Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

back speaker wires....where?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member

Default back speaker wires....where?

I'm gonna install my amp under the seat (one of the front seats, probably the passenger side). I figure the easiest way to power the rear speakers from the amp is to tap into the factory wires on their way to the back of the car. So, where are they routed, anyone know?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 10-03-2003, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the easiest way it to tap in to the adapter and just run the wires to the amp...that way you are not messing with the factory stuff...this is what I did and it took me the same amount of time that it would've to only run the rca to your amp...the speaker wires and rca cable can fit in the kick panel there is massive room.... :lol:
Old 10-03-2003, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by mypursuit
Actually the easiest way it to tap in to the adapter and just run the wires to the amp...that way you are not messing with the factory stuff...this is what I did and it took me the same amount of time that it would've to only run the rca to your amp...the speaker wires and rca cable can fit in the kick panel there is massive room....
can you specify a little more. what do you mean tap into the adapter?

thnx
Old 10-03-2003, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: back speaker wires....where?

Originally Posted by shaefner
I'm gonna install my amp under the seat (one of the front seats, probably the passenger side). I figure the easiest way to power the rear speakers from the amp is to tap into the factory wires on their way to the back of the car. So, where are they routed, anyone know?

Thanks,

Scott
They are probably in the drivers molding sill along with all the other wires giong to the back...the wire should be twisted together, if i remember correctly (and if they havent changed it on me) the

right speaker should be red and white (red being positive) and
the left speaker should be black and yellow (black being positive.)
Old 10-03-2003, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

can you specify a little more. what do you mean tap into the adapter?
I think mypursuit means to wire it off of the the plug in the dash where you hook up your radio. This is a great idea, and I never thought of that. That's exactly what I'm gonna do.

Scott
Old 10-03-2003, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Another idea..If you dont want to cut into the factory wiring, go to best buy and get a toyota harness and a reverse harness and make your own Y adapter without splicing into any factory wiring...

The part numbers are Metra 70-1761 and 71-1761.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the wiring harness....ding ding ding
thats what I meant. I used the shrinking solder connecters to tie everything into the harness ran the extra speaker wires and rca to the amp via the passanger side moulding (fit with no problem, there is a center channel thingy that they all fit into perfectly) and they ran it under the seat/carpet to the little vent thingy under the seat. No cutting the carpet or anything...looks clean and tidy... :o
Old 10-03-2003, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

that channel thing is a vent for the AC, are you sure it's a good idea?
Old 10-03-2003, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the center channel thingy is under the side kick panel thingy....when you step out of the Xb. Not the ac...unless you are playing some really "cool" tunes. Sorry I had to put that in there...get it "cool" a/c...nevermind.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

thanks i'll try the wiring tomorrow, by any chance you have instructions on accessing the stock radio?
Old 10-04-2003, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

supa dupa easy. Remove the ac and hot cold *****. there are two screws..take remove em. Then grab the ac vents...and pull the whole thing pops off really easy...piece of pie
Old 10-08-2003, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member

Another idea..If you dont want to cut into the factory wiring, go to best buy and get a toyota harness and a reverse harness and make your own Y adapter without splicing into any factory wiring...

I just got a single harness, and plugged it into the factory plug. Then I spliced the rear speaker wires onto my harness, and ran them down to the amp alongside the RCA cables. So, no cutting factory wires, and easy...thanks again for the suggestion. I don't see why you would need a reverse harness....just the regular one seems to be enough.

Scott
Old 10-08-2003, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by shaefner

I just got a single harness, and plugged it into the factory plug. Then I spliced the rear speaker wires onto my harness, and ran them down to the amp alongside the RCA cables. So, no cutting factory wires, and easy...thanks again for the suggestion. I don't see why you would need a reverse harness....just the regular one seems to be enough.

Scott
You must of been using a aftermarket deck..The reverse harness is if you have a factory deck and you want to put high level inputs into the amplifier or run the high level into a line level converter.