Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Resetting the check engine light

Old 07-21-2004, 12:30 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Resetting the check engine light

Contributed by eric m.

After you've driven your Scion for a few thousand miles, you will see a "maintenance required" orange light flash for a few seconds in the center display console every time you start your car. Do not be alarmed. this is just a reminder to have your oil changed. If you change your own oil, you can reset the light. here is how:
1. Turn on the ignition and make sure it is on your odometer display, not the trip display.
2. Turn off your ignition. Hold down the trip meter reset button and turn the ignition on. Keep the button pushed in.
3. The maintenance required light will flash for a few seconds. when it turns off, let go of the reset button.

The the display will change for 1 second and go back to the mileage. That's it.

-----

Contributed by Scott17

In case you didn't know and would like to use this function, when you hold the odometer reset **** and turn on the ignition, 5 bars in the odometer display flash and then sequentially go out. Each of these bars represents 1k miles. If you want to set the light to come on in 3k miles, let go of the reset **** with 2 bars remaining. 4k with 1 bar remaining and so on. Each bar that goes out will be 1k miles before the light comes on.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Q?

I did my oil change about 300 miles ago. Did not reset the maintenance light just because I forgot about it. Can the dealer tell when the light has been reset?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Q?

Originally Posted by tcm_xB
I did my oil change about 300 miles ago. Did not reset the maintenance light just because I forgot about it. Can the dealer tell when the light has been reset?
You can reset the light anytime and it will blink again in another 5k miles.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

i change my oil at 5,000 mi. tha light will come on every 7500mi reset it as per scions instuctions
Old 10-11-2004, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

excuse me, per erics instruction,sorry eric
Old 01-11-2005, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Scott17
Hey guys, Does everyone know how to reset the oil change light on your car? If not, shame on you and RTFM. Now that we are up to speed, one thing that is not in TFM is that the light can be set for various mileages. I won't offer a suggestion on how often you should change your oil, but when you hold the odometer reset **** and turn on the ignition, 5 bars in the odometer display flash and then sequentially go out. Each of these bars represents 1k miles. If you want to set the light to come on in 3k miles, let go of the reset **** with 2 bars remaining. 4k with 1 bar remaining and so on....Each bar that goes out will be 1k miles before the light comes on. In case you didn't know and would like to use this function.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

now will this reset the mil or just for the oil?
Old 01-14-2005, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
now will this reset the mil or just for the oil?
reset the mil? the mileage? Definitely not. It will just reset the oil change meter...
Old 01-14-2005, 09:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

no not mileage . mil stands for malfunction indicator lamp. im not talkin bout the maint required light i mean the check engine lights. seperate than the oil change needed light.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Oh, sorry. I didn't know what mil stood for. This method won't reset the CEL. If you don't have a code reader, you can reset the mil by resetting the ECU via unplugging the battery or unplugging the EFI fuse in the main fuse box in the engine bay. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33062
Old 01-14-2005, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

aww the ecu fuse in the engine bay lol i tried doin the lil ecu fuse in the interior fuse box and it didnt reset so i had to remove the neg batt , damn it i had a pain re-settin my stereo lol
Old 01-17-2005, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default cool.

This is good simple info.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In case you didn't know and would like to use this function, when you hold the odometer reset **** and turn on the ignition, 5 bars in the odometer display flash and then sequentially go out. Each of these bars represents 1k miles. If you want to set the light to come on in 3k miles, let go of the reset **** with 2 bars remaining. 4k with 1 bar remaining and so on. Each bar that goes out will be 1k miles before the light comes on.

I posted this to another forum and a fellow claimed he attempted it and it reset his ODO. Was upset as he is on a lease and ODO went to a higher figure. Someone else suggested that his ODO reset to kilometers. So perhaps I should keep my nose out of things until I have had personal experience of a procedure.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[/quote]In case you didn't know and would like to use this function, when you hold the odometer reset **** and turn on the ignition, 5 bars in the odometer display flash and then sequentially go out. Each of these bars represents 1k miles. If you want to set the light to come on in 3k miles, let go of the reset **** with 2 bars remaining. 4k with 1 bar remaining and so on. Each bar that goes out will be 1k miles before the light comes on.[quote]

I posted this to another forum and a fellow claimed he attempted it and it reset his ODO. Was upset as he is on a lease and ODO went to a higher figure. Someone else suggested that his ODO reset to kilometers. So perhaps I should keep my nose out of things until I have had personal experience of a procedure.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I set mine to 3000 and I have no problems or issues. Now all I have to do is wait till my odo gets to 8625. I set mine so it starts flashing about one weeks worth of nomal commuting to work, that way I can plan to have it done that week.

Jack
Old 04-20-2005, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks, I just got my oil changed and the light keeps on bugging me.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

nice post, i'd be scraching my head wondering where the *** the light came from after the first oil change ; ;

thanks
Old 07-24-2005, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW! I'm not going to have to spend $50 for some piece of crap chip/tool and dig under the hood. Thanks, guys. Thanks, Scion.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikochu
Oh, sorry. I didn't know what mil stood for. This method won't reset the CEL. If you don't have a code reader, you can reset the mil by resetting the ECU via unplugging the battery or unplugging the EFI fuse in the main fuse box in the engine bay. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33062
Awesome info thanks!
Old 08-14-2005, 09:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

my cousin's tC passed 5k and the maintainance light just came on today. when her tC passed 3k, she went to the dealers to change the oil for her. shouldn't the dealers reset the maintainance light at that time? or did they forgot?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Resetting the check engine light