Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

New xB owner. Power lock issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member

Default New xB owner. Power lock issues.

Hi all.

It seems the lock actuators go out on these. However, it looks like most people just have an issue with the driver's door, or one door.

My 05 xB has the both front doors, and the passenger rear door not unlocking with the button, or the key fob. The Driver's rear door and hatch will lock and unlock with the fob and button.

It looks like you can see some of the "inoperable" locks moving a hair when you push buttons, but they don't lock or unlock.

I have to do those doors manually.

Are three actuators possibly bad, or is there another issue I'm not finding in my searches?

Thanks

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-14-2020 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-15-2014, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome. It is possible all three are bad if the previous owner never fixed any of them. All three going out at the exact same time? Not so much.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I've had my passenger front door actuator out for almost 2 years now! Haven't had time to replace it and go figure, I work on cars for a living!
Old 08-21-2014, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by FlintMica17
Welcome. It is possible all three are bad if the previous owner never fixed any of them. All three going out at the exact same time? Not so much.
They were out when I bought the car, so who knows how long they've been out for. I never asked the owner how long they were out for, because I really didn't care.

But lately, I have found myself moving more things and people in my xB, so it would be nice to not have to say "Yeah, I have power locks, but...."

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-14-2020 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-21-2014, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member

I might also add that I can't unlock those doors with luck buttons inside the car.

The only doors that lock or unlock by remote or button are the driver's side rear door, and the lift gate. The other three must be manually pulled up or down with the lock tab.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member

Bump.

Anyone?
Old 09-03-2014, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member

I have a similar issue as you, my drivers door only works with the key and the fob only works on the passenger door and the hatch. I'm going to go in in a few weeks and replace all of the actuators. If I do it before this thread dies I'll post in here. If not I'll just post in another section about my findings (if the problem isn't the actuators).

I also have an issue with power windows on really hot days where the passenger side window won't roll up for a few minutes.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2005 Front Right Power Lock Actuator

Hi,

Just replaced my front right actuator today.... Got the part off ebay....

Had previously done both rear doors with universal ones off ebay couple years back.

It took a bit more effort today replacing the front passenger's unit....than I had anticipated, but you have to remove the three torx screws and two 10mm hex bolts from the door frame.

Then you have to push the soft/ flexible window rail up out of the way and then a couple small screws to release the actuator unit.... Finally got it put back together....

And Yes, it is possible for all these actuators to fail....
Old 04-14-2020, 07:59 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by sammydad1
It took a bit more effort today replacing the front passenger's unit....than I had anticipated, but you have to remove the three torx screws and two 10mm hex bolts from the door frame.
Then you have to push the soft/ flexible window rail up out of the way and then a couple small screws to release the actuator unit.... Finally got it put back together....
Good, more clues on how to do it.

My driver's is very iffy. It screws up in cold temps but usually works in warm. The front passenger, likewise, but it works less often. The passenger rear rarely works, and when it does, the window fails to lower. The only reliable one is the driver's side rear. I managed to find a driver's and a passenger rear actuator online for $10 and $6, but the passenger front has eluded me and there's no way I'm paying a dealer price for that piece of crap. I've had the car for 12 years now and it's really been a great car. Aside from the cruise control, dealer installed at the previous owner's request, which is crummy but works, everything else has been very reliable and functions properly. Too bad Toyota didn't see fit to make better parts available for the door locks even after the fact (to the best of my knowledge they didn't, that is).

Hope to receive the two actuators in a few days!