Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Raceland Coilover Review for the xA

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, I have the ability to roll the fenders, I just cannot. My car was in a wreck before I bought it so they body shop bondoed the rear quarter panel on the passengers side, so If I tried to roll the fenders the bondo will just pop out, then I would have to get that all fixed again, it would just cost too much money and it would not be worth it.
So basically, sucks to suck. Im stuck with it how it is, which is ok with me, it still looks good
Old 05-12-2013, 05:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, they were delivered today. very well packaged as others have mentioned, but still no directions. can someone give me a basic set of directions so i know what order to do everything in? I have zero experience with coilovers.
i got a couple questions about modding them.

1. How much of the bumpstop can i cut off safely, and does it matter from which end i take it off? I had read on some other sites that a lot of people just take them out completely, but general consensus with that says you risk damage that way.

2. Can you safely remove the bottom ring that is supposed to be run against the perch to lock it? it looks like it should be okay and gain a hair more of a drop.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

fronts:
loosen the three nuts at the top on the strut under the hood after you jack it up. Inthe wheel well, there will be a small bolt on the back of the strut holing the break line and abs sensor. Undo that and move it out of the way.
Then there will be 2 large nuts and bolts going through the bottom of the struts. Take those out.
everything will be loose. to get it out you need to play around with it, twisting things and moving things. You need to jimmy it around. Be careful of the CV boot!

then you need to take the top hats off and use those on the raceland coils. you will need spring compressors to safely take of the top hats from the stock struts.
As far as cutting the bump stops, i cut mine a little more than half way. you should be fine with that. And you can remove the bottom ring, i think its pointless its probably .5 cm thick...not worth it, I promise you will not be able to teel a difference in the drop if its there or not.

Reassembly of the front:
wiggle the new strut in and get the top hat studs to go through the top of the strut mount and hand tighten the nuts at the top just to hold it in place and take the weight off of your arms.
once that is done, get the bottem bolts lined up (look back at the first page for pics and more description of what I had to do) dont forget to reconnect he break lines

Rears.
Undo the tops of the shocks on both sides (unless you have spring compressors to get the rear springs out)if you have the compressors just undo the one side, jack the car up. remove the bottom nut from the shock, it will now slide right out. you will need to reuse the dust cover so take that off (the big black plastic/metal sleeve around the shaft, the sleeve that sits on the underside of the shock mount.

before putting the new shock in remove the old spring, since you are not using coils, the new ones should just slip in and not need to be compressed to get them in. make sure you have the Raceland logo right side up for proper spring installation. Now put the shock back in, put the bottom nut back on and wheel. SLOWLY let the car down just enough to get the top of the shock to go back through the hole at the top of the shock mount and then tighten from the top.
If you do it this way, i hope you have a good jack that is very control able because if it is not, it can drop on you arm if you dont have a stop under it.
I would not really recommend doing it this way, it is kind of scary and you can get hurt. this is just the way i HAD to do it. If you have another jack, i would put it under the axle and jack it up a bit to seat the shock properly.

the install is actually very simple.
just go slow and be careful, If you do the rears the way I had to (which I hope you do not have to do) just make sure you have something that can catch the weight of the car if the jack let go (so you wont crush your arm).

Hopefully everything goes well and like I said and cannot stress enough if you do the rears my way BE CAREFUL!!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go buy a floor jack from somewhere like a Harbor Freight if you have one. They're no more than $40 and will save you so much time.

I cut mine half as much I think. I also took out the lower collar, but it didn't do much... You might as well do it before you put them on if you're slamming it.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hmc2261CT
fronts:
loosen the three nuts at the top on the strut under the hood after you jack it up. Inthe wheel well, there will be a small bolt on the back of the strut holing the break line and abs sensor. Undo that and move it out of the way.
Then there will be 2 large nuts and bolts going through the bottom of the struts. Take those out.
everything will be loose. to get it out you need to play around with it, twisting things and moving things. You need to jimmy it around. Be careful of the CV boot!

then you need to take the top hats off and use those on the raceland coils. you will need spring compressors to safely take of the top hats from the stock struts.
As far as cutting the bump stops, i cut mine a little more than half way. you should be fine with that. And you can remove the bottom ring, i think its pointless its probably .5 cm thick...not worth it, I promise you will not be able to teel a difference in the drop if its there or not.

