Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Raceland Coilover Review for the xA

Old 08-15-2013, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a rough ride and there are some noises from the suspension. They do what they are supposed to but I would change some things about them material for example, my threads are all corroded which sucks
For the price, they are fine
I don't regret it, but if I were you I would look for some coils in the 650-750 range.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by _rudycerda
a lot of people trash talk the raceland coilovers
how happy were you with the ride quality that you got from them man?
I really want to drop my car using coilovers and the raceland brand are the cheapest ones out there that i've seen
Originally Posted by Archangel1183
Not sure if you were asking me, but I regret getting them. The ride feels really cheap. Almost like ebay coilovers, except these are too soft opposed to too hard. I bottom out several times a day and my tires rub when it happens. There are all kinds of noises coming from the suspension. I think I can hear the helper springs rattling around in the front.

I should have saved up for some megan coilovers or something similar.
Originally Posted by hmc2261CT
It's a rough ride and there are some noises from the suspension. They do what they are supposed to but I would change some things about them material for example, my threads are all corroded which sucks
For the price, they are fine
I don't regret it, but if I were you I would look for some coils in the 650-750 range.
Buy K-Sports. I got some used ones (modified) for $450... They ride better than Racelands. Especially on rough roads. I was practically riding bumpstops with my Racelands. I also began to notice a bit of 'whiplash' in the steering during aggressive driving (I would turn hard in one direction and the springs would rebound way too much upon correcting back to center).

I like my K-sports, they ride like some used & modified ones, but a friend with an xD has them (same coilover) and it rides pretty good. Front goes lower than you'll ever need to go. Rear, on the other hand, might not... But the springs are too soft for aggressive fitment and some shorter Swift springs will solve any ride height issue plus rubbing problems. My shocks are modified to go lower and be stiffer than the one's you'd get, but one's a bit slack compared to the other. Dampening is a HUGE factor with better coilovers as well. Plus you can put pre-load if necessary. The list goes on... I don't regret buying Racelands because they dropped it low enough to look good and rode decent. But if you have the income to save up another month and be able to afford K-Sports or Megans, do it. It'll be better in the long run.

Edit:
I never had any noises from my Racelands... or any corrosion problems. I only had them about a year. The rear was a great ride, but the front struts were just not good for slamming...
Old 10-18-2013, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last edited by Archangel1183; 03-21-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't had issues, I don't think mine are shot. I hear noise core bigger bumps but I'm assuming its due to the stiffness of the suspension. Also I have checked by bouncing the car in the corners and I don't see continued bouncing so I don't think my shocks are bad
I'll have to do a more thorough check when I swap to winter tires
Old 01-19-2014, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed the rear perches back on. I realized I had the rear springs upside down. The end with more coils should be on the bottom. You can tell with the printed "Racelands" on the springs, it should be normal and not upside down. Anyways, car ride feels less bouncy.

Last edited by itscurtsk; 01-19-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I left the two lock collars in the front
Just a temp thing till i save up for some teins
Exwife left me with this car, might as well drop it, right?
Attached Thumbnails Raceland Coilover Review for the xA-cam00324-1.jpg  
Old 03-11-2015, 11:26 PM

When you guys were installing your rears, did you use the included spacers with springs or did you guys just let them sit on the spring seat like stock? I wasn't sure if it was safe so I left my spacers in... I'll probably take them out to get lower in the rears if it's perfectly fine to do so.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took my spacers out in the rear, it lowered the rear about 1 inch, I have not had any issues so far while driving (and its been over a year).
The only problem I ran into was when I put my car up on a lift, you could pretty pull out the springs by hand. But if you dont plan on getting your car off the ground (or jumping it), you will be completely fine.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:08 AM

I took my spacers out in the rear, it lowered the rear about 1 inch, I have not had any issues so far while driving (and its been over a year).
The only problem I ran into was when I put my car up on a lift, you could pretty pull out the springs by hand. But if you dont plan on getting your car off the ground (or jumping it), you will be completely fine.
Dang, so if you hit a bump on the freeway going pretty quick and get a bit of air, it may unseat the spring? I remember seeing that the roads YOU drive on are pretty rough, right? If it never unseated for you then I should be fine! When you take the car off the lift, does the spring automatically reseat itself easily?
Old 03-12-2015, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile

