Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Crack Windshield - Anybody gotten Toyota to pay for it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:16 AM
Fel
5 Year Member

So long as there is no rock chip or obvious reason for the crack, they must replace under warranty. Tell them it is known problem with xB's. They know the deal although they try and play dumb.

I did never ask them. I took it in and asked the service manager to look at it. Told him it happened while parked. Told him I knew there were lots of owners in the same boat. I asked him to call Toyota for approval, and to make sure the replacement was factory logod wthi the same tint. Took them a week to get the part, then they called me to bring the car in. They ended up having a local glass shop install it, which was fine with me, assuming they do it all day.

The also replaced the air dams that go under the windshield wipers (where the leaves and twigs gather).

I'm overall happy unless it breaks again. I'm hoping that Toyota is giving us an upgraded windshield instead of the same original part number again.

Fel
Old 04-20-2007, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member

Default Grrr

I have the same thing! Happened overnight. We had a warm week here in Philly and then a cold week. I have a rock chip closeby but it's at least 6 inches away. My fiancee just spotted this thread and I called the dealer a minute ago. You would think they would be aware of the issue, but they sounded like they were surprised. I get to bring it in and they say if it's not caused by damage they will cover under warranty.

Why can't they admit there is a problem? What does it take for a car manufacturer to call a recall?

I wonder if we can do anything about this!? Maybe call the news channels
Old 04-24-2007, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same exact crack happened to me today while I was washing my car and sprayed water on the windshield. Took it to my dealership, got the run-around crap as they insisted that it felt like there was a rock dent on the top of the crack and that there was no TSB out on it so they couldn't do a thing about it (Including using money from their "Goodwill" fund.)

I'm gonna be fighting this, A LOT. I'm a producer for my high school's daily news broadcast so I'm thinking about writing the dealership manager and/or district manager about making an exposé of sorts on the dealership's service for the 3000 wealthy and spoiled students of my HS to see. I'll see if that gets me a response.

I'm sick of Frontier Toyota.

Check out the pics, I'm not an expert but it looks like a crack that just split and warped:

The crack is just to the right of the rearview mirror and starts inside the black border on top of the windshield:

Where it splits off about 1.5" from the top.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Fel
5 Year Member

If you can get the service manager to call Toyota you will get them to replace it under warranty. My dealership confirmed that Toyota knows about the problem even though there is no TSB.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Geico replaced my tC windshield for $50 after a road sign flew up into the air and landed on it...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-03-2018 at 04:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-26-2007, 01:40 AM

Ok...here's my story (relatively short and sweet)

I picked up my RS4 on Friday. Drove it all weekend and to work on Monday. Got up Tuesday to drive to work...10+ inch crack from the frame on driver side to about midway on the steering wheel. Called the dealer and said to bring it in to have the svc mgr check it. If no rock, they will cover. Called the Scion customer service line and got a reference # (just in case). My wife took it to the dealer this am. Svc manager found an invisible stone mark and was starting down the dark path, but my wife asked if he had seen this before...he said he has had 3 in his shop for the xB. He said he would call Scion...they said to cover it. He said he has to order a Toyota windshield since it is a warranty fix.

So we should be good to go in about a week.

It can be done.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:11 AM

You guys are in for the fight of your life and this problem will keep happening. I loved my Scion xB, but I had to let her go. If you want to prepare yourselves:

http://www.myscionsucks.com
Old 04-29-2007, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sure enough, same thing happened to me tonight except the crack is on the bottom of the windshield by the lower molding and going upwards.. it was fairly warm today and cold at night when the windshield cracked.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:53 AM

I am truly sorry about your luck and I completely understand where you are coming from. Is this your first crack? If it is you can start the documentation on it right from the beginning and I would suggest recording any calls/visits to the dealership about it.
You may also want to go ahead and contact Scion Customer Experience to start the paper trail on it as well. My cracking problem never went away and it was very frustrating. Finally after my 8th windshield in 6 months I had enough.

http://www.myscionsucks.com

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-03-2018 at 04:21 AM. Reason: typo