Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Tein Basics / coilover install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tein Basics / coilover install question

I had a question about installing tein basics. on the front coilover theres a nut on the top that hold the top spring seat, dust cap and stock pillow mount thing to the shock cylinder, i tightened this bolt til the assembly began to spin. Do i have to tighten it more by using clamps or something on the shaft of the shock? The back does the same thing...i tighten the nut on top and after awhile, it doesn't get tighter the whole thing just spins.

i hope this makes sense...can anyone help?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think we all have had this problem. You could use a clamp and try to tighten it some more, but you take the chance of messing somthing up with the clamp. Does it feel like it is nice and tight? Then you should be alright, just make sure in about a week you recheck the nut to make sure it is still nice and tight. I rechecked mine yesterday after 2 months being on and when i tried to tighten it, the whole assembly moved, so the nut was still good and tight.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I had the same problem and then was scared to really crank the back ones down. So I just snugged them all up and have checked them a few times.

I have a question though, are you guys getting just insane loud rattle/clicking from the rear of your car now? Since I put the basic's on the noise coming from the back when your going slow and hit bumps is about to drive me thru the roof. It sounds like the car is falling apart back there. Its past annoying.

Ive checked all the bolts, they are all tight etc, but wow its loud and rattles a lot.

Any idea or do yours do the same thing?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zeeke
Yeah I had the same problem and then was scared to really crank the back ones down. So I just snugged them all up and have checked them a few times.

I have a question though, are you guys getting just insane loud rattle/clicking from the rear of your car now? Since I put the basic's on the noise coming from the back when your going slow and hit bumps is about to drive me thru the roof. It sounds like the car is falling apart back there. Its past annoying.

Ive checked all the bolts, they are all tight etc, but wow its loud and rattles a lot.

Any idea or do yours do the same thing?
do you have both rubber peices (top on bottom) installed on the spring? and did you tighten the top bolts with a load on the suspention?

ProshopXB thanks for the help...i'm just trying to figure out this weird knocking sound that i get when i go full lock to the left and roll over a bump. I guess I'll just have to wait a little bit and see.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm I dont have any full lock noises and I have about 1.5 finger space above the wheel. I am at 24" in the front from ground to bottom of the upper fender well. Odd.

Yeah I used the metal cup shaped washer with the rubber grommet inside it on the underside of the shock over the top of the metal ring. Then I used th whole piece from the inside of the shock tower with the gromet and the two metal spacers. I tried it really tight and even tried it a little looser to make sure it was not pinched. Same result.

Yeah I tightened the bottom and the top with the weight of the car on it, I might try and loosen both up and try again. Its really driving me nuts, its almost obxnious.

As for the spring the first rubber ring is under he height adjustment piece, and the second one is on top of the spring. Nothing between the spring and the adjustment piece but that metal shim.

So no noise at all in the back for you guys? This is not a noise you would miss so I guess I got something not right then.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

nothing crazy. not as quiet as stock, but i'm guessing thats normal or i'm just paranoid becuase i'm scared everything is going to fall apart