Originally Posted by InfinitXA
Dang, so if you hit a bump on the freeway going pretty quick and get a bit of air, it may unseat the spring? I remember seeing that the roads YOU drive on are pretty rough, right? If it never unseated for you then I should be fine! When you take the car off the lift, does the spring automatically reseat itself easily?
I think there was a little confusion with what I said. When I was talking about my car up on the lift, once everything completely settled i was able to turn the springs a bit, and if I REALLY wanted to, I could have pulled the springs out. By no means were they ready to fall out on their own.
So driving down the roads you will be 100% fine, And id guarantee that haha

if you think about doing what myself and others did, and remove the front helper spring from the strut assembly and spin the coils all the way down, when you put everything back in and put the wheel back on and then go to lower the corner of the car, you WILL have to guide the front springs into place. since you took out the helper that provide some force to keep the spring seated, you will now have to lower the car slowly to compress the strut enough until the spring seats, then you can just drop the front end.

to seat the spring as you lower the car is tricky, i was an idiot and i stuck my hand between the tire and the fender. Luckily I used a really nice jack, so i had really good control over the lowering of the vehicle. I dont recommend this, however you may want to try and find something else to stick in there and hold the spring temporarily, its a good access point.

long story short, even with the fronts as i mentioned above, you will be safe driving the same way I am, I have been doing it for over a year with no issues and I have been driving in Massachusetts where the roads are terrible, and I have not had a single issue.

Hope this helps!!
Old 03-12-2015, 06:00 AM

I think there was a little confusion with what I said. When I was talking about my car up on the lift, once everything completely settled i was able to turn the springs a bit, and if I REALLY wanted to, I could have pulled the springs out. By no means were they ready to fall out on their own.
So driving down the roads you will be 100% fine, And id guarantee that haha

if you think about doing what myself and others did, and remove the front helper spring from the strut assembly and spin the coils all the way down, when you put everything back in and put the wheel back on and then go to lower the corner of the car, you WILL have to guide the front springs into place. since you took out the helper that provide some force to keep the spring seated, you will now have to lower the car slowly to compress the strut enough until the spring seats, then you can just drop the front end.

to seat the spring as you lower the car is tricky, i was an idiot and i stuck my hand between the tire and the fender. Luckily I used a really nice jack, so i had really good control over the lowering of the vehicle. I dont recommend this, however you may want to try and find something else to stick in there and hold the spring temporarily, its a good access point.

long story short, even with the fronts as i mentioned above, you will be safe driving the same way I am, I have been doing it for over a year with no issues and I have been driving in Massachusetts where the roads are terrible, and I have not had a single issue.

Hope this helps!!
Thanks for the input and reassurance that I won't get destroyed by getting some air time. LOL I was wondering the whole time how everyone got so low in the rear while I still had about a good inch or two of wheel gap in the rear. Definitely helped a lot, much appreciated!
Old 04-01-2015, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member

Default I have some questions.

So I wanted to write another review for Raceland coilovers, I wanted to write it specifically for the Xa.
I bought the coilovers about a week ago and they just arrived yesterday, First thing that I really liked is that the coilovers came very well packaged. The packaging science guys there did a great job, everything had its own little box and nothing rattled around, not even the tools. The box was well taped and had straps around it to insure nothing would open up

Upon inspection of the product, everything was in almost perfect condition. The only flaw was a small knick in the finish in the rear coil. But I can live with that

As far as install goes, When I was putting the front in, everything went pretty smoothly since Raceland uses the factory holes (which is very nice). The only problem I had was that the two large holes at the bottom of the coil did not match the factory holes perfectly. One hole was only off by millimeters but this was easily corrected for my using the side of a drill bit just to shave away some metal. Other than that, the front install went very smoothly.

In the rear, it was also very easy. It was only 4 bolts in total that you needed to remove to put the new suspension on.

