Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...
View Poll Results: Scion Pioneer audio unit: STANDARD or OPTIONAL?
STANDARD - There should be a default audio unit.
61.22%
OPTIONAL - I want to be able to choose or buy my own.
38.78%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Scion Pioneer audio unit: STANDARD or OPTIONAL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member

Default Scion Pioneer audio unit: STANDARD or OPTIONAL?

If you pick OPTIONAL, you'll receive your vehicle without a head unit and the price of the vehicle will be lower.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldn't mind having the option of no radio since you can get a nicer one for the price they charge for the standard one.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

[quote]If you pick OPTIONAL, you'll receive your vehicle without a head unit and the price of the vehicle will be lower.

Is this true, cuz they just say the standard pioneer unit is $0. That sucks cuz i just got a Kenwood unit 2 days ago and couldv'e save $250. Why don't they tell people they can get it without a head unit for cheaper.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

he is saying that they will change the policy in the future. yeah, i think that's cool. take like $200 off or whatever and not include the radio.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Years ago you could get a VW without a radio, in which case the radio hole was closed off by a neat little plate. These days, the radio block-off plates are one of the rarest VW items around!

At the cost of the electronics these days, I think that the real cost to Scion for the audio unit is probably about $50 or so, probably less than the labor of installing all the wiring and speakers. Assuming that this is omitted from the no-radio cars, they would then have to produce two different versions which would increase manufacturing costs for the entire car. In the end there would be little difference in price.

Honda does have a "stripper" version of the Element, without radio or AC, but I've never seen one of these in person. I think that it's just a virtual construct that allows them to advertise a low base price for the vehicle. They probably built a few, at greater expense than the regular run, but they are long gone now.

George
Old 09-06-2003, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

isn't the main criticism of the STi that it has no radio? but then again that is almost twice the price of the scions
Old 09-06-2003, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by avus
isn't the main criticism of the STi that it has no radio? but then again that is almost twice the price of the scions
maybe for idiots who aren't into subarus. the real subaru people know they can get one used on nasioc (subaru club) for $200 or less. so it's not even an issue. add some cheap speakers and you're set since it's already prewired. but once you hear the exhaust note of that car, you're not even going to want a radio.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

agreed
it seems like a pattern of most read car mags to focus on what the car lacks, talk about it for a page and a half and then mention handling/acceleration/braking
Old 09-07-2003, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i like having a default radio, Free, but i also like to be able to upgrade the audio system at the dealer and/or get on myself after purchase.....

i got the 6 disc CD Pioneer unit and am pretty happy with its features and sound...

but after looking at DVD pop up displays w/ navigation optional i am pretty tempted to get one of those, but, they cost $2399.00 plus $1700 for the navigational unit!

OUCH!!

i am gonna get a G5 before that!!

but not before i get my xB totally set up to my liking.....

gotta a lot of stuff to think about....
Old 09-23-2003, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am gonna get a G5 before that!!
Mac rocks!
Old 10-04-2003, 02:31 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by George
At the cost of the electronics these days, I think that the real cost to Scion for the audio unit is probably about $50 or so, probably less than the labor of installing all the wiring and speakers. Assuming that this is omitted from the no-radio cars, they would then have to produce two different versions which would increase manufacturing costs for the entire car. In the end there would be little difference in price.
Geez, have you prices the radio at the parts counter, though? I bet it is like $600.00. At least that is how much the Honda stuff seems to run.

They wouldn't have to produce two versions... the car would still be wired for the radio and speakers, they just wouldn't be installed. Just like A/T vs M/T or the color of the car... it is still the same car, just without one part (five, counting speakers) installed. Just make the stereo a dealer accessory like the rest of them. It isn't hard to install!

Darren
Old 10-04-2003, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it's great that the Scion comes with a standard audio unit that is so capable, and in many ways, better than a lot of aftermarket decks. I think that even if it was deleted as a standard item to lower the price of the car, you'd end up saving less money than you'd make if you just removed the deck (like if you were going to put an aftermarket one in anyway) and sold it to another Toyota owner on ebay or something. I think a good compromise is to offer to give it to new car buyers uninstalled in the car, albeit at the same price as if it was installed. That way, if you KNOW you're gonna put another head unit in right away, you can just take that uninstalled stock deck home and toss it up on ebay post haste!
Old 10-07-2003, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

I rather get the fatory radio just in case something goes wrong with the aftermarket radio i bought. At least i'll have a temp radio. And the Stock radio does cost about $600.00!!!! Too much!!!!
Old 10-22-2003, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Years ago you could get a VW without a radio, in which case the radio hole was closed off by a neat little plate. These days, the radio block-off plates are one of the rarest VW items around!
what year vw? cause my 63 has that.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

My brother has a '62 and it had an oldshool radio too. It had ***** and Big push buttons.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member

YO Yanges Your Sh%t is sick......That is the only white i like so far.......The nav would be sweet in your ride...
Old 12-11-2003, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member

I'm upgrading at the dealer, indash dvd with pop up video unit, and two screen for the headrests for $600.00. I can't wait.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by sabegnj
YO Yanges Your Sh%t is sick......That is the only white i like so far.......The nav would be sweet in your ride...
hey Thanks sabegnj!

yeah, i may get a nav unit, but i really do not have a need for a DVD player in my car.....gonna get somethin' else with that dough....
Old 12-11-2003, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by MrWhite
I'm upgrading at the dealer, indash dvd with pop up video unit, and two screen for the headrests for $600.00. I can't wait.
that is a great price! you get all of that for $600? do you know what brand it is? thanks!
Old 12-11-2003, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by yanges
Originally Posted by MrWhite
that is a great price! you get all of that for $600? do you know what brand it is? thanks!
Unfortunatley no I don't, I will definitly post when I take the car into my possesion.