Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

clanking noise...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 03:42 PM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default clanking noise...

hi all,
wondering if anyone has any insight to my problem here. i was driving home from work yesterday and just when i was about to get home. i noticed a clanking type noise everytime i went over a bump. kind of sound like when you run over or hit a rock on the bottom of your car sound. i noticed the sound only when i would hit certain bumps and it didn't take much to mimic it. such as driving over a sewage drain would trigger the sound. does anyone know what this could be? i tried looking under the car. and the suspension area. but everthing seems right? one of the rear rubber pieces kind of was fallign off. but i fixed that. but still the sound is still there. it looks as if it's coming from the driver side front. or the bottom of my driver's seat. anyone know what could be the problem? and what do to do fix it? thanks all in advance for your help!
Old 08-10-2007, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Have you dropped it recently?? Try tightening the top nut on the front struts.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:50 PM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
Have you dropped it recently?? Try tightening the top nut on the front struts.
i lowered the car about 9-10 months ago. i tighted the top nut bolts and still have the sound. a co worker of mine says it could be my exhaust that's loose? i have a trd. i installed about the same time as well 9-10 months ago.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

re-torque all suspention bolts, and exaust bolts. also, check your heat shields while you are under the car ( they are 10mm bolts) also, while it is on the jack, inspect that the springs are seated properly in their stops on the top and bottom of the housings. when i was installing mine, i noticed that when i had it on the jack, and i had the springs installed, i was trying to tighten the big nut on top of the strut, and to my surprise, the rubber mount on top of the spring was spinning around, so i had to loosen everything, and make sure that the end of the spring was lined up with the stop, and that all the suspention components were facing the right way.. up front, the rubber thing that the spring seats on, as well as the metal retainer thing have sides that are labeled "out". make sure these are facing the right way..