Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

I used rear xb speakers as a spacer for 6.5"

Old 02-03-2017, 05:43 AM

Default I used rear xb speakers as a spacer for 6.5"

I read I could buy spacers but I got a good deal on some new Sony x plods and couldn't wait to listen to them. I actually don't mind the factory system exceat for the rear speakers. First I followed instructions here on how to access the speakers and removed them.

I then gutted the factory speakers but saved the connector and wires that attach to the cone by carefully tearing cone off wires

carefully broke tabs holding the cone wires so I could begin cutting the inner cone frame out with a hacksaw blade

I test fit the Sony speakers but the sony connector would not clear my macgyvered spacer

So I notched the newly made spacer and the sony fit flush

I did the same with the other speaker and prepared them for mounting on the spacer.

Scraped the foam off the speaker side, applied silicone adhesive to bond the speaker to the spacer then let sit overnight indoors.

after the adhesive set next day I attached the wires to the speaker using solder less connectors.
I was too lazy to look for my soldering kit. I did use shrink heat tubing though

After this just bolt them in the factory method with the 3 factory bolts and connect the factory wire connector

I had to edit out a few pictures due to the board limit.

Note: these sonys are too inefficient for bass response. Better than the factory but if I do it again I'll use more efficient, lower watt speakers with the factory radio. Also the center raised cone frame touches the back of the grill so its better to use thinner full range cone drivers. But the tweeter housing touching the grill doesn't seem to affect the sound. Definitely better midrange and highs.

Last edited by Lou06xb; 02-04-2017 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Correcting typos
Old 02-04-2017, 02:45 AM

Couple years ago I replaced my 2000 Chevy truck door busted speakers this way. The factory speakers snaps on and off the door frame. The replacement speakers had larger deaper magnets so I needed a spacer. I gutted the factory speaker, glued new speaker on the old speaker frame and snapped it back in the door. Silicone adhesive works wonders , lol.

Hmmm, I have some new 1" tweeters I've had in my spare parts box for a few years. I wonder how they would sound in the dash.

Search this Thread