Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Crack Windshield - Anybody gotten Toyota to pay for it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Crack Windshield - Anybody gotten Toyota to pay for it?

I've owned my xB for six months and was washing it yesterday when the windshield cracked.
The crack starts just to the right of the rear view mirror on the top of the windshield.
The car might have been a little warmer inside than outside, but I was amazed when the windshield cracked!
The crack is clearly from a manufacturer defect and not a rock hitting it. The crack starts behind the trim molding.

Any chance of getting the windshield replaced under the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty?

I like the box, just surprised to see such poor quality from Toyota.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-26-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member

Never hurts to ask, but they will go over it with a fine toothed comb. If there is ANY kinda nick in the crack they will say no.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default cracked

I have the same exact crack on my windshield as well. It starts behind the trim to the right of the mirror. No chips or signs of rock damage. I going to take it to the dealership this week to see what they will say.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just had my replaced under warranty. Same thing too. Crack to the right of the rearview. They had to get permission from a regional guy though to replace it for free.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow that sucks. good luck to you in getting it fixed under warrenty.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Yeah without saying too much, I know someone who knew someone at the dealership, he got a rock chip in his window that cracked, but he got the dealership to say it was a "dealership defect" because the window had warped and caused the crack. Toyota paid for the whole thing.

So yes these things that arent caused by rock chips are replaceable by the dealership for free.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

my insurance company replaced mine free of charge.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have that same crack, but a rock hit it first...ill take pics to show and you all can compare. But i think its on the left side.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have a star crack. It hasn't gone anywhere in the month or so that I've had it. When you replace the windshield do you get a Toyota replacement or is there something better?
Matt
Old 03-13-2007, 05:16 PM

Mine cracked from the driver side half way to the passenger side in the middle of the windshield. I took the box to the dealer (Longo) and the manager checked to see whether any glass chip along the crack (indicates any impact ) but none found since the windshield just POP. They're going to replace mine for free as soon as the windshiel comes in (it's on order).
Old 03-13-2007, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Usually they replace it with an aftermarket windshield, Tomas has a nice post floating around somewhere with all the info you would ever need in it.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks....
Old 03-13-2007, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default update

Ok so I went to the dealership I bought my box from and they claimed they could not cover the windshield under warranty even though he could not find any signs of rock damage. I going to take it to another local scion dealership before I take this to the next level. I really don't want to have to go through scion claims dispute though
Old 03-14-2007, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default final update

I took my xB to another local Scion dealer yesterday and they said it was a defect in the glass and said it was in fact covered by warranty. So I guess it just depends on who the service manager is. The funny thing about this is the service manager called me back today to set up a time to replace my windshield and he told me about an hour after I left someone else showed up with an 06 xB and they had a crack that was almost identical as mine. So the service manager called Scion tech department and they said it is an issue that they are currently investigating and they told him to have it replaced with an after market windshield, not a Toyota one. So anyone else with this issue, if they say they will not cover it ask them to call their tech department and ask about it because it is a known issue.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Mine is a definate rock hit. You can actually fell it on the inside of the glass. It's got a fourway star going on. I think I'm gonna wait and see if it goes all the way...if it does I'll be calling the insurance company.
Matt
Old 03-14-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I called the Toyota dealer they said they will replace it if it is NOT caused by something hitting the windshield. The procedure they use is to run a ball point pen down the crack to see if anything hit it on the outside to cause the crack.

I made an appointment to have them check my car for warranty coverage of the windshield. On the way there a truck through up a rock and it hit just between the two crack lines. So now I have my first chip between the two cracks. The service manager said no, but will make an appointment to have the regional representative look at it.

Okay so now everywhere I drive I see Scions and Toyotas with giant window cracks. I guess you don't notice it until you get one. I have an Ford Expedition that is 10 years old the windshield looks like someone was shooting at me from all the chips, but never a crack the length of the windshield. My girl friends Prius also has a cracked windshield which I think was caused by using the defrosted in the winter!

It would be interesting to see wind tunnel exposure graph of the Xb. I wonder where the most vulnerable places on the vehicle is based on the air moving over the vehicle.

Anyone had any success putting a shield on the hood to divert stuff coming at the vehicle.

I will let you know how my visit with the regional manager goes...

Thanks,
John
Old 03-31-2007, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I got a call from the Toyota dealer about a week after my last visit. They gave me the day the regional manager would be available.

It just so happens that I go to school and work that day.

So the service manager said I could bring the car in and they could take a digital picture. Which is what I suggested during my last visit to the Toyota dealer and he flat out told me they couldn't do that.

Since I live an hour away from the dealer I asked if I could take a digital picture and email it to the service manager. Afterall he has already seen the windshield crack.

He said no and that they would have to take the picture. So in about a month I will get another break in my schedule and take my car to the dealer so they can take a digital picture (the closest dealership is an hour away).

Its ironic that I bought my xB because I knew I would be pressed for time and didn't want to have servicing my vehicle eating into my busy schedule. In the year I have owned my xb I have been back to the dealer more times for manufacturer defects than any other vehicle I've owned! My other vehicles were Fords!

Thanks,
John
Old 04-03-2007, 02:30 AM
Fel
5 Year Member

My '06 with 8500 miles developed a crack recently. Service manager looked at it and called Toyota for approval. They ordered the new part, and I had it installed today. All covered under warranty. Toyota must know there is something up with glass quality.

Some member were asking about part numbers to see if Toyota had a new windshield in inventory. My new part number is 56111-52150, which may assist those who are tracking part numbers. Have no idea what the original part number was.

Fel
Old 04-04-2007, 04:49 AM
ong
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB windshield in so vertical that cause so much problem when some small particle or debris from the road or highway hit the windshield. I do change my windshield one time and my back driver window one time too,
it's not because the quality but the angle of the window that xB has.........so you guys better get a $. 0 deductible on your Comprehensive (insurance) will help you alot..........hope this will help some of you guys........I love my xB......

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-03-2018 at 04:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-04-2007, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the exact same crack as most of you guys.

Under which portion of the warranty would this fall under.

I did not purchase the extended; So I have 3 year 36k I believe it is.

I am at 56k+ miles. Would I still be ok with taking my box to the dealership to have them replace.

BTW my service dept (Temecula Toyota) is HORRIBLE. CUST SERV is crap.

SEN-

Quick Reply: Crack Windshield - Anybody gotten Toyota to pay for it?