Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Caliper Anti-Rattle Clips

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 03:12 PM
SL Member

Default Caliper Anti-Rattle Clips

Doing new rotors, pads and hardware.

In the caliper mounting bracket, where the ends of the pads slide (not on the backs of the pads), are stainless steel clips. In the factory service manual they are called "Front Disk Brake Pad Support Plate(s)" and in the various online factory parts listings they are called "Disk Brake Anti-Rattle Clip(s)."

On each bracket the OEM clips are different. Whether you identify the clips as "top" and "bottom," or "front" and "back," or "upper" and "lower," the two clips on each bracket have different profiles and different part numbers. The clips do not appear to have any part number identifications printed/embossed on them.

The part numbers are:
DIsk Brake Anti-rattle Clip (Front) 47716 (4771612070)
DIsk Brake Anti-rattle Clip (Front) 47717 (4771712030)

You can buy all four of the clips as a kit:
DIsk Brake Anti-rattle Clip Set (Front) 04947 (0494747010)

The factory service manual does not identify which clip goes in the top/front/upper position and which clip goes in the bottom/back/lower position.

Does anyone know how to identify which clip goes in which position?

Thanks. Ken

Last edited by k1temki; 10-30-2022 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does the video in post #8 here help any??
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...9/#post4311877

The parts are from the right side and the shim/clip/support mostly shown in the video is the upper/back one.
The brake pad squealer goes on the inside towards the bottom.
Old 10-31-2022, 04:36 PM
SL Member

That helps . . .

I had seen that video but because the clips were already installed in the bracket, I overlooked the usefulness of the video.

But with your suggestion and further examination, I think I can make out which of the clips is installed in which position.

Attached is a profile photo I took of the two clips. You will notice that one clip has a small, three-sided, triangular bend and the other has only a two-side, triangular bend.

The clip most visible in the video, from about 1:19 onward, appears to be the clip with the small, three-sided, triangular bend. And what is visible of the other clip appears to be the two-sided, triangle clip.

I'll assume that that clip positions are an original installation.

Perhaps it really does not matter which clip goes in which position because all the aftermarket clips I have seen are a single style.

Thanks.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We noticed a slight difference with the clips when replacing the pads, removed the clips one at a time and replaced with the same profile at each location.
Does that make a difference - don't know. It may have more to do with how the left side of the clip in your picture fits in the caliper frame.

Glad the video was unexpectedly useful - it's one of the reasons I do them. That and my short term memory is... what was I going to say??