Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Pioneer displays ERROR 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member

Default Pioneer displays ERROR 4

A couple of months ago, I kept getting that ERROR 4 message whenever I tried to load, unload, or even change a CD (I have the 6-discs Pioneer unit). So, I took it to the dealer, and they said it was a defective unit, so they changed it with a brand new one. It's been like 2 months since then, and yesterday, I tried to load a CD and I got that same error message again!!! And then there's nothing you can do about it, I have to listen to the radio, go to work, and by lunch time, it works again. Has anybody had the same problem???
Old 10-19-2005, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah it's been reported a couple of times.. i went through a couple of single disc headunits as well for another problem (wouldn't play cd's but no error number)..

go back to the dealer (obviously) and have them give you another one.. this is a common problem with the 6-disc and i can see why 2006 doesn't have them anymore.. sorry to say..
Old 10-19-2005, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or, you can just turn your car off and then back on. Mine does it all the time. The dealer said I would have to BUY another deck. So, I just live with it for now.

As soon as it says Error 4 I just restart my car and it works.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BUY another deck? it's covered under warranty, that's bull.. if it goes bad under warranty, guess what? it's covered and it's replaced for free.. sounds like you should find a better dealership..
Old 10-19-2005, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or get a new one installed at dealer, sell it, and use the money toward a better aftermarket headunit. you won't regret it.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member

yeah, I used to do that restart-the-car thing after the ERROR 4 message, but now even that won't fix it. It's like it needs to "rest" for a couple of hours But yeah, I'll take it to the dealer again while it's on warranty... have I mentioned how much this sucks, by the way?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey zozio.. yeah it sure does SUCK! i agree with you.. a lot of people praise pioneer, but this is why I NEVER bought a pioneer product, never thought they were that good of quality.. but hey it's under warranty and free... at least its free
Old 11-06-2005, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member

i was getting this and i turned off my car and now its error 3
Old 11-07-2005, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

How long have you all been having this problem?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member

well, I got my scion like a year ago, and this problem started something like... maybe 2 or 3 months after that... then I had the headunit replaced with a new one (same pioneer unit, under warranty), and a month after that the problem started again... now I am going to have the headunit replaced again, and from what I've read in these posts, I guess I'll have like 2 months of miserable happiness until I get the Error 4 message again. yep, i feel like a loser...
Old 11-16-2005, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I had the same problem with my pioneer so i took it back & they changed it, gave me a new one and assured me it would not happen again yeah right this one is doing the same thing I'm saving my pennies for a Kenwood ddx 7015 no more pioneer crap.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member

hey that kenwood ddx 7015 looks nice...
thanks for the info!! ...but it's kinda pricey for me... I don't think I need it to play DVDs... I just need it to be able to play MP3 CDs... but I was also thinking, instead of spending money on another deck unit, maybe I can get an adapter for my mp3 player, then I don't have to bother with the CDs.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:24 AM
5 Year Member

Default Score!!!!

Just got the good Error 4 this evening. Hope I can get the cd back in the morning, I really wanted to listen to Nana M. on the way home from school.

At least it happened when the car was ready to be serviced anyway.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

My wife's xA had this problem, took it to the dealership & they ordered another one.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea booo ive been through almost every error code wit the damn 6 disk...my dealer says its the type if cd's im using....i told them BULLSH*T and now im headin over to another dealer...it is underwarrenty and will be replaced...im not goin aftermarket cuz im tryin on keeping that as the only OEM product in the car...some type of classiness to my customization...lol
Old 01-28-2010, 05:56 PM

Question Error 4

I'm new here and really appreciate all your posts. My hubby and I bought our XB's the same day in 04. My Hot Lava came with the 6 disc factory model and has been slowly dying for the past year. I guess I got more use out of it then most but it still sucks. Error 4 and CD #5 of a great book stuck in there now! My hubby never uses his and therefore never has had a problem. Maybe I'll be brave and try to swap them out.
Do you think a lay person can swap out the factory units? I can't afford to have a dealer do it!
Thanks for any advice!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Default Pioneer swap out

a regular Joe can swap out the radios but very careful wen u take apart the dash and the radio itself....take pictures of everything for refference. check this site for a step by step DIY for taking this part of your dash apart. check out my link below at car domain it will show the center dash panel removed while i was adding vent leds.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:39 PM

Default Thanks!

Wonderful - thanks for the quick reply!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:24 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

a screwdriver and a 10mm socket can take apart a large percentage of the car apart... just to keep in mind.

they're built to be modded... so things come apart easily.