Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 11:24 PM
dm4
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Headlight Problem

Hello,
I'm new to the xB (1st gen 2005) and new to the forum and need help. My headlights won't come on. When I turn the light switch they (both) don't come on. The parking and rear lights come on. If I push the lever to turn on the high beams they don't come on. But if I pull the lever to me and hold it, the high beams come on. Could it be a fuse? I looked at both fuse boxes but can't tell which fuse is for the headlights. Can someone tell me which fuse - what's it labeled?

Any suggestions on what the cause and fix are?

Also, how do you replace the headlight bulbs? I looked at them from inside the engine compartment and can't tell how to get them out and didn't want to take a chance on breaking something.

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-20-2016, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have high beams when you pull the lever torwards you.........this means that the power supply is good and also that the negative ground wires are good.

This would lead me to suspect the problem is (next) with the light switch itself (the light switch is more technically referred to as the "Multi Function Switch").

Hi Beams and Lo Beams share the same power source, but they have separate power relays. Chances that both relays are broken is highly unlikely.......so naturally, I'd suspect the source of the problem is with a different part of the system which both Hi and Lo circuits have to rely on...........THE MULTI FUNCTION SWITCH.

You'd have to remove the airbag, steering wheel, clockspring and a few other parts to do some testing of the light switch terminals. Requires some specialized tools and basic knowledge of 12v negative ground electrical systems........you shouldn't attempt to do any of the testing if you don't know what you are doing.........Mostly because of the clockspring orientation and also the dangers of accidental airbag deployment. If you accidentally activate the airbag nitrogen cartridge's, it will also activate the SRS seatbelt retractors (ruining them)..........might even get killed.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

By the way.........I recently replaced this switch last week on a 2005 Scion tC...........bought the switch at Autozone for $130..........probably the same part as in the xB
Old 10-21-2016, 11:48 AM
dm4
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tony,
Wow! Thanks for the good info! This is definitely not something I can tackle myself. I'll guess I'll be taking it to the dealership.

So I take it that when the multifunction switch malfunctions, parts of what it controls can still work like the parking, tail, and dash lights, since my still work?

Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dm4

So I take it that when the multifunction switch malfunctions, parts of what it controls can still work like the parking, tail, and dash lights, since my still work?

Thanks again.
Yes. Exactly.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:23 PM
dm4
5 Year Member
SL Member

That was it: the multifunction switch. Took it to the dealership and they replaced it. All works correctly now. Thanks, Tony.