Reassembly of the front:
wiggle the new strut in and get the top hat studs to go through the top of the strut mount and hand tighten the nuts at the top just to hold it in place and take the weight off of your arms.
once that is done, get the bottom bolts lined up (look back at the first page for pics and more description of what I had to do) dont forget to reconnect he break lines

Rears.
Undo the tops of the shocks on both sides (unless you have spring compressors to get the rear springs out)if you have the compressors just undo the one side, jack the car up. remove the bottom nut from the shock, it will now slide right out. you will need to reuse the dust cover so take that off (the big black plastic/metal sleeve around the shaft, the sleeve that sits on the underside of the shock mount.

before putting the new shock in remove the old spring, since you are not using coils, the new ones should just slip in and not need to be compressed to get them in. make sure you have the Raceland logo right side up for proper spring installation. Now put the shock back in, put the bottom nut back on and wheel. SLOWLY let the car down just enough to get the top of the shock to go back through the hole at the top of the shock mount and then tighten from the top.
If you do it this way, i hope you have a good jack that is very control able because if it is not, it can drop on you arm if you dont have a stop under it.
I would not really recommend doing it this way, it is kind of scary and you can get hurt. this is just the way i HAD to do it. If you have another jack, i would put it under the axle and jack it up a bit to seat the shock properly.

the install is actually very simple.
just go slow and be careful, If you do the rears the way I had to (which I hope you do not have to do) just make sure you have something that can catch the weight of the car if the jack let go (so you wont crush your arm).

Hopefully everything goes well and like I said and cannot stress enough if you do the rears my way BE CAREFUL!!
doesnt sound too bad then. a couple pages back you guys were mentioning not having to use a spring compressor for the fronts, did the decision change on that? i got one floor jack, two stands, and the scissor jack that came with the car. for the rear, could i jack it up, put it one the stands, then after switching out the springs and shocks, use one of the jacks to push it all up so i can attach the nuts again in the cargo area?

Originally Posted by xAxAxAxA
Go buy a floor jack from somewhere like a Harbor Freight if you have one. They're no more than $40 and will save you so much time.

I cut mine half as much I think. I also took out the lower collar, but it didn't do much... You might as well do it before you put them on if you're slamming it.
already all over that a couple weeks ago, got this baby http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...eel-68049.html

guess ill go with the stops in half, seems about the average. ill probably just toss the extra collar then.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i installed them yesterday. everything went great! it was not nearly as hard as I was expecting. i assume i did not end up needing a spring compressor because i was already on ksport springs, so when everything was unbolted it released enough pressure that nothing came flying apart. overall, it probably took 2 or 3 hours of work, but i took multiple breaks cause it was very hot outside. the drop is excellent already, slightly tucked front and back.

there was only one problem though. my tires actually caught the larger adjusting perch/ring on the front, no good. so i had to have my girlfriend run up to pepboys to pick up some of those cheap ___ spacers universal spacers they sell there. i went with a 1/4 inch spacer, and it was enough to clear it. Its still close though, as i was unable to get the bigger spanner wrench (one of the ones from the kit) between my tire and the ring, but the smaller one slide through. so i am stuck using those for now.

good news though, that game me good reason to buy some proper spacer kits! i got ichiba v1 kits coming, one in 10mm for the front, and 15mm for the rear. i am hoping that i will be fine on clearance with the body though, because currently there is about a finger between the fender and the front tires, and about 1.5 fingers (maybe two) between the fender and rears.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eignub
well, i installed them yesterday. everything went great! it was not nearly as hard as I was expecting. i assume i did not end up needing a spring compressor because i was already on ksport springs, so when everything was unbolted it released enough pressure that nothing came flying apart. overall, it probably took 2 or 3 hours of work, but i took multiple breaks cause it was very hot outside. the drop is excellent already, slightly tucked front and back.

there was only one problem though. my tires actually caught the larger adjusting perch/ring on the front, no good. so i had to have my girlfriend run up to pepboys to pick up some of those cheap ___ spacers universal spacers they sell there. i went with a 1/4 inch spacer, and it was enough to clear it. Its still close though, as i was unable to get the bigger spanner wrench (one of the ones from the kit) between my tire and the ring, but the smaller one slide through. so i am stuck using those for now.

good news though, that game me good reason to buy some proper spacer kits! i got ichiba v1 kits coming, one in 10mm for the front, and 15mm for the rear. i am hoping that i will be fine on clearance with the body though, because currently there is about a finger between the fender and the front tires, and about 1.5 fingers (maybe two) between the fender and rears.
Dang dude, what's your offset? I didn't even think about rubbing the collars... I didn't rub with the steelies. I have 0 fingers in the rears, but I have 300lbs of system in the hatch. And one in the front.

My front passenger shock makes an awful noise now cause I didn't put a dust cover or anything on it and I guess it got something that messed up the seal so now it makes a groaning noise as I drive. Hopefully some grease will fix it, but I'm getting the K-Sport coils this week so Racelands will be my back ups.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dang dude, what's your offset? I didn't even think about rubbing the collars... I didn't rub with the steelies. I have 0 fingers in the rears, but I have 300lbs of system in the hatch. And one in the front.

