway there was nowhere to pull over for about a quarter mile before i got off the freeway and pulled over and turned the car off.the radiator was bone dry but my car has zero leaks! never leaks anything!! there was white dry spots all over my engine bay kinda like when you wash your car on a hot day and leave it in the sun without drying it?? so i let it cool and filled the radiator with water about a gallon. over heat light stayed off the rest of the way home about 10 miles in the freeway and had the ac on just to see if it would turn on again and it didn't. but the check engine light abs light and and vsc light stayed on. so when i got home i disconected the battery for a while and all was back to normal. i have wanted to take it to the dealer to get it all checked out but funds have bin very low.so on wednesday my wife took my xb to school and if overheated again? about a month after the first time it happened again the water was low about half a gallon it took to fill up.ill be taking the car to the dealer to get checked out this weekend what should i ask them to check? drive belts, spark plugs, oil , and tranny flush was recently done. i drive the car about 50 miles a day all highway. but i do have a fabulouse body kit and a rs3 grill both restrict the airflow to the engine. could that be apart of the problem?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-07-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

if you are losing water without visible leaks you may have an internal leak (i.e. blown head gasket) that may be letting water get into the combustion chamber and getting blown out the tail pipe. pull your dipstick and check the oil. if it is milky looking you have water in the oil.

those dry white spots are dried up water so you may have a water leak somewhere. if it is on the drive belt side of the engine you may have a leaking waterpump flinging the water all over the engine bay and hood.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Faulty water pump, blockage in the cooling system, faulty radiator...
Old 10-30-2015, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member

I starting having the same trouble with my Scion XB 05 over two months ago. I had some looking at and he replaced the ac compressor because one of the belts broke he thought that was the problem. I drive it for about a month after he fixed it and now the car starts overheating once I drive it for less than five miles with or without the ac on.

The car also starts to stall little when I accelerate as if gas or maybe air is not getting to where it needs to be. My car is a manual transmission. I dont have any leaks. I dont have the money to take it to toyota, but my rental my dad's car has to turned in by the end of next week I know some mobile mechanics but I dont want them to take advantage of me. I need help.