Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

How to thoroughly gut and eDead your xB...13 MEG of images

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Only one? ;)
Old 05-18-2007, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Regarding taking out the rear seat backs; can I just unscrew the L-bracket attached to the seats instead of the "bolts of death"?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh man! You just saved my @ss! I dropped the RPM dial inside my wife’s XB dash when changing the color of the LED's. No one sells just the dial, only the cluster. I was freaking not knowing how to tear into this thing and find it before she gets back from mothers house this weekend. (That's right, she does not know I changed her LED color, was going to be a surprise) Thanks gang!
Old 08-05-2007, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bBonVolks

You can never have too many pics!! I just started to sound deaden my xB. Thanks for the writeup!

Now that i think about it...i actually started with a part that wasnt in the how-to. lol But that tinny noise on the roof drove me crazy in the rain...not a problem anymore
How did you get the other pillers off with the seatbelt array?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

how do i get the front door speakers out. they arent put in with screws. its like a screw sized pin with a hole in it???
Old 11-06-2007, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member

Your post was a great help. I had to replace a mirror after a misshap and you gave me what I needed to know to pull the door panel

Thanks
Old 11-06-2007, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish some one would do this same thing with the xA
Old 11-11-2007, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

nice thanks 4 the info. i need to do this to.vibration is real bad
Old 12-17-2007, 08:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just wondering... how much weight has this added? or for just an example or average, how much weight would a full deadening job add on the xB?
Old 01-14-2008, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well this write up has helped me a bit. the "bolts of hell" that are mounted on the sides that connect to the back-rest part of the seat were a pain. i was crankin on it and crankin on it, wouldn't move so i said to my self "ok, lets take a bit easy, don't know if you're going to damage something". so i checked this thread and saw that it's a tough bugger, so i grabbed my wrench and a one hand sledge and pounded on it lke an impact gun, worked like a charm.

also, if you are going to take the rear out for anything. you don't need to take the whole back rest out all in one. it's a piece togethere. just take the cussion out, fold the back-rests down and take out the two far out plastic pins on each side nearest to the bottum corners near the panel siding. there you can de-bolt each side of the back rest from the suport bar, THEN de-bolt the suport bar and THEN go for the pain the ___ bolts that are on the sides. this makes carrieing a 100lb backrest out to carrieing 30lb pieces out, so i'd recommend this and take it easy on your back.

i had to take a look on my right rear side. there was this wierd rubbing noise... sounded like bushings and joints that havn't been lubed properly or not lubed at all but it sounded like it was comming from the metal a few inches below the right side cargo window, as if it was either the coil spring or the strut. thankfuly, it wasn't either of these. i tore down the whole thing, checked everything i could from wires to suspension to even possible spot weld cracks and found nothing. i put the whole thing back togethere and took it for a good spin... normaly it would make that horrible noise from normal driving so if my good run didn't do anything, then i think it was just the paneling rubbing somewhere and i must have got rid of what ever was rubbing cause it's just as it was when i baught it.

again, thanks for the write-up! helped me deffinently. pulling the paneling is alot easier then i thought it would be. good ol'Toyota, everything just pops togethere
Old 02-26-2008, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I need to do this
Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Winter

also, if you are going to take the rear out for anything. you don't need to take the whole back rest out all in one. it's a piece togethere. just take the cussion out, fold the back-rests down and take out the two far out plastic pins on each side nearest to the bottum corners near the panel siding. there you can de-bolt each side of the back rest from the suport bar, THEN de-bolt the suport bar and THEN go for the pain the butt bolts that are on the sides. this makes carrieing a 100lb backrest out to carrieing 30lb pieces out, so i'd recommend this and take it easy on your back.
That's what I ended up doing. Once you're removed the 2 backrest pieces, the bolts on the end of the bar are completely accessable
Old 03-02-2008, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how tough was it for you to remove those pins on the back? i'm doing some exterior painting and i'd like to do the little hanle cover on the hatch but it seems i need to go through the inside of the hatch to get it off.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those yellow foam pieces on the door panel: What are they for? Do they protrude a lot into the holes in the door? I want to take off the vapor barrier and cover those holes with plexiglass to seal it up and make the door more effective as an enclosure. Will I have to shave them down, and what would happen if I removed them?
Old 11-26-2008, 07:10 AM

If I'm to add in Ensolite or some Foam into the Door Panel.
How should it be added?

Would it in the Door Frame, or in between with PVC and the Door itself?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bumping this. Looking for some updated info.

I was on the ED site and the sound deadening stuff is not the same thickness as used.

I'd like to know how much material is needed now, compared to what was used. How much more for the roof is needed, too.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 AM

Default tools

i see that you listed what you installed. but i didnt see what tools you used to remove everything. can u post a list of them?
Old 06-02-2009, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Re: tools

Originally Posted by biohazard_box
i see that you listed what you installed. but i didnt see what tools you used to remove everything. can u post a list of them?
Screw drivers, drill, panel popper tool, set of metric sockets w/ratchet. It really doesn't take much more than that.

Oh yeah, for a single layer covering the entire box takes roughly 114 sq. ft. depending on how thorough you are with the material. Doesn't matter what the thickness of the matting is when it's just a single layer.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got 125 sq/ft in mine.

Did not do the roof, but the front doors are (3) panel surfaces and the rear doors are (2) panel surfaces). Did entire floor, firewall, inside the hatch and into the rear quarter panels as far as I could reach. Also, around the windows-A/B/C pillars.

Robert
Old 07-07-2009, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How many sq/ft should I get. I'm in Canada, shipping will take a while, better get more then enough first time, then have car stripped for a long long time.
2 layer on all 4 doors and the whole rest of car, but should I slap on 2 layers on the rest or is it overkill and stick with 1 ?
Also how about roof, is it important ?

Quick Reply: How to thoroughly gut and eDead your xB...13 MEG of images