Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Resetting the check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great thread.. i gotta make this a favorite.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry but just to clearify for me..... the milage between service in INCREASED as the lines go out...... 1K when the first goes out...2K with the second one going out ....etc, Is this right?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great to know, thanks.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member

ive been wondering why my light was on since i just did a oil change .. .but now .. thanks to you... its off ... no more nuisance light
Old 04-20-2006, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow am I glad that I found this thread as I actually already scheduled maint for the 5k checkup. Just reset the annoying light and actually looked in the manual to see what they would have done at 5k, and its basically rotating the tires. I would have been pretty ____ed if I would have had to spend like 50 bucs on letting them rotate my tires for me when I can do that all myself at my uncles shop, mostly just wanted the annoying light off. looks like they will have one less appointment tomorrow, thanks a ton! ;)
Old 01-04-2007, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, I just had a dealership oil change a month ago and this light is poppin up. Only 1k miles driven, too... he must've forgotten to reset it. Thanks for the info!!
Old 02-24-2007, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default does it recognize the new mileage

qhen you change your oil does it recognize the new mileage that you have to get it done at or no.....another thing what kind of oil should i be using if dealer recommends changing your oil every 5000 miles
Old 02-24-2007, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

after you change your oil you have to reset the light. It's a process of fiddling with the ignition switch and odometer button and takes a few seconds. at that point, i'm pretty sure it will remind you just prior to the next 5k miles or so.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member

2 Questions about the instructions

After you've driven your Scion for a few thousand miles, you will see a "maintenance required" orange light flash for a few seconds in the center display console every time you start your car. Do not be alarmed. this is just a reminder to have your oil changed. If you change your own oil, you can reset the light. here is how:
1. Turn on the ignition and make sure it is on your odometer display, not the trip display.
2. Turn off your ignition. Hold down the trip meter reset button and turn the ignition on. Keep the button pushed in.
3. The maintenance required light will flash for a few seconds. when it turns off, let go of the reset button.
Does anyone know what happens if you do it while a trip meter is displayed?

In case you didn't know and would like to use this function, when you hold the odometer reset **** and turn on the ignition, 5 bars in the odometer display flash and then sequentially go out. Each of these bars represents 1k miles. If you want to set the light to come on in 3k miles, let go of the reset **** with 2 bars remaining. 4k with 1 bar remaining and so on. Each bar that goes out will be 1k miles before the light comes on.
When I let go with 2 bars remaining, I don't get the "000000" flashing across the display, and the maintenance required light still blinks. It's basically as if I cancelled the process. Do I have to do the process again AFTER I reset the light (by holding the reset **** until all 5 bars disappear)?
Old 05-13-2007, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by styill
When I let go with 2 bars remaining, I don't get the "000000" flashing across the display, and the maintenance required light still blinks. It's basically as if I cancelled the process. Do I have to do the process again AFTER I reset the light (by holding the reset **** until all 5 bars disappear)?
I have that exact same question. I had my dealer change mine at 5k, then I did it myself at 8.2k and i set the ODO to remind me at 11.2k, its currently 9.6k and its telling me to chg. the oil...I'm wondering if this doesn't work on 07, or on tC in general, or just doesn't work period b/c the service department at dealer near me doesnt know about this or how to do that, they say it just does 5k increments and I'm guessing thats why we wait til it say 000000.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

funny story...i installed a CAI and the next day it rained, i drove to work and worked, and when i got turned on my box for the drive home i noticed this and immediately thought it was something to do with the CAI, i was really releived to find out that it is just a stupid oil change meter :-)
Old 09-29-2007, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB626
my cousin's tC passed 5k and the maintainance light just came on today. when her tC passed 3k, she went to the dealers to change the oil for her. shouldn't the dealers reset the maintainance light at that time? or did they forgot?
To tell you the truth i dont think a lot of these dealers even know about this, my dealer said it would eventually just go away and he also said if it bothers me to "just put some electrical tape over it"...they dont even sign off on my maintenance book that i leave on the front seat for them in plain view...i hate stealerships!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

thanx for the info....that really works when i do the work myself.....thanx keep up the good work
Old 01-20-2008, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shouldn't this be a sticky? I always have to search for this.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member

This post has the reset for all the Scion tC's:

http://oilresetpro.com/how-to-reset-...t-on-scion-tc/

They also have a free app for your phone that has every vehicle reset procedure on it. This app is super helpful if you are tech like my self doing oil changes everyday. Nice to have all the procedures at my finger tips when I need them in a hurry.