Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Driver side suspension rattle..

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
Scikotics
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Driver side suspension rattle..

So.
I've been trying to figure this out for a while now. While driving, there is a rattle. Not a clunk, but a rattle. It sounds like a bot is loose or a washer is clinking against something. Its made louder by bumps in the road, but not affected by acceleration or turning.. It only happens when the car is moving.
I've pulled the wheel off and its not the disc backing plate, not the rotors, the struts seem to be tight, the calipers seem tight.
Could it possibly be the bearing? The steering linkage? Anyone have this problem. I'm getting to the point that I'm afraid to drive my car, which is bad because its the only one we have.

Help please..
Old 09-12-2010, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your car is not being jerked around while driving, and if there are no unusual vibrations in the steering wheel, it is generally never a major problem.

The rattle could be a loose bolt in your undercarriage. Could be a number of things. Unfortunately you're going to have to do some digging, and you'll need to scour the car and check everything within that vicinity. If you have no luck, you might want to consider dropping by the dealership or another mechanic and have a techy ride in the car with you to try to identify the source of the sound.

Basically you should be okay unless the car is being compromised to the extent that normal driving is not achievable (i.e., inability to drive straight without driver steering correction, etc.).
Old 05-09-2011, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member

Did you ever figure out what the noise was? Im having the same problem and cant figure it out.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
Scikotics
SL Member
Premium Member

It was the front bearing going out.. So.. Yeah.. ***** to me..