All in all, I think the install went well, it took me about 5 hours (but I did not have a lift, and my girlfriend was there talking to me).
PROS: very well packaged, nice that everything fits into the factory holes, provides a nice drop, good pricing, looks well built (including welds).
CONS: I would have liked some type of schematic showing how the install the perches in the rear, it seems straight forward, but there are three pieces that screw onto the perch, so I was a little confused on which way everything went (in the end I got it, but it took me a while), I would also have liked it if they provided the tool so that you could hold the top of the strut while you tighten the nut down on the top hat, unlike the stock struts these do not lock in place when the cars weight is in it. I would also like to see a list of what parts you need to take off of the old suspension for the new coilovers (just so everything is clear).
It seems like there are a lot of CONS but in reality these, at least in my mind are small things that were really not that bad.
I have only installed them and took a short ride on them last night, but everything fit well, and so far the ride quality felt pretty good. The drop is decent so far but I will like to see what in looks like in a few weeks once the springs settle.
All in all Raceland did a good job building these coilovers, and I am a really big fan on how helpful the customer service was. I will follow up in a few weeks to comment on ride quality and the settling of the springs

I just got my raceland coilovers what did you set your spring load to?
Old 04-01-2015, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by XirtaXa
I just got my raceland coilovers what did you set your spring load to?
For me personally, I set all the perches all the way to the bottom for the lowest ride height and didn't use the spacers supplied for the rears.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

to those who have had their racelands installed for an extended period of time....how are they holding up? any blown shocks or other issues? especially those without front helper springs and or bottom front collars.

ive been on the fence for awhile with getting these..i have eibach sportlines...and when i blew my front stock strut i ordered the echo struts to get the additional half inch drop people were getting a while back...mine didnt provide that and were exact same size as oe xa's.

does anyone have any direct side pics of their car with front helper spring out and or lower lock collar? even better yet if someone can measure distance from center of wheel to fender that would be great!

i know racelands are lower quality and also dont dump like other coilovers ..just tryin to find an economical way to close the gap sportlines leave.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by damnimcold2
to those who have had their racelands installed for an extended period of time....how are they holding up? any blown shocks or other issues? especially those without front helper springs and or bottom front collars.

ive been on the fence for awhile with getting these..i have eibach sportlines...and when i blew my front stock strut i ordered the echo struts to get the additional half inch drop people were getting a while back...mine didnt provide that and were exact same size as oe xa's.

does anyone have any direct side pics of their car with front helper spring out and or lower lock collar? even better yet if someone can measure distance from center of wheel to fender that would be great!

i know racelands are lower quality and also dont dump like other coilovers ..just tryin to find an economical way to close the gap sportlines leave.
I know you're looking for people who have their front helper springs and lower lock collars out to chime in, but to give you a idea of how low they go with all of the aforementioned installed, I still have an inch of clearance or so from fender to tire.

I'm running the stock 15x6 steelies the XA with, from what I can remember, 185/60/15 tires. There's a few photos around page 3-5 with forum members w/o helper springs & lower locking collars.

Last edited by InfinitXA; 04-09-2015 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thx for the feed back...actually just found a pm from xaxaxaxa stating he measured center to top of fender and got 12 inches without helper and bottom collar...which is exactly 1 inch lower than my eibachs.

guess I should log in and look around a lil more often!?
Old 07-31-2015, 07:18 AM

Compared to Megan Racing Coilovers, do Racelands provide a lower drop or do Megans?

I just got a new wheel setup so I'm in need of a much lower drop in the front than Racelands can provide.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:50 PM

I plan on only daily driving my scion xa and not driving it hard, would the racelands suffice?

I'm just looking for a nice drop and decent ride quality. don't even plan on ever driving it hard.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by kehvynh
I plan on only daily driving my scion xa and not driving it hard, would the racelands suffice?

I'm just looking for a nice drop and decent ride quality. don't even plan on ever driving it hard.
The bumpiness of Racelands are starting to drive me a bit nuts. If you're looking for a nice drop, the Racelands offer you enough drop to basically scrape your subframe hard on a lot of speed bumps that are pretty steep. Ride quality, I would say, would be 5/10. You'll also bottom out quite a bit if you fully slam your XA, so keep that in mind.

I honestly regret not saving up the extra $3-400 and picking up a set of Megan Racing Coilovers for the better ride quality and 32-way rebound adjustment and camber adjustment. I don't drive my XA hard either, just daily driving from work/school. For $400, you can't really beat Racelands but you do get what you pay for.

For comparison:

I had a 1-2 finger gap fully lowered on Racelands on stock 15" wheels 185/60/15 tires, if I recall correctly.
I now have about a 1 finger gap or so on 16" 16x7 and 16x8 +24 wheels w/ 205/45/15 tires fully lowered. Still about the same due to less meaty tires!

This is without mods to the coilovers (cut bumpstops, removed lower ring, etc.)