Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Wiring a quad voice coil sub to a 2 channel amp

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wiring a quad voice coil sub to a 2 channel amp

Here is a pic of the subs VC's layout. each are 4 ohm. Whats the best way to wire it to a 2 channel amp that accepts 2 or 4 ohms?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:50 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The amp needs to be bridged. You do not want to wire separate voice coils of a subwoofer to separate channels of an amplifier.
Beyond that, wiring the sub is pretty straightforward, depending on what impedance you are aiming for.
The first thing you need to know is what load the amp will support when bridged. If it will support a 1 ohm mono load, then you can just parallel the coils together. If not, then you can wire two sets of coils in series, then parallel the two series together. Series-Parallel wiring would yield a 4 ohm load.
Parallel-Parallel Wiring

Series-Parallel Wiring
Old 09-11-2008, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya the sub is a MA audio ma1200xl and i tried it like the series-parralel and it works but would a diff way sound better? And its gonna be hooked up to a 1200 watt xplod 2-channel amp. Not the best for the sub but its all i have right
now. ha ha
Old 09-11-2008, 03:25 AM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Clean_XB
Originally Posted by UV7
The amp needs to be bridged. You do not want to wire separate voice coils of a subwoofer to separate channels of an amplifier.
Beyond that, wiring the sub is pretty straightforward, depending on what impedance you are aiming for.
The first thing you need to know is what load the amp will support when bridged. If it will support a 1 ohm mono load, then you can just parallel the coils together. If not, then you can wire two sets of coils in series, then parallel the two series together. Series-Parallel wiring would yield a 4 ohm load.
Parallel-Parallel Wiring

Series-Parallel Wiring
hes using a QUAD voice coil, not DVC, which are pretty rare.

Might I ask what woofer is this?

I would say that you should either bridge a 4 channel amp using 2 sets of coils per bridged channel, or find a mono block subwoofer that has an extremely low load ohm for flexibility....like A hifonics or something of that nature

Wiring a quad coil can be tricky, check this out:
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/189064.html
Wiring a QUAD voice coil woofer is NOT complicated. It is absolutely no different than wiring 2 dual voice coil woofers together, or even 4 single coils for that matter, provided that the intention is to hook them all to a single channel.
This is why I used the diagram above.
You do NOT want to wire these coils separately, whether it is in pairs or individually. You absolutely WILL destroy the woofer! The coils on multi-coil drivers, including the QVC woofer posted, do not move independently. They are intended to allow for multiple wiring options, which can drop the impedance, thereby increasing the power output of the amplifier, but their physical movement is no different than that of a single-coil woofer. Wiring them to separate channels runs serious risk of significant enough variance in signal to cause the coils to fight, or pull in opposite directions, which will damage the woofer VERY quickly.
The MA1200XL QVC has 4 4-ohm coils. 4 coils wired in parallel-parallel will yield a 1 ohm load. This load is, by no means, difficult for today's Class D amplifiers and certainly will NOT require a huge amplifier as the multiple posts from the link above suggest. Most manufacturers offer dual 2-ohm coil woofers, which, when wired in parallel, will yield the same load. 2-ohm DVC setups are EXTREMELY common and haven't posed any difficulties that I've ever experienced.
At the present time, your best bet would be to continue using the 1200w Xplod wired in series parallel until you find a good Class D mono amplifier that will dish out 600-1000w RMS @ 1 ohm. Class D amps are relatively cheap, so this one will not cost you tons of $$$.
Good luck! I hope this info helps you out.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes thank you so much! that is exactly what i was looking for and i set it up as a series-parallel like you said and it works pefect. Now i'll look for a class D amp. ha ha
Old 02-08-2021, 03:03 PM
SL Member

Hi...when you bridge an amp, the amp reads half the ohms. Thats why 2-channel amps that are 2 ohm stable can only be bridged at 4-ohms, cuz the amp actually sees 2 ohms. Get it? That's why he has to have a .5 ohm stable amp either way.

circuit board assembly services

Last edited by LilasCook; 02-26-2021 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

I'm hoping that after 12 1/2 years the OP managed to figure things out...