Scion xA/xB Forced Induction Q&A

Old 10-26-2005, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Scion xA/xB Forced Induction Q&A

I have noticed a lot of people showing interest in possibly going down the road of turbo or even superchargers for their 1nz lately. I just wanted to give everyone the heads up that I have been down this road with turboing my xB and am open for questioning as always if anyone needs any help in converting to a turbo setup. I also do have some parts still available that may be of some use to you guys if you decide to go turbo. I loved the boost in the xB as the car really comes to life and becomes very spunky and quick/responsive to the boost. The only downfall, as most know by now is the fuel management setups. Piggybacks just dont fair well with our ECU's and standalone is a route most people arent willing to take. Well, anyway, I think if you can deal with having *CEL's at all times and dont mind pulling fuses every couple of days to make the car run correct, you should go ahead and do it. If you dont think you have the knowledge to troubleshoot if something happens, or are not the type to be under your hood EVERY day, and I mean EVERY day then this is not for you.
*The only CEL I ever threw was a system too rich code from the injectors i put in
P:S....what the hell ever happend to our F/I forum......Can we really get that going already please
Old 10-26-2005, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Im thinking about turboing my xA, but i wanted to hear past experencies from other people that have already done this. I didnt know about the fuel management nor the piggyback problem, so i guess ill have to see into stand-alone... I dont know.

I guess the real question is :Is it worth it?!?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well, if your doing the install yourself, and you have some decent knowledge on working on motors or the basics of how to turbocharge an N/A motor or how a turbo even works then yea, go and do it. You dont hafta do a stand alone cause if you do you will lose your daily driveability not to mention things like your VSC, Traction control basically all the electronically controlled features of the car. If you dont wanna pull fuses which is the easiest way to keep it running good, you can wire in a switch to the ignition or even a toggle switch inside the cockpit to reset your EFI system.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:15 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by JSosa
I guess the real question is :Is it worth it?!?

YES...Its worth it....
Old 10-29-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Were you really under the hood EVERY day? What would always go wrong and why were you throwing CELs ?
Old 10-29-2005, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by BrianxB
Were you really under the hood EVERY day? What would always go wrong and why were you throwing CELs ?
Nothing was really wrong, Im just **** and go over everything like 5 times after some hard runs...the only CEL I ever threw with the turbo was a P0172(system too rich bank 1) and it was because of the larger injectors I put in. It was getting too much fuel at idle and would throw the code no matter what...the only problem is that its a hard code that also throws the VSC and Trac light on but they are still in working condition...dont let this shy you away though cause the boost was sick in this car.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
Nothing was really wrong, Im just **** and go over everything like 5 times after some hard runs...the only CEL I ever threw with the turbo was a P0172(system too rich bank 1) and it was because of the larger injectors I put in. It was getting too much fuel at idle and would throw the code no matter what...the only problem is that its a hard code that also throws the VSC and Trac light on but they are still in working condition...dont let this shy you away though cause the boost was sick in this car.
you were running 330cc GTS injectors right?
Old 10-29-2005, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yup
Old 10-30-2005, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yup
How much did a set run for you? I owned a GTS, but they came with the car.

Did you piece together your whole kit or did you buy it complete and change parts?

Whats your reccomendation for a decent kit thats out now?
Old 10-30-2005, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yup

Did you piece together your whole kit or did you buy it complete and change parts?

