Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Negative Camber plates and shims -what, why, how to do-

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, I agree they can be very harsh. Out here in Los Angeles, there are a ton of potholes and bad streets, so I know what you are talking about when you say the ksports can lose traction. When you get on a smooth patch, they really shine. Thanks for the info
Old 09-08-2010, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hope someone still looks at this thread to answer my question ...

i'm going to lower my xa about 1.8 inches front and back. wheels are still 15 inches.

how much negative camber will it produce?
if the degree isn't too bad, what do i need to do to make it "toe-out" so the tires save thread?
since the rears don't change, how will the handling/braking be with just the fronts with negative camber?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by itscurtsk

i'm going to lower my xa about 1.8 inches front and back. wheels are still 15 inches.

if the degree isn't too bad, what do i need to do to make it "toe-out" so the tires save thread?
since the rears don't change, how will the handling/braking be with just the fronts with negative camber?
Lower...how? Springs?

Should be no camber I think.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by itscurtsk

no idea. i doubt that the camber curves of the xa are all that dramatic. the change will only be in the front. the issue is not that the camber goes more negative after lowering but that the alignment is just plain off after unbolting the struts. you have to understand that these cars are aligned by how the strut is bolted into place. if you unbolt the struts, then you have to measure the alignment and adjust it from there because you have no idea where it is at until you measure.

further, 1.8", is that a spring manufacturer's rating? irl, it also seems to depend on your dampers. when my stock dampers gave out, my car dropped another half inch.

adjust the tie rods. although possible for the serious DIYer, this is a pain to get right without an alignment machine as far as i am concerned. there is a lot of diy info on the interwebz for alignments. i have tried and found that it is well worth my $70-200 to get a good shop to do it.

like i said above, if you unbolt the struts, then you do not know what you have up front, but it probably will not be devastatingly outside of spec. if your struts are still held in place by stock bolts, then you probably will not notice the difference in handling, but you might notice it in the early demise of your tires.

get the front end aligned if you unbolt your struts.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

is the rear suspension setup the same type as the B? if so, the lower you go, the more positive toe you get. but with that slight drop, not thinking there'll be much if any. Nothing an alignment shop shouldn't be able to correct.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbszero
is the rear suspension setup the same type as the B? if so, the lower you go, the more positive toe you get. but with that slight drop, not thinking there'll be much if any. Nothing an alignment shop shouldn't be able to correct.
should be identical to first gen xb. the rear should be pretty neutral. i do not know how it would change from a drop, but the alignment shop should measure the rear to verify that it is within spec even if they are only doing a front end alignment.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 1.8 inch is from megan racing springs. and thanks proctor to your contributions.
Old 01-07-2024, 05:10 PM
SL Member

So let me see if I understand.If I do a 2 in lift will one camber bolt per front strut get me to proper oem spec? And secondly,rear camber wont be affected?Gen 1 xb.
Thank you.