Notices

In serious need of some help from you f/i experts. My box fails right now

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default In serious need of some help from you f/i experts. My box fails right now

Ok so my car has been shutting off periodically for the last few months while drivng. It always starts right back up and boosts fine so i figuered i wont worry about it. Well last weekend while detailing my car for a show the next morning the car just shut off. I went to turn it back on but this time it would only turn over. I couldnt give it gas at all. (like fuel was shut off) But i smelled it the engine bay.
So i called a tow truck and when it showed up 45 mins later my car decided to work fine again. So once again i put the problem on the back burner
Well this past friday it died for the final time. Towed and everything. I figured i can fix it myself at my house with help from friends but i was wrong. The only way i got to run was from disconnecting the piggy back and plugging it back in. Now i can give it gas but it missfires like a biyatch and wants to stall any chance it gets. Also doesnt boost properly anymore. Any input would be greatly appreciated as this car is my only means of transportation.

P.S. One idea i have but not sure if it makes any sence is when i unplugged the piggyback i reset the tune or something? I always thought you just plug it in and it automatically runs the map

Specs
Hks full bolt on turbo kit
tc injectors
hf fuel rail.
hks f-con piggyback (supplied with kit)
Old 07-20-2011, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Any codes? That would help a lot. If it's not boosting you've got a leak somewhere, check ALL your couplings. Next suspect would be the MAF sensor, and then the pressure sensor if the F-CON came with one (not familiar w/ it).

Worst case pull the turbo, return to stock and troubleshoot remaining problems from there.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the response!
Sorry i left out some details as i was in a hurry this am when i made this

Thought it could be a possible maf issue so i swapped mafs with a freind and my car ran the exact same.

codes 301,302,371,113
All pretty much indicating the car is running lean. 113 comes up the most(hot intake temps) that code stopped as soon as i unplugged and plugged in the pigggyback unit. Misfires are in 1st 2 cylinders. Though it was the injectors themselves but when swapping them all around the problem stays in the same cylinders.

Plugs are good
Can hear the fuel pump running

Btw when i said its not boosting properly i meant it was leaning out and breaking up under load. ( I should of specified).I checked for vacumm leaks but found none.

Im getting desperate but idk if i can have my car down long enough to return it to stock.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM

I had a similar issue. randomly, engine was jerking then stalling. I could hear similar to a vaccum leak before he stall. I could smell something abnormal in the car!

Sometimes it start up right after stalling, and 1 day it took about 5mins before restarting.

This is all after turbo install... Nowaday this problem did not really come back but I never repaired/found what it was.