My front passenger shock makes an awful noise now cause I didn't put a dust cover or anything on it and I guess it got something that messed up the seal so now it makes a groaning noise as I drive. Hopefully some grease will fix it, but I'm getting the K-Sport coils this week so Racelands will be my back ups.
Theyre +42, high i know. But I got the wheels w/ tires for $200 from a guy in the club i used to be part of. They are enkei rs7 17x7. They look sweet imo. I wanted to get some new wheels this season, but my tax return went faster then expected.

I will get some pictures after i wash it next time, its looking better and better.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How I sit.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah glad everything went smooth. Good call getting real spacers. The pep boys ones scare me
And I'm surprised your rubbing, have a 45 offset and I'm good
Either way, can't wait to see pics!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hmc2261CT
Yeah glad everything went smooth. Good call getting real spacers. The pep boys ones scare me
And I'm surprised your rubbing, have a 45 offset and I'm good
Either way, can't wait to see pics!
i accidentally ordered two sets of 10mm spacers, but since the cost to return and exchange wouldve been almost as much as buying another whole set, i used them anyways. luckily the fit was good, on the front. the rear is too close and catches the inside of my fender on hard dips, so i am going to get my fenders rolled a little to clear it.

its looking damn good though. besides the rear catching now, i have realized since it actually tucks a little i have to figure out a new way to shine my tires lol.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member

i accidentally ordered two sets of 10mm spacers, but since the cost to return and exchange wouldve been almost as much as buying another whole set, i used them anyways. luckily the fit was good, on the front. the rear is too close and catches the inside of my fender on hard dips, so i am going to get my fenders rolled a little to clear it.

its looking damn good though. besides the rear catching now, i have realized since it actually tucks a little i have to figure out a new way to shine my tires lol.
do you have pics of your drop?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What are you guys using to adjust the wheel alignment after the drop? I have Eibach camber bolts in the front and shims in the rear. I'm guessing I'm gonna have to get new shims. Will the camber bolts be enough to align the front?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Archangel1183
What are you guys using to adjust the wheel alignment after the drop? I have Eibach camber bolts in the front and shims in the rear. I'm guessing I'm gonna have to get new shims. Will the camber bolts be enough to align the front?
Stock adjustments on the front for me. Shims in the rear to correct some bad toe I had.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I finally got around to installing my Racelands today. How did you guys keep the strut rod from turning when tightening the top nut?

I installed the rears without the perch. The fronts are at the lowest without anything removed. My poor rear tires sound like their shredding. I'm gonna have to get my fenders rolled. I might go a bit lower on the front. I'm gonna wait for the springs to settle.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Archangel1183
I finally got around to installing my Racelands today. How did you guys keep the strut rod from turning when tightening the top nut?

I installed the rears without the perch. The fronts are at the lowest without anything removed. My poor rear tires sound like their shredding. I'm gonna have to get my fenders rolled. I might go a bit lower on the front. I'm gonna wait for the springs to settle.
Yeah, I shredded my first set of tires in the rear. I tightened the top nut while the strut was out. Took a clamp and a rubber anti-slip pad I had and clamped the very top part of the shock (that spins) and tightened the nut on the ground. If that makes sense...
Old 07-01-2013, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I shredded my first set of tires in the rear. I tightened the top nut while the strut was out. Took a clamp and a rubber anti-slip pad I had and clamped the very top part of the shock (that spins) and tightened the nut on the ground. If that makes sense...
I didn't think about an anti-slip pad. I had a friend hold the actual rod with a rag and pliers to avoid scratching the rod. An anti-slip pad would have worked a lot better. I think they're on tight enough though. I don't hear any knocking.

I won't be able to get my car aligned and fenders rolled until next weekend, so I'm gonna have to use the spare car this week. :/ I don't like that this spring/strut combo is so soft. I can feel the back move up and down while I'm driving. I Wish they were load adjustable.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

They make a special too, for tightening them, I ended up using an impact wrench. I know it says not to but the only concern is over tightening the nut so then the top hat won't spin
I went slow and tightened it bit by bit, and the shock did spin but the nut was moving down. While doing this I kept turning and wiggling the top hat and once I could no longer wiggle it but could still spin it, I stopped. And that will do it.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:56 AM

Default slammed xa

a lot of people trash talk the raceland coilovers
how happy were you with the ride quality that you got from them man?
I really want to drop my car using coilovers and the raceland brand are the cheapest ones out there that i've seen
Old 08-14-2013, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by _rudycerda
a lot of people trash talk the raceland coilovers
how happy were you with the ride quality that you got from them man?
I really want to drop my car using coilovers and the raceland brand are the cheapest ones out there that i've seen
Not sure if you were asking me, but I regret getting them. The ride feels really cheap. Almost like ebay coilovers, except these are too soft opposed to too hard. I bottom out several times a day and my tires rub when it happens. There are all kinds of noises coming from the suspension. I think I can hear the helper springs rattling around in the front.

I should have saved up for some megan coilovers or something similar.

Quick Reply: Raceland Coilover Review for the xA