I got the set from JDaniels for like $100 used. They are around $140 a pop new!!! Definitely grab them from a junkyard if you can. Its gotta be like an 03-04 and they will be good enough to use. I changed parts with the kit. I didnt use the fuel management system that came with the kit because it is very innacurate and unstable. I got the injectors, rail, 255lph pump, aeromotive 1:1 Fuel pressure reg, custom return line setup etc. Right now as far as decent kits, I dont think there is one out there if that makes any sense I dont like the idea of the turbo being behind the firewall on my old kit, I would much rather see a top mounted turbo. I would see if you could have someone custom fabricate you a equal length turbo mani w/ an external wastegate. One thing that I never got to mess with was trying to fab a custom intake w/ a larger MAF port than stock. I was using the stock airbox on my setup and it really put a hurting on my performance. My MAF used to wig out because of all the compressed air it was seeing through this small diameter housing. I would maybe use a slightly smaller intercooler to decrease any minimal lag you may see to begin with, and replace with an Intercooler sprayer. Then my friend, the rest is up to you. That is the hard way out, but if you want a kit, I would wait to see whats gonna happen at SEMA cause I have a feeling a few companies may be showcasing some stuff for the near future. There were a few companies waiting to release a kit, one of them was RevHard which I am dissapointed this never came out yet. Another one that comes to mind is PSI racing....another one that suddenly went back into hiding. Dont even waste your time with Greddy unless you got some hookup with them and they are willing to re program the Emanage for you to run on the USDM 1nz...might wanna convert to their MAP tuning interface while your at it. ZPI is supposedly going to develop a turbo for the xB, but I dont think that they realize that this is a whole different ball game from the tC. They are used to working with a vehicle that is designed to run an optional supercharger so it is prepped to see the added boost, as the xB is far far from that. I am very curious to see how their venture goes, I just hope they dont try to cut corners like everyone else has out of frustration with the management system that curses us from day one from the factory.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yup

I got the set from JDaniels for like $100 used. They are around $140 a pop new!!! Definitely grab them from a junkyard if you can. Its gotta be like an 03-04 and they will be good enough to use. I changed parts with the kit. I didnt use the fuel management system that came with the kit because it is very innacurate and unstable. I got the injectors, rail, 255lph pump, aeromotive 1:1 Fuel pressure reg, custom return line setup etc. Right now as far as decent kits, I dont think there is one out there if that makes any sense I dont like the idea of the turbo being behind the firewall on my old kit, I would much rather see a top mounted turbo. I would see if you could have someone custom fabricate you a equal length turbo mani w/ an external wastegate. One thing that I never got to mess with was trying to fab a custom intake w/ a larger MAF port than stock. I was using the stock airbox on my setup and it really put a hurting on my performance. My MAF used to wig out because of all the compressed air it was seeing through this small diameter housing. I would maybe use a slightly smaller intercooler to decrease any minimal lag you may see to begin with, and replace with an Intercooler sprayer. Then my friend, the rest is up to you. That is the hard way out, but if you want a kit, I would wait to see whats gonna happen at SEMA cause I have a feeling a few companies may be showcasing some stuff for the near future. There were a few companies waiting to release a kit, one of them was RevHard which I am dissapointed this never came out yet. Another one that comes to mind is PSI racing....another one that suddenly went back into hiding. Dont even waste your time with Greddy unless you got some hookup with them and they are willing to re program the Emanage for you to run on the USDM 1nz...might wanna convert to their MAP tuning interface while your at it. ZPI is supposedly going to develop a turbo for the xB, but I dont think that they realize that this is a whole different ball game from the tC. They are used to working with a vehicle that is designed to run an optional supercharger so it is prepped to see the added boost, as the xB is far far from that. I am very curious to see how their venture goes, I just hope they dont try to cut corners out of frustration with the management system that curses us from day one from the factory.
awesome. I can grab a set of used injectors easily.

Hmm a custom made manifold sounds like downtime on the car which I really cant do since its a daily driver and I work 5+ days a week.

I heard about the Revhard kit from my little brother. One of his friends has an RS2 xB and has been interested in boosting it. I am friends with a guy who has an account with Greddy but I doubt that will give me much pull in gettting them to help with the emanage.

So did where did you get your "kit"? turbo-kits.com?

As we've discussed in PMs, I dont need to blow anyones doors off. I just want it to run and give me some torque and driveability.

Thanks so much for answering my questions.

Someone, please write Apexi a letter telling them to come out with a plug and play ECM for the xB with base maps loaded onto it.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

awesome. I can grab a set of used injectors easily.

Hmm a custom made manifold sounds like downtime on the car which I really cant do since its a daily driver and I work 5+ days a week.

I heard about the Revhard kit from my little brother. One of his friends has an RS2 xB and has been interested in boosting it. I am friends with a guy who has an account with Greddy but I doubt that will give me much pull in gettting them to help with the emanage.

So did where did you get your "kit"? turbo-kits.com?

As we've discussed in PMs, I dont need to blow anyones doors off. I just want it to run and give me some torque and driveability.

Thanks so much for answering my questions.

