Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Car Alarm and Remote Unlock - Keeps going off!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member

Default Car Alarm and Remote Unlock - Keeps going off!

About 4 weeks ago my 2006 Scion Xb started setting the alarm off when I press unlock the doors on the remote. At first I thought I was accidently pressing the panic button but that is clearly not the case. It happens about 25-30% of the time. I installed new batteries, etc...Press the unlock the doors button and the car alarm goes off?

Anyone else experience this issue? What was the fix? Thanks!
Old 10-01-2010, 06:04 PM

Hi zoiks,

Did you ever get this issue resolved?

I am having the exact same issue in my 05 XB with the factory alarm. When I unlock the car with the fob, the alarm goes off. It used to just happen occasionally and now happens every time. I tried putting a new battery in the fob, but that didn't change anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-01-2010, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check the car 12 volt starter battery and make sure the connections to the battery terminals are clean and tight. It is possible that there is a voltage sag when the door locks are activated. You might also test the door locks with the door lock/unlock button instead of the remote.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:27 PM

OK, I will check the battery. I am able to unlock the car with the key without the alarm going off, so I don't think it's a malfunction with the door lock itself.

Thank you very much and if you think of anything else, please let me know.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The power for the door locks goes through the same fuse as the alarm etc so a bad battery connection would cause voltage/power drop in the alarm circuit when the solinoids in the door locks are activated and maybe setting the alarm off. So if the door lock/unlock button on the door does it also then you could have a bad connection in the power circuit and nothing wrong with the alarm circuitry.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I changed the car battery and it's still happening. The alarm does NOT go off when I use the key to unlock it. I'm starting to think that it's just the alarm that's gone bad and it's time for a replacement.

I'm open to any other suggestions!

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DO you have another remote? Try it with in case you got the one you were using wet and it may have a short in the button contacts triggering the panic button when you lock/unlock.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:45 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your help. I tried changing my car battery, remote batteries, used different remotes, reduced sensitivity on the microphone on the alarm and in the end, we figured that it must be the alarm module itself that went bad. The only solution we had was to disengage the factory alarm and replace it with a new alarm so I could keep the functionality of the keyless entry and horn.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-10-2010, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check to see if you have water that got into your fuse box.

Thats what caused mine to do the same thing.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member

I'll have to check this same list. It was setting off the alarm about 50% of the time and then it just stopped. It hasn't done it for a few months and just last week it did it twice. It hasn't done it since. I'm going to check the battery connections but the last time I looked they were clean.

So it's still a mystery to me. All the remote key batteries are brand new. I hope someone solves this problem and passes on the solution.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zoiks
I'll have to check this same list. It was setting off the alarm about 50% of the time and then it just stopped. It hasn't done it for a few months and just last week it did it twice. It hasn't done it since. I'm going to check the battery connections but the last time I looked they were clean.

So it's still a mystery to me. All the remote key batteries are brand new. I hope someone solves this problem and passes on the solution.
You get her fixed yet?
You might also look at the drivers side door lock actuator , Took mine apart cause water got in her and started acting up. problem solved for me.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member

The issue is still there. I live in Indiana and I haven't seen rain in months! The car is stored inside so if it's moisture it's condensation based moisture. It's doing it again now. Maybe 2-3 times out of 50 door openings. I swear, it must have an evil mind. It seems to always set the alarm off at the worst possible times. I had to head out to an early mtg yesterday at 5:30 am. I open the garage door, hit the unlock button and the alarm goes off. The neighbors must love me.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might also look at the drivers side door lock actuator , Took mine apart cause water got in her and started acting up. problem solved for me.
And they don't need water in em , they just go bad.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm a long time member. even long enough to be one of the few that won the trip to Miami for the unveiling of the 06 model years..

with that aside i'm having this exact same problem. I do electrical on fire trucks, command vehicles and everything else but i'm just chasing my tail on this.. its inconsistent on a good day but happens more frequently than before.. i even pulled my horn relay so my neighbors can sleep.. what were everybody's findings?? .. i'll check my door actuator.. but i live in So. California and its been dry all summer and still is to date
Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 PM

alright Im new to these forums so if im in the wrong place... sorry. Im having a similar problem but with a strange twist. my 06 XA's alarm went off for no reason. the big twist is I didnt even know it had an alarm system!! when I bought it in 07 there was no Remote Keyless Entry mentioned, I didnt get any special keys or fobs. it does have electronic locks but as far as I was aware nothing else.. there seems to be some confusion about these cars coming with a system or not. I've tried one method of seeing if it has one (insert key, take out, insert key, open door, close door etc....) and according to that it doesnt have a RKI system but if not what was happening when the horn starting honking, just like a panic alarm? anyone else have this prob?
Old 04-15-2014, 03:38 PM

Default Alarm not arming with remote

I had a similar problem last year where locking the doors with the remote would not arm the factory alarm - after some diagnosing, I ordered and replaced the front drivers door lock solenoid, and the problem was gone.

I am now experiencing the same problem again: remote will lock/unlock the doors but WILL NOT ARM the factory alarm - key in door will lock/unlock arm/disarm alarm, manual lock button will lock/arm alarm, and power lock button will lock/unlock arm/disarm, but remote will not arm alarm. If I press the lock button on the remote twice quickly, the alarm LED will flash once, then stay off, but alarm will not arm. The remote was arming the alarm up until this past Saturday.

I do know that some of the issues can be related to the solenoid levers not being seated properly into the locking mechanism control arms. I haven't had a chance to pull the door panel off and inspect the solenoid more closely, hopefully this weekend.

Anyone with any experience with this?
Old 04-21-2014, 04:13 PM

Default Alarm not arming with remote

Okay, so it turns out there's nothing wrong with my factory alarm. I had recently installed some dual switching white/amber LED light strips in the front under my headlights, and the issue is with running both the white and the amber LEDs at the same time - seems to be something with the switching electronics in the LED strip itself, as I run 2 red LED strips in the back tied into my rear turn signal wiring and it does NOT affect my alarm arming properly.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
SL Member

Ok maybe you guys can help me out. I have a 2006 xB and I gave her a deep cleaning today. After I got finished I got in the car to pull back into the driveway and it is acting like I have an alarm system when I do not!!

It beeps when I press the unlock on my fob. Locks the doors when turning on the car. Unlocks when in park and the dome light come on when the keys are taken out. Then beeps when I lock it.

I am completely perplexed. I checked my battery connections and they seem to be clean and good.

Just baffled right now...
Old 02-19-2015, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member

Just an update. I finally replaced the drivers side door actuator that has been going bad. It would stick occasionally. It's been several weeks since I replaced it and the car alarm has not gone off when unlocking the doors yet . I know some folks commented that the failing door actuator might be triggering the car alarm. Right now, it looks like changing the actuator also fixed the random alarm when opening the door. I'll give it a few more weeks and update again.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Might have a bad solder spot

Quick Reply: Car Alarm and Remote Unlock - Keeps going off!