Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Help please with 2005 xB Balljoints/Control arm!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Help please with 2005 xB Balljoints/Control arm!!!

Stealership says that the lower ball joints are not a "serviceable part". Telling me that I have to replace the WHOLE lower control arm, $300.00 part, per side. I have a nice "clunk" coming from the driver side front, checked the upper strut nut, tight, and mount, changed out the sway bar end link bushings,
there seems to be a little "play" at the ball joint. I thought that the fronts were similar to the Echo's but I can't find anyone local or online selling a ball joint for the xB. I'll take "blame" for "railing" on-ramps and cloverleafs primarily "loading" the right front end... INPUT needed please.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-19-2020 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 06-21-2008, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Search wwwcar-part.com for a yard near you with a used xA or xB and get what you need cheap (prolly under 100 bucks).
Old 06-24-2008, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks, worth a shot SC
Old 06-24-2008, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

You have to replace the whole front for a lower ball joint that is ___ lol. I stoped taking my xb to the stealership because thats all they do they give you a warrenty and dont even let you get the warranty work for free lol.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by tlzook
Thanks, worth a shot SC
Have you had any luck in finding the parts you need?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

1st gen xB's use the same control arms as the last generation MR-S.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB384
1st gen xB's use the same control arms as the last generation MR-S.
And Echos I believe.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What a coincidence. I have the same problem with my '04. Just had the wheels aligned a couple months ago. I'll be damned if I remember how it happened to mine. My xB has the same symptoms as what tlzook described. Except I'll take it a step further and note that when I'm driving down the freeway the car will momentarily veer to the side without turning the wheel. Freaky! It's a good way to stay awake while driving?!

Got a quote today for $450 for the driver side control arm. Stealership alright.
Will have to find a wrecked xB somewhere that had no front damage.

I found a part on eBay for an Echo 00 - 5/03

Just checking to see if it is compatible. It looks identical from what I can see.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey peeps,
Just an update (albeit a little late), I did find a control arm. I used http://www.uneedapart.com as one of my serch tools, and came across Mom's Auto Parts. This was about 6 months ago, but I picked up a control arm for $120 shipped. Had my mechanic install it for $50. No more clunks. Rock'n an' rolling!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^^Nice!
Let us know how long that used one lasts!
Old 03-13-2011, 06:06 AM
5 Year Member

I know this is a dead thread, but with the last of the first generation xA/xB turning 5 years old, a lot of ball joints are going to be toast sooner than later regardless of how hard we drive the on ramps.

While I can't say for sure about the 2004-2005 xA/xB, I know the 2006 has a serviceable lower ball joint. If you guys haven't discovered it, check out partsgeek.com and toyotapartsexpress.com: both of them list lower ball joint replacements. Maybe having serviceable lower ball joints is the difference between 2005 and 2006 lower control arms?

But here's the thing: why bother replacing either the control arm or the lower ball joint when Energy Suspension makes replacement ball joint boots? The rubber is going to fail way before the metal does, just lube them up good and get some more benefits from polyurethane. If you want to get nuts, drill a grease fitting from Lowes into the control arm. I've never tried or seen this done, nor do I think I'd go through the hassle, but if it doesn't work, who cares? You have to replace the control arm repairing them the conventional way, anyway.

At the next service, I have to replace my brake pads. As long as I have the front torn down, I'm going to pull the control arm and replace all the rubber bushings with polyurethane. I'll try to post an update.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I kinda forgot about this. Rockauto has Beck/Arnley control arms for about 100.00/side. Mevotech is making them also as well as FEQ. All come in under $150.00/side.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Echo ball joint should work. Presses into the control arm with basic press set.
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...od=MOOG-K90310
Old 03-14-2011, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member

Those are the ones I saw on partsgeek.com for around $45 plus shipping. Order the parts, grab a 6 pack and the control arm, walk into any shop at 430. Done for $60.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

(^ snicker,.....been there, done that )
Old 04-16-2011, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TraumaNaked
I know this is a dead thread, but with the last of the first generation xA/xB turning 5 years old, a lot of ball joints are going to be toast sooner than later regardless of how hard we drive the on ramps.

While I can't say for sure about the 2004-2005 xA/xB, I know the 2006 has a serviceable lower ball joint. If you guys haven't discovered it, check out partsgeek.com and toyotapartsexpress.com: both of them list lower ball joint replacements. Maybe having serviceable lower ball joints is the difference between 2005 and 2006 lower control arms?

But here's the thing: why bother replacing either the control arm or the lower ball joint when Energy Suspension makes replacement ball joint boots? The rubber is going to fail way before the metal does, just lube them up good and get some more benefits from polyurethane. If you want to get nuts, drill a grease fitting from Lowes into the control arm. I've never tried or seen this done, nor do I think I'd go through the hassle, but if it doesn't work, who cares? You have to replace the control arm repairing them the conventional way, anyway.

At the next service, I have to replace my brake pads. As long as I have the front torn down, I'm going to pull the control arm and replace all the rubber bushings with polyurethane. I'll try to post an update.
You do have a shop press..... right ?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member

Anyone know where I can rent the tool for getting the bushing out?
Old 07-10-2014, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member

Can anyone provide pictures on removing any of the 2 lower control arms? I'm having the worst time tryin to figure out how to take um out!
Old 08-18-2020, 11:34 AM
SL Member

So it is 2020 and this thread is very old but wanted to know if the ball joints out here now are able to service the 2005 Scion xB?

I purchased a ball joint and rented the tools but I am not sure the ball joint job alone will work because It may have to be the entire lower control arm.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-19-2020 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:40 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jesse2005xb
So it is 2020 and this thread is very old but wanted to know if the ball joints out here now are able to service the 2005 Scion xB?

I purchased a ball joint and rented the tools but I am not sure the ball joint job alone will work because It may have to be the entire lower control arm.

_____
Did you figure it out? I have this control arm here and the ball joint is like press fit on a lip and secured with a clip. I think one of those cups/c clamp would work. If you can find a good price on the pair of control arms they've got the other bushings too so maybe worth it?

Quick Reply: Help please with 2005 xB Balljoints/Control arm!!!