Someone, please write Apexi a letter telling them to come out with a plug and play ECM for the xB with base maps loaded onto it.
Yea, Greddy is such ball busters and the only person who I know who was able to get a reprogram from them was my Regional and District Scion corp managers. It was the basic greddy kit on a RS 1.0. The funny thing was, they never wanted to run me, maybe it was cause they were running like 4-5 psi, I was running 6-8psi depending on my mood
I actually bought the kit from that guy JDaniels and I cought it at a killer price back in early June. Definitely enjoyed every minute of it and got nothing but compliments about it. I actually sold the box to a guy who joined my car club so I get to see it a lot...actually saw it last night at our local Fri night meet spot(friday night import/muscle scene w/ some high hp cars running) and I made him run a turbo D-motor civic w/ pistons, rods, sleeved block, edelbrock intake mani etc. and the same Garett T20 as I was running and my box beat the civic by a couple cars lol.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Also, dont worry about the questions, thats why I kind of started the thread...I think that some of the other F/I guys should come on out and check this thread out and give their input and maybe make this a sticky since we cant get our F/I forums going yet...I would change the thread title to "Everything and anything about going/being Forced Induction"
Old 10-30-2005, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BrianxB, you said you were reverting back to stock... was that just stock suspension? Sounds like you're planning to keep the box and go FI. :thumbs:
Old 10-30-2005, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i'm not a turbo guy, but if you have a supercharger Q, i'll do my best to help you out....

V, i figured out what my code was. (evap leak...small....)
just a side effect of my install...
Old 10-30-2005, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

also, made this an anoucement till we get a FI forum...
Old 10-30-2005, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by dgHotLava
i'm not a turbo guy, but if you have a supercharger Q, i'll do my best to help you out....

Yes, Dave is definitely the man to speak to when dealing with the superchargers...he has a very clean setup.
Hey Dave, Stuart actually threw that same code when he did his turbo...he thought it was due to the return line setup...no biggie, just a minor glitch.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ok, time to step up with a question.

Once my egg is off warranty I have plans for the 1NZ. I want to supercharge my xA, plain and simple.

Now I know that Blitz is the big guy when it comes to Superchargers and the 1NZ-FE engine, however, I have also noticed in the parts section that Power Enterprise also has a kit as well. Now the obvious differences are the PE is a centrifugal design and Blits is a Roots style supercharger. Are there any benefits to the PE kit (if it fits the xA) over the Blitz in terms of performance or will they give equivalent gains?

I personally love both kits, and the whine of a supercharger just gets me going. dgHotLava what has been your experiences and what am I looking at in terms of workload for installation and tuning? I have about 2.5 years before I go F/I so there is plenty of time to research and gain knowledge on the process.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by uber-xA-RS2
Ok, time to step up with a question.

Now I know that Blitz is the big guy when it comes to Superchargers and the 1NZ-FE engine, however, I have also noticed in the parts section that Power Enterprise also has a kit as well. Now the obvious differences are the PE is a centrifugal design and Blits is a Roots style supercharger. Are there any benefits to the PE kit (if it fits the xA) over the Blitz in terms of performance or will they give equivalent gains?
I dont think Dave is online right now, but I will briefly answer the question and let him finish the answer tommorow. Theres one thing that I hafta correct you on though before we get any further, the Blitz supercharger actually is a centrifugal supercharger. It is different in essence to the PE because it replaces the stock intake manifold as the PE is a true bolt on affair which I believe mounts on to an alternator bracket(help me dave lol), with tapping the oil return line as being probly one of the hardest part of the install. I do not know exactly if the PE fits the xA, but I couldnt see why not cause your not running an intercooler and if you decide to the only thing I could possibly see different would be the space you have to route charge pipes. I think the only difference in the engine bay of the two would be the location of the strut towers which shouldnt be an issue and the washer fluid tank design is different(hence why the TSI kit is really for an xA). I would go with the PE kit, as it will definitely outperform the blitz and seems to run better than the blitz as well
Old 10-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by dgHotLava

That is the same code that I am still getting now even without the turbo. I believe in my case that it is from the return line setup that I made and its registering a small leak due to hole I drilled in the housing for the return line. I have had NO driveability problems with the code, just stupid dash lights....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scion xA/xB Forced Induction Q&A