Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Alignment Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Alignment Question

Ok, i'm looking for the definitive answer to the all important wheel alignment question.

My box is pulling to the right ever so slightly when my wheel is centered while driving. So, i must hold the wheel a little to the left in order for my car to track straight. I've heard this is a pretty common occurence with peoples xB as soon as they get a set of + size rims on it.

Will a wheel alignment fix this issue, and is getting an alignment necessary after the installation of springs and a new set of wheels? I just would like to know if I should really get it done, and if not, I don't wanna spend that extra cash.

I sorta notice a small amount of Toe-Out in the front wheels, but my friend says that it's just an optical illusion since the car is so square-gular to begin with...I dunno, help me out fellas.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member

Any time u get a new set of wheels you should get it properly aligned, it should fix your problem
Old 09-04-2003, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Alignment Question

Originally Posted by JDMxB
Ok, i'm looking for the definitive answer to the all important wheel alignment question.

My box is pulling to the right ever so slightly when my wheel is centered while driving. So, i must hold the wheel a little to the left in order for my car to track straight. I've heard this is a pretty common occurence with peoples xB as soon as they get a set of + size rims on it.

Will a wheel alignment fix this issue, and is getting an alignment necessary after the installation of springs and a new set of wheels? I just would like to know if I should really get it done, and if not, I don't wanna spend that extra cash.

I sorta notice a small amount of Toe-Out in the front wheels, but my friend says that it's just an optical illusion since the car is so square-gular to begin with...I dunno, help me out fellas.
if it is actually pulling, i would get it checked out....

but from what i have seen, most if not all xB's are aligned with wheel slightly off to the left...

see this post:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=737
Old 09-04-2003, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciontology
Any time u get a new set of wheels you should get it properly aligned, it should fix your problem
New wheels should not effect the alignment. However, new springs/shocks will. I've had plenty of cars with aftermarket wheels and have never needed an alignment. However, on the three cars that I've had with aftermarket suspensions installed, I've needed to get the car realigned.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my car had a off centered steering wheel, got it checked at the dealer and they told me it was the alignment, not the steeering wheel. this seems to be common on our cars. my theroy is that when the cars are shipped, they get tied down differently, maybe by the wheels, putting the alignment off a little. anyways, the dealer fixed it free of charge and it perfect now, i've also installed trd struts and springs and some 18's and the car still drives perfectly straight.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

So steering wheel alignment, or four wheel alignment...OR both?!

My steering wheel is off the the left a little bit, but it does indeed drive straight...only when the wheel is in the crooked position though. I may not have noticed the problem when the car was stock...but either way, I'd like it fixed.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my alignment was covered under warantee and the dealer fixed it. it was the wheels they didn't remove the steering wheel.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

What i'm concerned about is taking it to the dealer, and showing them how my steering wheel is off...and have them blaming my wheels or springs on why it's off and sending me off home packing.

Also, I don't want to go to an alignment shop, and give them money only to have the problem not be fixed--and get an answer like, take it to the dealer, thanks for your cash--sorry buddy.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What i'm concerned about is taking it to the dealer, and showing them how my steering wheel is off...and have them blaming my wheels or springs on why it's off and sending me off home packing.

Also, I don't want to go to an alignment shop, and give them money only to have the problem not be fixed--and get an answer like, take it to the dealer, thanks for your cash--sorry buddy.
my suggestion is to get an alignment. you can decide where to get it done, but i believe that it's caused by shipment of the vechicles from port to the dealership. they must tie it down in such a way that it puts the alignement off. remember, our xb's don't has the standard tow hooks to tie the car down, they might tie it down by the tires.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My steering wheel is off the the left a little bit, but it does indeed drive straight...only when the wheel is in the crooked position though. I may not have noticed the problem when the car was stock...but either way, I'd like it fixed.
for mee it was both that were off. i got rims/wheels from the dealer and the car still pulled to the right after a 4 wheel alignment was done. the dealers "master mechanic" fixed this problem but then the steering wheel was off. so finally they fixed my steering wheel. all was free of charge but i had to go back to the dealer many many times. really ____ed mee off but now its fixed!

try getting an alignment and if thats ok and still pulls the dealer should fix your steering wheel because i dont think rims affect a steering wheel being off.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Went to the local alignment shop--they said they didn't have the specs for the car yet, considering it is a new vehicle.

Are there any so cal shops that DO have the specs, or just any places that do good alignment work on our xBs?! I would like them to be as careful as possible as not to damage my rims and stuff like that.

He asked me if it was similar to any other cars...he did have the specs to a 03 Echo...but I didn't feel too safe paying 50 bux to get my car aligned "maybe" within spec.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Anyone?
Old 09-12-2003, 08:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A Toyota/Scion dealership should have the exact official specs for your vehicle, and most of the reputable dealerships should also be able to do a good job on your car and take care of your rims. That's probably your best bet...
Old 12-23-2003, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

is the xB four wheel or two wheel alignment? i called somewhere to ask about the cost of an alignment and was asked that....

thanks!