Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

So, I have a chrome grille, open to elements

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default So, I have a chrome grille, open to elements

I have a chrome grille, and as many of you know, the stock grille is fully sealed to eliminate any rain/other elements into the engine compartment. My grille is not sealed, and I am wondering how you guys seal it without it looking "Mickey Mouse". Any ideas?

Heres a pic: Name:  photo1-2.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  52.4 KB

Last edited by ajcadoo; 03-01-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No pick. Well I dont see one anyways...o well. I am sure you can either buy a piece of metal or plastic to cut and attach to the back of the grill. Either way you can paint it black so its dark and really it would be hard to tell. A buddy of mine did so on his truck. Cut a piece of metal from home depot to the exact size. He also had to do some other things to make it fit properly but he did it. Painted it black and it looks great. He just didn't like seeing his radiator and what not. But that is what I would do. I would imagine someone would have a better idea maybe.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kyledye25
No pick. Well I dont see one anyways...o well. I am sure you can either buy a piece of metal or plastic to cut and attach to the back of the grill. Either way you can paint it black so its dark and really it would be hard to tell. A buddy of mine did so on his truck. Cut a piece of metal from home depot to the exact size. He also had to do some other things to make it fit properly but he did it. Painted it black and it looks great. He just didn't like seeing his radiator and what not. But that is what I would do. I would imagine someone would have a better idea maybe.
yeah, thats actually probably my best bet. thanks for the input
Old 03-01-2010, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ajcadoo
yeah, thats actually probably my best bet. thanks for the input

Yep no prob. I got the pic to work. Not sure if you changed anything but it just came up lol. I think adding a piece of metal back there would be fine. If you do so hope it goes well. And put up picks maybe of the process...or at least final results. I would deff like to see how it looks.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I was gonna say a piece of dark tinted plexi glued to the backside should work fine. It sux that they sell grills open like that when they are not suppossed to be.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
I was gonna say a piece of dark tinted plexi glued to the backside should work fine. It sux that they sell grills open like that when they are not suppossed to be.
completely agree, anyway, what i did was put a black trash bag covered cardboard piece behind the grill. Oddly enough, we just had a rain storm and it worked shockingly well. I will probably have to replace them frequently, but it is better than nothing!
Old 03-20-2010, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

That's pretty ghetto. If you bought clear plexiglass or acrylic you could make a backing that would be pretty tough to see.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
That's pretty ghetto. If you bought clear plexiglass or acrylic you could make a backing that would be pretty tough to see.
tell me about it, it's as ghetto as it gets, but is completely invisible to the naked eye when on the roads. You have to get within a foot of the grille to actually notice the crinkles in the trash bag. However, it does a beast of a job combating rain and dirt. Once I have more time after school this summer, I will fabricate a more permanent solution.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

BTW, where did you get a "chrome" grill. I thought all those billit grilles were buffed/painted aluminum. How bout some pics?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:10 AM
Banned
SL Member

I just used some inexpensive lightwieght aluminum roof flashing from home depot. Cuts easy and never rusts. Real thin, but very strong. Looks completely low key and not obvious at all. I have a Fantasy Creations grille and it was open, also. Use VHB 3m tape for securing.

Looks like this--

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amerimax-Home-Pr...item5636949cd6

Last edited by OakToddler; 03-23-2010 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
BTW, where did you get a "chrome" grill. I thought all those billit grilles were buffed/painted aluminum. How bout some pics?
sorry, its not chrome, but anything metal with a mirrored surface is "chrome" from my vocabulary. im sure it was just aluminum
Old 03-23-2010, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OakToddler
I just used some inexpensive lightwieght aluminum roof flashing from home depot. Cuts easy and never rusts. Real thin, but very strong. Looks completely low key and not obvious at all. I have a Fantasy Creations grille and it was open, also. Use VHB 3m tape for securing.

Looks like this--

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amerimax-Home-Pr...item5636949cd6
wow, if only there were a kudos system on theses forums. thanks for the helpful post!